The Purple-Red Scale: An alternative to the Kinsey Scale I made. Useless or ingenious?

The Flatworm

The Flatworm

http://imgur.com/hPuGKes

The basic premise of the scale is that there are two components to a human's attraction: Who they are attracted to, and how they are attracted to them.

It is based on a 7-point number scale (Identical to Kinsey's) and a 6-point letter scale (ranging from aromantic asexual to hypersexual.)

The name "Purple-Red" comes from "Purple" (asexual) and "Red-Blooded".

In addition to replacing Tumblristic word salad, the scale should be great for dating sites.

chromanebula

That would go with bi. Maybe change bi to bi/pan, with the tagline Equal/Gender-Neutral Attraction?

chromanebula

And you might want to get rid of the "Tertiary Sexuality" part, because it can also apply to romantic asexuals and demisexuals. Maybe replace 2 and 3 with "Sex-Repulsed" and "Sex-Indifferent"? That might be a clearer distinction.

chromanebula

More differentiation between sexuals would also be an improvement (low, medium, high primary attraction).

I'm not knocking your scale; I think it's a very good idea. I just think some of the distinctions could be a bit better.

You might consider having a separate scale of "human desire" or something like that, since some people like cupiosexuals and lithsexuals experience attraction and desire differently. And how would someone who is non-binary themselves use the orientations scale? What if I'm a non-binary person who is attracted to women?

allrightalready

D6 works for me, being binary and having binary attraction does make life simpler for me though

Batman's Ace

I like the choice of purple and red, and the reasons!

It certainly covers more of the options than the normal 0-6 (X) scale, although like any diagram it doesn't include every single nuance.

I just noticed that you say this would be ideal for dating sites. This might not entirely suitable for that on its own. For example, some people who are aromantic do like dating... which goes back to why you might need the "human desire" scale I mentioned, since that aromantic person would have the desire for romance even if they don't feel attraction. Also not sure if this allows for non-ace aros, or for people who are romantically attracted to one gender and sexually attracted to another.

I definitely think it's an interesting concept but I feel like there are some things missing. It covers more than the regular scale does, which is a plus

And you might want to get rid of the "Tertiary Sexuality" part, because it can also apply to romantic asexuals and demisexuals. Maybe replace 2 and 3 with "Sex-Repulsed" and "Sex-Indifferent"? That might be a clearer distinction.

Yeah, "tertiary sexuality" seems to suggest that "asexuality" is about behavior (instead of attraction) and that asexual people who have sex aren't really asexual people, which definitely isn't the case and certainly not how I view "asexuality."

I'd miss sapioromantic, but otherwise I'd go for B2. :)

ladydandyyvette

I like it better than Kinsey but like many others have said there are still things missing. What about 'Grey A'? Would that be under C?

Kuromi Akumura

I'm confused where i am on it because i could be a C or B but not really attracted to any gender since i only have had one exception that makes me not A

Guest Cairne Bloodhoof

Good work :) . According to your scale, I am B1, as I want to have romantic relationship. I am attracted to the opposite sex, but I think I may have relationship with sex:female/gender: genderqueer type of person too.

A Member Once Known As tqz

If that fits your perspective of people, then fine…

I don't really see anything on the chart for me, or anybody else (i.e. a real person)…

Thank you for sharing your own perspective of people. I won't assume I understand it.

for the most part people seem to like it and find it quite useful (I have shared it with a few friends), however, I am neither here nor there about it.

Archived