Sexual Orientations of Blood Relatives

heartfulReverie

Sexual Orientations of Blood Relatives  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Please select all of the following that apply to you (family members must be related to you by blood):

• I have one immediate family member (parent/sibling) who is homosexual.
    • I have one immediate family member (parent/sibling) who is sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have one immediate family member (parent/sibling) who is asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have two immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are homosexual.
    • I have two immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have two immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have three or more immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are homosexual.
    • I have three or more immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have three or more immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have one extended family member (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who is homosexual.
    • I have one extended family member (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who is sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have one extended family member (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who is asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have two extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are homosexual.
    • I have two extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have two extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have three or more extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are homosexual.
    • I have three or more extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have three or more extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have no family members (or none to my knowledge) who have non-heteronormative sexual orientations.
    • I have a family member who has a/have family members who have non-heteronormative sexual orientation(s) not previously mentioned. (Please comment how they are related to you and what orientation(s) they identify as.)
  2. 2. Do you think non-heteronormative sexualities run in families?

• Yes.
    • Maybe.
    • No.
    • Unsure.
  3. 3. Do you feel your family background somehow contributed to your sexuality?

• Yes.
    • Maybe.
    • No.
    • Unsure.

This poll is closed to new votes

I think my mom might be bi, but I really don't know for sure. Other than that, my family is pretty straight. As far as I know, I'm the only non-straight person.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost all my female relatives are asexual, though nobody would ever use this term. Being raised in our tradition means such desires have been completely and permanently eliminated. Sexuality is considered a necessary evil and for reproduction only. The alternative to marrying and having many children is celibacy. There are lesbian couples among us who are readily accepted, none of them would ever consider having sex in any form or shape.

Mychemicalqpr

Interesting topic--I'm curious about whether or not orientations are genetic. It seems reasonable that if it's not nurture, then it's nature. I'm not sure what to say though. I know almost nothing about my biological father's side of the family, and my mom's side is pretty religious and conservative so of course they all identify as straight. I've talked about how I think my mom is actually demisexual though, including her verbatim saying she doesn't feel sexual attraction until she's formed a close emotional connection. Then my brother has a lot of ace moments and has said that the word sexy doesn't make sense to him. So while there's no one else out as non-heterosexual on my mom's side, I suspect that there could actually ace spectrum genes here that are being called "abstinence", "patience", or "caution".

• 1 month later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2015. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Snow Owl

SPF&A, Census & Site Comments Moderator

Archived