German Ace Conference, Sep. 17th, 2016

Carmilla DeWinter

Carmilla DeWinter

Due to the positive feedback, AktivistA has decided to host another conference on asexuality for German speaking aces in 2016.

Date: September 17th, 2016

Place: Stuttgart, Zentrum Weissenburg

I'm going to post updates and links here.

Frustrated German-speaking ace who does not live in Germany and who will not be able to be there :(

Great project though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Carmilla DeWinter

We now have three confirmed speakers.

Annika Spahn of Freibung university hasn't disclosed yet what she'll talk about, Irina is going to dissect the presentation of a_sexuality in the German media, and I'm aiming for a workshop on a_sexuality in fiction.

(What's with the gap? We're trying to make the ace spectrum visible in writing.)

Carmilla DeWinter

@ charlie AA: Yes. Why?

@ menntun: Not really, so you can decide last minute. In the rather unlikely event that we have more applicants than seats, we'll announce that on the homepage.

• 2 months later...

Hi Carmilla,

I have just found out about this conference and I have a question.

There seem to be very few (if any) ACE events in Western Europe. At least I have so far not been lucky to find one. At the same time as you can imagine I would love an opportunity to meet in person people from the Asexual community.

Regarding the AktivistA conference - of course I understand that there is a need to hold an even for a German speaking community - but I wonder if it would be possible to also have a simultaneous interpretation at the event to allow people from the neighboring countries to attend? I imagine this could be of interest to people in Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, maybe even UK and Ireland.

From my side I would be glad to offer help with getting quotes from the interpretation companies, to help AktivistA assess this idea.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

P.

Due to the positive feedback, AktivistA has decided to host another conference on asexuality for German speaking aces in 2016.

Date: September 17th, 2016

Place: Stuttgart, Zentrum Weissenburg

I'm going to post updates and links here.

Koriander

I wish I was in Germany, but I'm just all alone here.

Carmilla DeWinter

@tssunami: I'm afraid we're a rather small organization, so hiring interpreters is about ten times above what we can afford. You're also the first person who asks about non-English translations. If we're lucky, there will be videos of the talks that might get English subtitles. (No promises.)

• 2 months later...

I'm a German-English translator! I don't know if I'll make it to the conference or not, but I'd be happy to do video subtitles (either free or at a significant discount, depending on length), so that more people can access the talks. Let me know! =)

Carmilla DeWinter

@ spacerace - Thanks for the kind offer. We're still waiting for the videos from last year, so ... if the Powers The Be are willing, we'll let you translate this year's subtitles.

• 4 weeks later...
Carmilla DeWinter

So... not so long anymore. We now have a complete speaker line-up - Dr Jana Fedtke will talk about the portrayal of asexual bachelors in US TV, I will have a workshop/discussion thing about a_sexual storytelling, Isabelle Hlawatsch will tackle counseling, Fiammetta De Bornelh will compare articles about aces in German and Italian, and Annika Spahn will talk about a_sexuality in queer spaces and queer studies.

I've also looked for hotels that still have free rooms.

This sounds extremely interesting, especially the workshop. I am not yet sure whether I will be able to make it, so I'll decide spontaneously and maybe even persuade a friend of mine to come as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll come, too.

If anyone needs a place to stay for the night, let me know. I live (fairly) close to Stuttgart.

Carmilla DeWinter

@ Lilandra: Yay, cool. Also, thanks for the generous offer.

@ torriT: Crossing my fingers here.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid I won't come, sorry. Hope you folks will have a great time!

(My offer stands, though. Let me know if you need a place to stay.)

Archived