Sexual Orientations of Blood Relatives

heartfulReverie

Sexual Orientations of Blood Relatives  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Please select all of the following that apply to you (family members must be related to you by blood):

• I have one immediate family member (parent/sibling) who is homosexual.
    • I have one immediate family member (parent/sibling) who is sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have one immediate family member (parent/sibling) who is asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have two immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are homosexual.
    • I have two immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have two immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have three or more immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are homosexual.
    • I have three or more immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have three or more immediate family members (parent/sibling) who are asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have one extended family member (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who is homosexual.
    • I have one extended family member (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who is sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have one extended family member (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who is asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have two extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are homosexual.
    • I have two extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have two extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have three or more extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are homosexual.
    • I have three or more extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are sexually attracted to more than one gender (i.e. bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, polysexual, etc.).
    • I have three or more extended family members (parent's sibling/cousin/grandparent/etc.) who are asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual.
    • I have no family members (or none to my knowledge) who have non-heteronormative sexual orientations.
    • I have a family member who has a/have family members who have non-heteronormative sexual orientation(s) not previously mentioned. (Please comment how they are related to you and what orientation(s) they identify as.)
  2. 2. Do you think non-heteronormative sexualities run in families?

• Yes.
    • Maybe.
    • No.
    • Unsure.
  3. 3. Do you feel your family background somehow contributed to your sexuality?

• Yes.
    • Maybe.
    • No.
    • Unsure.

This poll is closed to new votes

heartfulReverie

Researchers have found possible links between asexuality and other non-heteronormative sexual orientations, such as a higher chance of being left-handed or toward having elder brothers. Strong trends lean towards non-heteronormative orientations running in families, so with that in mind I created this poll. Please select all of the options that apply to you.

IMPORTANT!!!

• Family members must be related to you (no aunts who married in, adoptive parents, etc.).
  • Please answer only with family members whose sexualities are completely confirmed, not just suspected (feel free to comment any suspicions though).

Thank you for contributing if you do/did so. :cake:

Agent Rainbow

I mean there could be some people who aren't hetero in my family, but we don't really talk about that stuff. The unspoken rule is you're cishet, end of story. So I'm probably the only one who doesn't follow the rules.

I really wouldn't be surprised if my mom was gray-ace or something. But everyone in my family is pretty much assumed to be cishet as well. Not even sure how much people in my family know about LGBT+ issues.

My Mom is confirmed bi, she told me when I came out as ace to her.

My sis could possibly be bisexual or perhaps just bi-aesthetic. She claims she is 100% heterosexual but I've caught her reading fanfics a couple times and she also shows an interest in certain feminine.....assets. I think she's probably just bi-aesthetic though, since she is an artist.

Also one of my cousins/step sisters (yes, both) might be bi judging by some behavior I saw when we were kids.

I don't have any confirmed non-straight blood relatives, but my two aunts always struck me as somewhere on the aro/ace spectra. However, one of them recently (actually, it's been awhile now) got together with a guy and I'm not so sure on her now (not that relationship means not ace or anything, but idk, they moved pretty quickly and stuff). As for the other aunt, I still definitely think she could be ace or something. Those are both on my mom's side. My great aunt on my dad's side never married. She died before I knew about asexuality, but sometimes I wonder. It's possible she just chose to focus on other things (she helped raise my dad and stuff), but who knows.

Researchers have found possible links between asexuality and other non-heteronormative sexual orientations, such as a higher chance of being left-handed or toward having elder brothers.

This is interesting, btw. My one cousin who's gay is the youngest of three brothers and also left-handed.

In case anyone is interested, this video discusses that: https://youtu.be/GLGvdyGCSNE

I have a gay second cousin. The rest have never explicitly stated their orientation. I just assume they're heterosexual.

Strong trends lean towards non-heteronormative orientations running in families.

I'd like to see the resource(s) for that statement.

allrightalready

i only know half of my genetics, of those who i know they are either totally heteronormative or so far into the closet they are in narnia

My brother ain't hetero-normative thats for sure. What he is exactly I honestly dont know, he does what he wants lol. He has come out as Bi and Gay and Trans though presently lives as cismale and doesn't date at all. Has previously dated(and been engaged) to all genders, has a son and has lived as a woman and done hormone therapy.

My mom is Polyamourus but only with men.

I suspect my great Aunt is Aro Ace but not confirmed.

A cousin I have never met I am told is gay.

