.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

daveb

I don't think that will hide a whole thread though.

• Like 1

OptimisticPessimist

^^
Won’t hide threads but when you have someone on ignore, you won’t see their posts.

Anthracite_Impreza
44 minutes ago, daveb said:

I don't think that will hide a whole thread though.

No, just found that out myself. Just have to be a big boy and try to ignore it myself.

• Like 1

crazy ace

How can I turn off recently used devices tracking?

pook
52 minutes ago, crazy ace said:

use a vpn

• Like 1

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
16 hours ago, crazy ace said:

Is that something on AVEN or do you mean in general? If it's something on AVEN I've never heard of it :o

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)

Does someone's profile change at all when they're banned? Like does their profile get deleted or some other way mark that they are banned?

CBC
3 minutes ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

Loes someone's profile change at all when they're banned? Like does their profile get deleted or some other way mark that they are banned?

No, and I think it's silly. Ages ago it used to say 'Banned' or whatever as someone's rank. Honestly I've thought it should show something for temporary suspensions as well. My account has been suspended for two weeks due to warnings either two or three times since I returned in early 2018 (after disappearing for about a year of my own accord) and I'm aware that people have wondered what happened. I could not possibly care less if something on my profile read "Account suspended until [whatever date]" during that time. I've also been the relayer (is that a word? 🤷🏼‍♀️) of "Yep, he was permanently banned" messages for a friend and I didn't mind doing it, but it would've been simpler to just have that info on his profile. But I knew people would wonder and he didn't have off-AVEN contact info for them, so.

I don't know what the aversion is to having info about bannings and even temporary suspensions available on someone's profile. Honestly, since I make no secret of my mental and physical health problems, it's occurred to me that when I get suspended, some people might wonder if I've kicked the bucket for one reason or another. Not trying to sound self-important, but obviously I'm aware that I'm a fairly active member, and as such, some folks might worry if I go awol. I know there are many people I'd wonder about if they just disappeared, especially if they were longtime active members and it was sudden.

But no, there's nothing on profiles that changes.

• Like 2

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
12 minutes ago, CBC said:

No, and I think it's silly. Ages ago it used to say 'Banned' or whatever as someone's rank. Honestly I've thought it should show something for temporary suspensions as well. My account has been suspended for two weeks due to warnings either two or three times since I returned in early 2018 (after disappearing for about a year of my own accord) and I'm aware that people have wondered what happened. I could not possibly care less if something on my profile read "Account suspended until [whatever date]" during that time. I've also been the relayer (is that a word? 🤷🏼‍♀️) of "Yep, he was permanently banned" messages for a friend and I didn't mind doing it, but it would've been simpler to just have that info on his profile. But I knew people would wonder and he didn't have off-AVEN contact info for them, so.

I don't know what the aversion is to having info about bannings and even temporary suspensions available on someone's profile. Honestly, since I make no secret of my mental and physical health problems, it's occurred to me that when I get suspended, some people might wonder if I've kicked the bucket for one reason or another. Not trying to sound self-important, but obviously I'm aware that I'm a fairly active member, and as such, some folks might worry if I go awol. I know there are many people I'd wonder about if they just disappeared, especially if they were longtime active members and it was sudden.

But no, there's nothing on profiles that changes.

Yeah because it's very worrying suddenly seeing someone has been inactive for a few months and you think "oh man, are they dead?" Y_Y or you know, the brain goes to all kinds of crazy places. Sometimes people just decide to leave though and that's fine (because they'll also often get an email notification if you message them and respond to say they left). But if a member has been banned and you're PMing them asking them if they're okay and they're not replying, that can get very worrying. But they can't reply because they're banned, and don't get email notifications of messages I assume?

It's not like the admods are against announcing it, because they do update the banned members thread (which is very hard to find!!) so why not just manually change banned members member titles to 'banned' (temp or permanent) or whatever, so people know what's happening??? Seems like that would save a lot of people a lot of worry!!!

• Like 2

CBC
10 minutes ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

But they can't reply because they're banned, or get email notifications of messages I assume.

Correct, yeah. You don't get emails about PMs if you're banned and there'd be no point anyway since you can't log in and reply. Of course some folks maintain off-AVEN contact with others and people can be notified that way, passing messages along or whatever, but that's not always the case. I know there are members who don't give out any personal contact info yet do care about their connections here. So tough shit for them, I guess?

Names go in the banned members thread anyway. Dunno why something on a profile would be controversial.

• Like 2

Una Salus Victus

I'm not too entirely sure about this, but it could have been a software thing. Don't quote me on this, as this is a complete guess, but it could be possible that the old software AVEN was using before the last lot of server upgrades and the likes a couple years ago may have done it automatically. Either that, or said person was moved in a group called Banned. I'm not really sure here.

