Asexual Research Request

eezveeneecha

Study: Becoming Impossible: Narratives of Identity Performance and Importance in Self-Identified Asexuals

My name is Heather Mitchell, and I am a graduate student at the University of North Carolina Greensboro (UNCG) in the Sociology department. I am interested in interviewing individuals who self-identify as asexual to develop unique narratives of asexual identity performance and importance. This study has been approved by the UNCG Institutional Review Board (IRB).

You must be 18 or older to participate. Participation in this study includes a two part in-depth interview about your asexual identity and the importance of that identity to your lived experience. Each interview should last at least an hour, though they may last longer. Total time commitment could range from 2-5 hours. Participants who complete both parts of the interview will be compensated $25 for their time and participation in the study.

All records from the interviews will remain private and confidential, and will be secured at UNCG. Consent is voluntary and can be removed at any point during the interviews.

If you are interested in participating or if you have any questions regarding the interview or topic, please feel free to contact me at hsmitche@uncg.edu or aireonsmom@yahoo.com, or via the phone at 336-253-1087 (cell) or 336-334-3273 (UNCG).

This research request has been reviewed by the AVEN Project Team and approved for posting.

The Project Team has reviewed and approved of the advertising for this Research Request.

Steph

Dedicated Research Contact.

Is this an over the phone interview? If you could please specify what media it will be taken through?

Thank you. :cake: :)

The interviews will be completed via Skype but will only be audio recorded (no visual recording).

Please feel free to ask me any other questions

Heather

• 1 month later...

2-5 hours on skype sounds prohibitive. Can you post your questions here so that people can

a) respond in writing, and

b) indicate whether they would be willing to have a follow-up interview (in writing or on skype) in case you have any further questions?

not to mention - Skype would be impossible for myself, as i am not "out" to my family, husb. I would have to do a lot of explaining (or out myself, due to talking to someone about asex). So... just saying, your "subjects" would be limited, not as diverse as it should be, imo.

Archived