This is exclusively one side of my family, so I could believe genetic ties lol

All heterosexuals in my biological family I think. I don't exclude the possibility that my half-brother was bisexual though, as no one knew how many partners he had, but I'll never know as he's dead.

My mother is aromantic from what I can see, but she's schizophrenic and lacks feelings in general, she just has desires and impulses. Schizophrenia runs in this family for as many generations as I know, and am I on the aromantic spectrum because of her genes I carry ? Maybe. I haven't developed schizophrenia though, or not yet, but I do have neurological problems.

One distant relative who was homosexual, otherwise everyone has been heteronormative.

I have seen some research which suggests inherited non-heteronormative sexuality is a possibility, but nothing conclusive

In my case I'm absolutely certain that family background had nothing to do with asexuality

As far as I know everyone in my family are all cis heterosexuals, I should imagine very few of them have heard of anything beyond heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual and transgender. On the one occasion the topic came up at a family dinner was that my aunt said 'statically at least one of us should be gay' this the point where my dad and brother point to me and say that there is.

This is basically the only time I ever hear talk about orientations is when I'm being told that I'm gay (its only really my dad, brother and granddad - they take every up every random opportunity to point this out - but I know my mum suspects that I'm gay too - since I won't talk about boys with her.)

I answered "maybe" to the question about running in the family because hey, you can never know. But it doesn't seem to be my case - nobody else in my extended family is anything but heteronormative.

I am the only non-cis heterosexual I know of in my family.

Autumn Season

Even if one of my family is NOT cishet, I don't think they would ever admit it. So they might all be cishet. Or not.

Wait, there is one exception. The son of my grandma's sister (I call him "uncle") is gay.

But. I have some suspicions.

Sister: Aro ace.

Mom: Demi.

Aunt (mom's twin): Grey.

Two cousins (who are brothers): Aro ace.

Grandma: Ace.

Grandma's sister: Aro ace.

I didn't check any options on the poll, because I don't know anything for sure with that one exception.

Idea: What if those biological connections are really just about being in the closet or not? Since each family has its own dynamics, there might be some which are more open about their sexualities than others. Honesty => Looks from the outside like there are more non-hets.

Sleepy Skeleton

I have a pretty conservative family on both sides, so I doubt I'd know about it anyway. I rarely see any of them.

I do have a cousin on my dad's side who is currently engaged to a woman. They're going to get married this Saturday, in fact. I don't know about her sexual orientation for sure since she has previously dated men, so I voted for her as bisexual. She's the only one I know of.

Sometimes I wonder about my mom's cousin (my cousin once removed?), though. She never married or had kids or anything. I've never heard of her dating anyone. She just lives with her cats and frequently spends time with her parents. It sounds like my future, to be honest. :P

I have a cousin who is bi, a gay cousin, a gay aunt and a gay uncle.

But that is still not a lot at all if you take into account how big my family is. I have six aunts and uncles and nine cousins.

I'm the only gay one in the family, as far as I know of? My mum's ace, though, and I get the feeling her cousin's wife is pan. But that's just a hunch; she seems very open about the possibility judging by the way she speaks to me about women. The rest's just cishet and overly religious.

All my immediate family members are straight, as are most of my extended family members, but I have an openly gay cousin.

As far as I am aware, everyone in my family (except for me) is heteronormative. I do have my suspicions about one of my cousins, but nothing that I can confirm.

I'm sure that most of my family members that I'm aware of (which probably isn't much) are straight. However, considering how big both sides of the family are...geez!-Finding someone that's not either of those would probably be like finding a needle in a haystack.

As far as I know, everyone in my family is straight. I wouldn't be surprised if my brother also turned out to be on the asexual spectrum, but that's just my own personal suspicion and not anything that's confirmed.

As for whether non-cishet orientations run in families, I don't really know. I think it's hard to really comment on that type of thing without know what causes asexuality in the first place. I don't think my orientation was effected by the rest of my family, but I don't know that for sure, and I certainly don't know if that is true for everyone.

One immediate and one extended family member are on the asexual spectrum, so yes and yes.

Her feelings are restricted to fear, anger and frustration. If you don't believe me, meet her and you'll see by yourself.

aussiekirkland

My family is pretty homophobic so I'm gonna go with no ;.;

My extended family (going into second cousins, grandparents' siblings, and the like) is very varied, and my generation is pretty open about it. The older generations are mostly hearsay, but... It sounds like it runs on both sides of my family prettily heavily.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived