Religion

HelloToYou

crazyjerseygirl

Roman Catholic...old school style!

ahh for a latin mass in the morning...

Really though, I think i take a bit from almost every religion ive practiced. The reverance for the feminine from paganism, the calm solitude and meditation from buddism go well with catholicism. The former 2 focus on the self whilst catholicism focusus on a god, Ive unsucessfully merged the two and find myself praying mainly to the virgin mary and meditating when im doing my beads.

so yeah im all over the place...but it works for me.

TTFN

Renee'

Sex and religion, both are irrelevant to me except as anthropological topics.

Sex and religion, both are irrelevant to me except as anthropological topics.

ditto

It's normally referred to as "upbringing", and it's a basic phenomenon in all areas, not just religious belief - it's common in terms of political beliefs, for instance, and even in career choices. It isn't a matter (normally) of parents consciously brainwashing their children, it's simply a byproduct of the fact that children tend to spend more time with their parents than anyone else during their formative period, and so they get a lot of exposure to their parents' views and less exposure to alternatives.

I discovered just how true this is when I entered the teaching field. As of yet, I'm the only education major/teacher who can't name of a list of relatives in the field.

While it is true my mother has done a little demonstration for students and teachers, she did not do any of it until my last two years in college.

It means I don't have the resources the others has, and I have to discover some things on my own. I know I can't dress the way the people I grew up with dressed, because that is unprofessional for a teacher. Event he way social events are planned is different. You wouldn't think there would be a difference, but there is, and it is quite obvious when you do it differently

As of yet, I'm the only education major/teacher who can't name of a list of relatives in the field.

I never really thought about that. I have to admit I come from a long line of academics, many of them asexual.

I am a Christian. Evangelical, meaning I promote the spread of Christianity. Fundamental, Meaning I believe the Bible as the inspired words of God. Pre tribulationist, Meaning I believe the Church Age ends at the beginning of the tribulation with the Rapture or Catching Away of all people who have given themselves to Christ Jesus irregardless of their church affiliation.

I am tolerant of all other belief systems and non-belief systems. I respect everyones right to have their own opinion on everything.

I talk with anyone who wants to talk, but I don't argue religion with anyone. Obviously I am not going to change what I believe and most other people are not going to change what they believe so arguing issues is pointless.

As anyone who's followed my posts here knows, I am a strong supporter of religion in daily life (and have taught my children Bibilical stories and principles), so long as the underlying message is not overpowered by those using a church hierarchy for their own ends.

Having thusly stated my Tolerance Disclaimer , I offer the following:

nq060331.gif

I am so through with religion. So very over and done with it.

Raised by aethist parents, I was pretty much an agnostic until my husband became a fundamentalist christian. In an attempt to convince myself I believed, I read and studied and read some more; even taught myself Hebrew so I could read the sacred texts as they were originally written.

I then made a formal conversion to conservative Judaism, which I admired for its ethical teachings and love of learning. I enjoyed a brief career as a sort of professional Jew; I was a temple adminstrator and amateur cantorial soloist. Try being a practicing Jew in a marriage to a fundamentalist christian; hello, this doesn't work!

I will leave out the unpleasant circumstances that led me to abandon both Judaism and my career; except to say that a corrupt rabbi with a weird sexual fetish was involved.

I then turned to paganism, which at least seemed to make some sense; I liked the focus on the natural world and the things I can see and touch. But most of popular paganism is laughable to someone who is able to see through the new-agey BS.

So now, I'm just agnostic. Militantly agnostic. I think MacAttack said this first but, "I don't know - and you don't either!"

I'm Christian...those lately I've picked up some unusual beliefs. I think it's what the Bible really says, but I don't think too many would agree(I found a Christian forum...it was horrible. Everyone was simple minded and apathetic and messed in the head)

I'm an athiest, born and raised (though there was a brief period in which I flirted with the concept of Buddhism). But my view on religion is "Whatever gets you through the day" -- I have no problem with other people believing what they want to believe, so long as they extend me the same courtesy.

I even taught myself Hebrew so I could read the sacred texts as they were originally written.

"Hmph! Who does she think she is, that little show-off! Making the rest of us look bad. We'll fix her..."

