Welcome to Census! - Please Read

Larien

Hello everyone, and welcome to Census: The Land of Polls! Here you will find threads with a wide variety of topics - some serious, others more lighthearted and random.

You’ll find that some of the more serious topics in Census are a little more touchy than others. Sometimes opinions cross - while all opinions are welcome, please just remember that Census is not the place for heated debates about those opinions, a more appropriate forum for such discussions would be either Philosophy, Politics & Science or The Hot Box. Please don’t get personal with your opinions, and avoid using insulting or offensive language, especially when sharing controversial opinions; i.e. please keep those opinions as generalized as possible and present them as respectfully as possible to avoid making other members feel singled out.

You might notice that threads periodically get moved out of Census. If you had originally made a thread in Census and it’s no longer in Census, there are a few possible explanations, with what you can expect from me in each situation:

> Your thread didn’t have a poll.
Census is exclusive to threads with polls attached to them. If your thread doesn’t have a poll, it unfortunately can’t stay in Census.
Having problems making polls? Many of you have experienced the site getting fussy when you try to add a poll, as sometimes the poll just flat-out won’t show up. I have no idea why this happens, but I've done some experiments with this and I’ve personally found that trying to “Preview Post” after creating the poll erases the poll, like it was never there. If you are having problems setting up a poll, try to pay attention to not clicking that button, after creating the poll, before you post. See if that makes any difference. This goes for editing polls into threads, too. It has been my experience that clicking the “Preview Post” button makes it “forget” that you made any changes to a poll for the thread. (It’s still okay to use that button before making the poll, though.)
If you’re still having a problem setting up your poll, please PM me so I can help, or you can wait for a PM from me asking you if you want help, so the thread can stay in Census. If you want your thread to be a Census thread, I want to help with the poll! I understand that sometimes this can get frustrating (as I've experienced the frustration) so if you need help, you can either tag the moderator (currently @iff as of 11/10/2019) or send them a private message.

> Your thread was moved to the Census Archive.
The Archives are home to all the old polls that were once in the main Census forum. Approximately one year after their creation, each poll is closed and moved into the read-only Archive for members to view at their leisure. For example, if you made a thread last October, it will be archived at the end of this coming October / beginning of November. This is done to try to keep the votes in the polls as current and up-to-date with AVEN’s userbase as possible. If your poll is at least a year old, it has most likely been archived. Please note that I lock and move several of these threads into the Archive at once, so I don’t PM the authors when archiving their threads, as (a) there are simply too many at once, and (b) sometimes those members aren’t around anymore after that year anyway. Instead of a pm, I will tag the user that started the poll and if you have notifications enabled for mentions, you should get a notification the next time you log onto Aven.

This doesn’t mean the topic of your thread has to be silenced forever! If a thread you wanted has been archived, we encourage you to make a new one! Indeed this can be useful to see any changing demographics or interests in the Aven community. And some polls can be very fun :D Essentially if you want to rerun a poll from the past, go for it

> Your thread was moved elsewhere on AVEN.
If it seems like your thread might get better responses in or would be better suited for a different area of AVEN, or if your thread continues to go without a poll, it may be moved to another forum.
If your thread from Census gets moved to a different forum, you will receive a PM from me about the move, and I encourage you to respond with whatever concerns you have about the move. If you have any questions about the move, I will do my best to address them myself. That being said, I never move threads without getting a second opinion first. If you want to talk about getting your thread moved back to Census, I will most likely have to talk about it with the mod(s) of the other forum. It’s perfectly okay to ask this! - Just please be patient in waiting for a response, and understand that myself and/or the other mod(s) still might decide the other forum is a better fit. If you still feel strongly about having a Census thread, you can still make a version of your thread that’s more suitable for Census if you want to. I’m happy to help if you’d like. I want your experiences in Census, and on AVEN, to be happy.

> Helpful Tips

The forum software allows you to edit your polls but please be careful about doing so.

1) If you edit a poll while someone is voting in it, it may affect the count.

2) If you are adding an option to a poll by editing the poll, please add it to the bottom of the list of poll choices as the space. So if you change an option from space 2 in the poll question to space 3, those that already voted in space 2 remains to the option for space 2.

3) Contingent questions is when there is a particular response needed. All poll questions must be answered or an error will occur when a person votes so if you have a question based on a particular response to include a "Does not apply" option. So for example, "Do you Read?" (Yes/No). What books do you like to read? (fiction/nonfiction/i don't read)

4) If you draft a question, then delete it, the number is deleted so if you deleted the question 5, it will go question 4 then question 6. This would mean that the poll could only have 9 questions in it as the space for question 5 is gone. Don't worry about it, this has happened me before,

6) if your poll target is a specific group, specify this in the Thread Title so if for example, it was for panromantics, then have [Panromantics Only] in the title. 

7) Have fun

Whelp, that feels like a whole lot of words.
If you have any questions or need any help in regards to census, please ask here, or feel free to shoot me a PM anytime :D

• Like 9
  • 2 years later...

this post on guidelines has been updated :)

iff,

moderator,

census forum

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

this post on guidelines has been updated for a minor update (point 6 in helpful tips) :)

iff,

moderator,

census forum