Announcement concerning the Chatroom

Hello everyone,

As chat regulars may notice, when you enter chat a rule page now appears that you must agree to before entering. This is to allow the Admod Team to remind members that while chat often goes unmoderated, the Terms of Service must still be followed and to allow the Admod Team to communicate to all chat regulars about issues concerning chat.

If this causes any issues with how chat functions, please let us know.

+Pookzar, Chat Administrator

What a waste. What do it really do other than making aven look paranoid? Other than being an inconvinience I can't think of it (at least, it can't be that productive considering it isn't a similar thing for each login on the forum).

There are often times when we have to warn or nudge someone and they respond, telling us they were unaware of a Chat Terms of Service. This is a way of a quick reminder before entering chat.

So what if many are unaware of the ToS in general or PM rules (no dedicated PM mod)?

So what if many are unaware of the ToS in general or PM rules (no dedicated PM mod)?

On the main forum, there is a lot more mod oversight so we can quickly get someone up to speed on what is and isn't acceptable on AVEN. With chat, someone can be behaving in a problematic way for weeks without it ever coming to our attention. So when it does and they get in trouble, they are bewildered because that's how they always acted in chat and they never knew it was a problem. With this we can get everyone roughly on the same page for chat.

PM's then? Same rules apply there and with no oversight. And most of the ToS is common knowledge. To say they didn't knew is just answered excuse.

PMs are personal messages so it seems to me as long as no one feels harassed or offended and doesn't report the other user then there is no need for mods to get involved. There is the general be respectful guidelines, but mods are not paid and aren't gonna be the conversation police. If someone is sending rude and hateful messages, someone will get mad and report it and then the loser user will be dealt with.

PM's then? Same rules apply there and with no oversight.

PMs are private so we only care about PMs if they get reported. Beyond that they are your own business. Not to mention the software does not allow anything like this to be applied to PMs.

And most of the ToS is common knowledge.

You'd be surprised.

PMs are personal messages so it seems to me as long as no one feels harassed or offended and doesn't report the other user then there is no need for mods to get involved. There is the general be respectful guidelines, but mods are not paid and aren't gonna be the conversation police. If someone is sending rude and hateful messages, someone will get mad and report it and then the loser user will be dealt with.

And why won't they be reported in chat if someone gets mad? And the level of payment is irrelevant. And it would be better with a one time agreement. Like.I don't have to agree to the rules everytime I start my xbox. Only the first time.

On a technical issue. It slows down my browser extremely, especially on iPads and 4G network. Also, chat need to be constantly rfresed on iPads and 4G networks (so guess it is causing issues to low RAM devices and not super fast networks). And now not the usual refreshing, but constant need of re-agreeing that dancing pumpkin and to "load new". In short, it cause technical problems.

On a technical issue. It slows down my browser extremely, especially on iPads and 4G network. Also, chat need to be constantly rfresed on iPads and 4G networks (so guess it is causing issues to low RAM devices and not super fast networks). And now not the usual refreshing, but constant need of re-agreeing that dancing pumpkin and to "load new". In short, it cause technical problems.

I was just in chat on my phone with data on (tried both mobile chat and regular chat) for a few hours and couldn't recreate the issue. I'll wait and see if anyone else has this issue.

I was curious what the new announcement looked like, so I tried to enter the chat room but I got a message saying I don't have access to it. I'm not sure if this is a problem from when my permissions got switched for DT or if it's something else, but I can't access the chat room at all.

I don't particularly care because I rarely ever use the chat room, but I thought I'd mention it in case others have the same problem.

I was curious what the new announcement looked like, so I tried to enter the chat room but I got a message saying I don't have access to it. I'm not sure if this is a problem from when my permissions got switched for DT or if it's something else, but I can't access the chat room at all.

I don't particularly care because I rarely ever use the chat room, but I thought I'd mention it in case others have the same problem.

Try it now.

Try it now.

whatever you did worked because it's all fixed now. Thanks Pook! :cake:

Archived