I then made a formal conversion to conservative Judaism, which I admired for its ethical teachings and love of learning. I enjoyed a brief career as a sort of professional Jew; I was a temple adminstrator and amateur cantorial soloist. Try being a practicing Jew in a marriage to a fundamentalist christian; hello, this doesn't work!

Not surprising, though since fundamentalists tend to be big on Old Testament discipline, in principle I can't see what the big deal would be. All Christ said was, "yes, follow these excellent Judaic rules for living, but also remember to be nice to people." Oy vey, vots da big deal living with that, I ask?

a corrupt rabbi with a weird sexual fetish was involved

Ugh. Let me guess. "Satisfy my weird fetish, or you'll never get anywhere in this congregation and/or church hierarchy."

That's the sort of thing that gives religion, and religious hierarchies, a bad name, and has driven many principled people away from organized religion (or any religion, all too often, and most unfortunately.)

I'm sure glad that sort of thing doesn't happen in other religions. Particularly not ones with famous TV preachers.

I then turned to paganism, which at least seemed to make some sense; I liked the focus on the natural world and the things I can see and touch

Truly. If there is a God, can there be fault in celebrating His handiwork?

• 3 weeks later...
MonicaTTmed

Monster BUMP!

Leftist Christian of some kind, so far the best fit for me is the United Church of Christ although they still have some superstitions that I don't like.

Ho hum, you can't have your :cake: and eat it too...

Jesus was a communist!

Kemetic Orthodox First (I honor my "parents and beloveds", and ahku (anscestors) first), Ecclectic Wiccan second (any other purpose i feel the need to serve in more "coventional" ways).

Wow, I thought I was the only one! :D I'm not fully converted yet, but I think KO might be "The One" for me.

I always knew that Lake Tao was God's country (even if misspelled):

lake-tahoe-hotels-harveys-map.jpg

For a rather clever, if tasteless, digression involving the story of Lot, I can offer the cartoon in the upper right corner of this site: http://www.loservillex.com/

JokeyFairbobbin

Discordian, with leanings towards Lovecraft and chaos magic, tendencies towards eclectic Neo-Pagan. My beliefs on the nature of the universe or whatever don't fall entirely into one religion or the other, and it takes too long to describe all of it, so I stick with Discordianism whenever people ask.

A blend of Discordian and Satanist (and they don't interfere at all, how nice.) If you think my use of 'Satanist' (please note: -my- use of the word, in this post, not necessarily what others might mean when claiming themselves to be one) has anything to do with the Christian Devil, well... let me just say, that's not it at all.

Not a member of the actual church yet, but give it time.

If Kassil ever posts to this thread, I know exactly what answer he'll give. :P

liang_xi_guang

I am a Chinese Protestant Christian affiliated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance. We are also Evangelicals. I was baptized into the Chinese Alliance Church, which is a subset of the Christian and Missionary Alliance. I am a devoute disciple of Christ, and studying psychology and Christian theology in order that I might spread His Love and His Truth to women in China.

Devout Discordian by philosophy, agnostic Discordian by faith, and skeptical Discordian by deed, am I.

Devout in that I can see that Chaos is, really, the fundamental essence of the world. Chaos is creation and destruction, order and disorder, all mingled into a single, dynamic mass. The old is destroyed to be replaced by the new; from the seething Disorder are born complex orderly structures, which eventually are swept away by further tides of disorder.

Agnostic Discordian because while I accept that there may well be a Divine Force out there (primarily because my life seems to contain a bit more High Weirdness than it really shoud), I see it mainly as a universe-wide sense of humor with a mischevous streak, rather than as a "true deity" - the universe itself may be a deity, in a sense.

Skeptical because the majority of the people in the world who profess a faith seem to utterly fail in actually understanding or following the tenants of their faith. Christians who fail to be tolerant and kind to their neighbors, Wiccans who have their heads filled with mindless fluff from people trying to make a fast buck, other Discordians who're in it solely for sex and drugs (neither of which I deal with), and any religion with fanatics who insist that they know the only True Way. In a world with so many hypocrites, it can be hard to keep believing at times.

Archived