Community for Fictoromantics?

MarieIsEatingTacobell

WoodwindWhistler
On 11/10/2015 at 6:02 AM, Robin L said:

I'm pretty sure the fandom community of whatever you're into will have similar experiences, thought they might not use the term specifically.

Personally I'm only sexually and romantically attracted to non-human fictional characters, but that's beyond the point.

Like anthros? Or including aliens, bots, or other? 

On 11/11/2015 at 3:22 AM, ZombiesAndSlasherMovies said:

YES. The few other people I've found that are fans of my partner do the crush thing. "He's so hot omg what a babe oh my gosh cinnamon roll" and just- that's fine but that's not what how I feel. I love him, and so- I can't relate to them. The entire point of my search is to find people I relate to. I try reading fan fictions and such that the fandom writes, but oh my god. It's so legitimately frustrating because the vast majority of the fandom doesn't, nor do they care to actually understand him. As a result, they tend to write him completely out of character and it drives me nuts.

Shoot, yeah. I have yet to see anyone who's interpreted Asgore or Toriel from Undertale as wise, experienced, IMMORTAL WARRIORS and statesmen instead of just goofy mom and pop, (or otherwise one-dimensional) and it irritates me to no end. 

I don't know that I'm romantically attracted to either of them (might be more spiritual than anything?) but I am very attached.

On 6/15/2017 at 4:50 AM, SamwiseLovesLife said:

I'm curious, are you all similar ages or varied? I only ask because I and others I know who were romantically drawn to fictional characters essentially grew out of it when I/we got to be adults, but is that the same for you or are you older and still have these feelings?

I'm 26, and I'd consider the relationship I had a few years ago and my current one more important than the characters, but that doesn't meant the characters aren't plenty important. Someone calls me poly lite (for other reasons) and it seems to fit in this context as well. 

• 11 months later...
Memento-Mori

Hello everyone

I've created a topic on the Discord tchat, it's written in french but everyone can come here "Our fictional characters"
Notice that everyone who is clearly open-minded and do believe that ficts exist are welcome.
Feel free to join, a friend of mine and me are already there:

https://discord.gg/3PgYGg

Hope you'll come !

itsmeelysemarie

I'm proculsexual. That is, I'm mostly attracted to celebrities and sometimes characters. By the way, @ZombiesAndSlasherMovies, I do believe I'm following that blog.

IrishArcher
On 6/17/2018 at 9:34 PM, CummingDelights said:

I'm proculsexual. That is, I'm mostly attracted to celebrities and sometimes characters.

I'm pretty much the opposite. Even if I'm attracted to a character in a live-action film or show, I'm not attracted to the actor when they're not in character. I'll find the character's personality attractive first, and then the face only looks attractive when paired with that personality. I feel nothing for the actor (except maybe some admiration for their talent), even if I'm completely in love with a character with their face.

98slbrookes98
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 8:23 AM, ZombiesAndSlasherMovies said:

Hi there! I'm back again with another Fict thread.

Fictoromantic- Someone who is romantically attracted to fictional characters.

With the last thread that I posted in search of other people like me, who fall in love with fict characters, I actually got a lot of great responses from a lot of you who have felt exactly, or at least somewhat like I do before. A lot more then I thought to be honest with you. Especially considering I have spent the better part of the last year and a half searching desperately for some kind of group somewhere of other fictoromantics.

Now that I know that there are actually a few of you guys here, I wanted to keep the conversation going. There are so many feelings and things I go through that only other ficts would understand with no way of communicating any of it! Not to mention, there are so many different ways that I've seen you guys describe how you connect with or feel close to someone you have feelings for, that I think it'd make for a very diverse community.

Is there any specific places out there for ficts to go to? Any communities I've missed? Or maybe, should we start one here? That'd be amazing, I think!

In any case, thanks in advanced for the input. Feel free to direct message me as well if you don't feel comfortable publicly posting.

I'm sort of gray-fictoromantic because while I have many favourite characters (both male and female) romantic attraction develops very rarely and usually only after seeing the character consistently over many episodes. Captain Kirk of Star Trek was my strongest fictional crush but then I know that won't go anywhere as he is fictional and I'm not interested in the actor (hence why I don't consider myself biromantic) What I tend to do is watch scenes with the character in it online and then if I want to move on watch some other character. I hope one day virtual reality will develop to the point where we can interact with our favourite fictional characters. That would be ideal. 

• 4 months later...
alienlifeform
On 6/15/2017 at 10:50 AM, SamwiseLovesLife said:

I'm curious, are you all similar ages or varied? I only ask because I and others I know who were romantically drawn to fictional characters essentially grew out of it when I/we got to be adults, but is that the same for you or are you older and still have these feelings?

Personally, I've had feelings for fictional characters ever since I can remember, mostly light crushes, but two of them more serious, longer lasting attachments (meaning several years 😅). I read, write, act and draw a lot, I live off creativity.

I'm almost 20 now, still "young" in human terms, though I think I have reason to believe that I have already lived through quite a lot in this life 🤔 🤷🏼‍♂️ I'm a child at heart, which I believe is important, but I'm also an adult, and I know who I am right now, in this very moment. 

I've identified as aromantic/asexual "in real life" for several years now. I love deeply and unconditionally, but never romantically so far -- that is, not for alive souls outside of books/movies/[...] in any case. I am open though. Always. Should I ever fall in love with another soul, I'd let it happen gladly. And if it were to make me feel even remotely like the way I feel thinking about my fictional crushes/loves, then oh, why on Earth wouldn't I want to experience falling for another soul? ❤️

Peace ✌

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd comment as well! I'd be super interested in a community for fictoromantic/sexual people. I love talking about my feelings, and sometimes I feel like quite a few people don't understand how/why I'd be interested in a fictional character over a "real person". Having a place to talk about these kinds of things would be nice!

1 hour ago, alienlifeform said:

Personally, I've had feelings for fictional characters ever since I can remember, mostly light crushes, but two of them more serious, longer lasting attachments (meaning several years 😅). I read, write, act and draw a lot, I live off creativity.

I'm almost 20 now, still "young" in human terms, though I think I have reason to believe that I have already lived through quite a lot in this life 🤔 🤷🏼‍♂️ I'm a child at heart, which I believe is important, but I'm also an adult, and I know who I am right now, in this very moment. 

I've identified as aromantic/asexual "in real life" for several years now. I love deeply and unconditionally, but never romantically so far -- that is, not for alive souls outside of books/movies/[...] in any case. I am open though. Always. Should I ever fall in love with another soul, I'd let it happen gladly. And if it were to make me feel even remotely like the way I feel thinking about my fictional crushes/loves, then oh, why on Earth wouldn't I want to experience falling for another soul? ❤️

Peace ✌

This is so me too! I remember getting my first crush when I was maybe 8 or 9? I remember I would run home from school every day just to watch the show he was in, and since we were around the same age I related to him a lot and kinda looked up to him too! I'm much older now (mid twenties), but still very much like and relate to fictional characters more than 3D people! I can't say that I'm open to a 3D relationship, I just don't get romantic/sexual feelings for real people, but I'm always open to deep platonic bonds! 

alienlifeform
1 hour ago, Strifed said:

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd comment as well! I'd be super interested in a community for fictoromantic/sexual people. I love talking about my feelings, and sometimes I feel like quite a few people don't understand how/why I'd be interested in a fictional character over a "real person". Having a place to talk about these kinds of things would be nice!

This is so me too! I remember getting my first crush when I was maybe 8 or 9? I remember I would run home from school every day just to watch the show he was in, and since we were around the same age I related to him a lot and kinda looked up to him too! I'm much older now (mid twenties), but still very much like and relate to fictional characters more than 3D people! I can't say that I'm open to a 3D relationship, I just don't get romantic/sexual feelings for real people, but I'm always open to deep platonic bonds! 

Yeah, a place for fictoromantic/-sexual people would be great!

It's always nice to realise once more that you are not alone, no matter in which aspect of your life 😇

Ah yes, my first fictional crush, I think I was ten, I'd re-read the book pages he turned up on all the time, until I almost knew them by heart 😂

@alienlifeform true that! I always feel so awkward at work and out and about when my coworkers/others talk about their boyfriends/SOs, and I can't quite talk about the way I feel  because well... you get awkward looks haha. 

Lol! I did that too, but with games. I played the crap out of them, and for one character I used to like I racked up maybe 300 hours in just one game with him haha. I knew the world map like the back of my hand, and using his moves was almost like breathing to me.

alienlifeform

@Strifed Know the feeling. I'm always happy for them being in love like that, and I tell them so, it's just that I can't... respond "properly". Because responding in kind, along the lines of "Yeah, I think I understand, I love [insert name of fictional character here] just as much as you love [insert name of actual breathing person]. Every new thing I discover about them, every new situation they navigate in their own unique way, just leaves me breathless." would probably make the other person feel like I'm downgrading their feelings -- even though I'm being serious, and honest 😂 Oh man.

I'm not much of a gamer (sometimes I play RPGs like Skyrim or some small game) but I feel you ✌🏼

@alienlifeform haha yeah that would be quite awkward to say that! I feel like a lot of people don't take fictional characters too seriously either, so they'd definitely be taken off guard by that statement. 

Oh, I play Skyrim too sometimes! I feel like it's impossible to ever complete that game. There's just too much stuff to do!

• 6 months later...
CelesteAdAstra

This thread may be a bit old, but it seems like the perfect place to write down my emotions.

I consider myself to be mostly fictoromantic - most of the people I have been romantically attracted to have either been from movies or books. I agree with everyone on this thread who has said that they don't feel like a normal fandom is a good place to share their love, because being fictoromantic or -sexual is so different from having normal crushes on characters. I, too, have had crushes, on fictional and real people alike. But deeper love? I have only found that in fictional characters. Joining a fandom where everyone objectifies your love interest and constantly talks about how hot they are, that is an awful feeling. It feels so much better to find other fictoromantics here who share the sincerity and depth in affection that fandoms are lacking.

To me, falling in love with a fictional character has never been about fearing relationships, as some could assume. No, it's simply that I have always seen something in my fictional love interests that I have never found in real people. It's just like any other orientation: the attraction is innate and I can't change it. If I could make my beloved real, heaven knows I would do so and sacrifice a lot for it. Too many nights, I have cried because my love is not real and I can not be with him, because he suffers and I can not dry his tears.

Maybe I fall for them because I, myself, feel like I am out of this world? Maybe it's because I feel misplaced in the modern age (most love interests have been from historical or fantasy movies). Maybe I'm just unlucky and my "type" doesn't exist anymore or never did. Whatever it is, and however sad it can sometimes be, knowing there's someone whom I love deeply and care so much for makes me happier than anything else. Living in my head, in the end it may really be enough.

Like some of you have said, I don't feel any connection to the actors portraying love interests either. They are such different people, and it's really the personality that makes them so beautiful. Seeing the actor - this person who shares my fictional SO's face, but not their personality or soul - feels really weird sometimes and never gives me butterflies.

I'd really love it if there were a forum just for fictoromantics and -sexuals. Sadly I'm too lazy to make one myself, but if anyone would do it, you could count me in 😂 Until then, this thread could be considered a start, I guess.

And by the by, OP, I really love your blog 👍

itsmeelysemarie

Welcome to AVEN, @CelesteAdAstra. You're in good company here. 

Loving unattainable people and characters just feels natural and right to me even though I've also an irl love.

sorrow-of-mind

Although I've experienced a few crushes on real people (one time deep love even - not reciprocated though) I tend to be more interested  in fictional chatracters - from books, movies, computer games. They are usually designed in a unique way, have outstanding personalities and a mixture of traits I find attractive.

With my veritably vivid imagination I can just close my eyes and spend time with my favourite chars, although I have no illusions to find anyone near them in real life. But, hey! Hope dies last.

Archived