Janus DarkFox

Software or Policy somewhere long ago, where a Banned group was renamed to spare a persons feelings or other reasons as it's not too nice being labelled as Banned or privacy sake

CBC

Lol, if you're the sort of person who's racked up enough concurrent warnings to get banned, you're probably not going to care that it says "Banned" on your profile. Either that or you're a troll/spammer, in which case who cares. What are we here, five-year-olds?

• Like 5

Skycaptain

I can see the logic in the profile saying "no longer a member", as that covers everything without revealing the specifics, but not being a computer person I don't know if that would be possible 

• Like 1

CBC

Oooh that reminds me! Another forum I was on, I was super active but only for maybe a year, 2012-ish, had an option for people to formally retire their accounts. Like if they wanted to leave and be locked out, their profile would say literally that -- "retired". Now, this particular forum also had "banned" as a separate category, but that wouldn't have to be the case here necessarily (like, if the software allowed for it). Or just "inactive" maybe?

• Like 1

Skycaptain
1 minute ago, CBC said:

Oooh that reminds me! Another forum I was on, I was super active but only for maybe a year, 2012-ish, had an option for people to formally retire their accounts. Like if they wanted to leave and be locked out, their profile would say literally that -- "retired". Now, this particular forum also had "banned" as a separate category, but that wouldn't have to be the case here necessarily (like, if the software allowed for it). Or just "inactive" maybe?

But as this is an asexual forum, in one sense of the term most members are inactive :P:P

• Like 1

CBC
Just now, Skycaptain said:

But as this is an asexual forum, in one sense of the term most members are inactive :P:P

True. Even a lot of the sexuals here aren't getting much action. :P 

• Like 2

OptimisticPessimist
37 minutes ago, CBC said:

This is a @Coleslaw thing. 

• Like 1

CBC
48 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

This is a @Coleslaw thing. 

Yeah, I figured that would be a tech thing.

• Like 1

crazy ace
8 hours ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

Is that something on AVEN or do you mean in general? If it's something on AVEN I've never heard of it :o

It's on aven under settings. Look at previous devices.

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
1 hour ago, crazy ace said:

It's on aven under settings. Look at previous devices.

Wait, so can other people see that? I can't see why you'd need to hide it from yourself. And if other people can see it, wouldn't setting your profile to "log me in invisibly" hide the devices as well? :o

crazy ace
38 minutes ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

Wait, so can other people see that? I can't see why you'd need to hide it from yourself. And if other people can see it, wouldn't setting your profile to "log me in invisibly" hide the devices as well? :o

It's just in case the account gets hacked, I don't want malicious users (people that hack unprofessionally) seeing my locations in that event.

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
1 hour ago, crazy ace said:

It's just in case the account gets hacked, I don't want malicious users (people that hack unprofessionally) seeing my locations in that event.

Oh yeah, I suppose you'd need a VPN in that case. I hear they're pretty easy to use, I need to get one myself because I'm sick of YT videos being blocked in my country!!!

• Like 1

daveb
14 hours ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

Wait, so can other people see that?

I don't think other people can, not even mods (not sure if admins can).

Back to Avalon

At the top of a PM exchange, where it says a person "left the conversation," does that mean they deleted the PM or just that they haven't read it in a while?

CBC
41 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

At the top of a PM exchange, where it says a person "left the conversation," does that mean they deleted the PM or just that they haven't read it in a while?

Deleted.

• Like 2

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
5 hours ago, Back to Avalon said:

I think it means they deleted the convo?? If they haven't read it in a while but haven't deleted it or actively left it (I think there's a button to leave?), it will just say "read on June 14, 2014" (yes, I have emails that were read that long ago. My inbox terrifies me too much to spend much time in there deleting stuff, lol). Hah but yeah, you can tell if they haven't read it in a while because it will say when they least read it :)

• Like 1

Back to Avalon

Yeah, after I thought about it, I realized that deleting was the only thing that made sense.

How do you actively leave the conversation without deleting it? Not planning to do it, just curious.

CBC
4 hours ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

think it means they deleted the convo?? If they haven't read it in a while but haven't deleted it or actively left it (I think there's a button to leave?), it will just say "read on June 14, 2014"

Haha yeah I have old PMs from wayyyy back. A lot I've deleted because they were super unimportant... I deleted all PMs relating to mod stuff from when I was a mod, and random one-off convos with complete strangers... but I've kept some from old friends. My oldest one says "Read: December 24, 2008" haha. There was a member I used to talk to a lot around 2010-ish and he did the deleting thing religiously, and it was annoying because sometimes I'd go to continue the convo even a couple days later and he'd "left" (deleted it) so I'd have to start a new one. Another friend more recently would start a new goddamn message thread for everything even if we last spoke a few days prior, but he also never deleted/left, so like... why?? Filled up my inbox totally unnecessarily.

• Like 1

CBC
37 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

How do you actively leave the conversation without deleting it? Not planning to do it, just curious.

Tbh I don't think you can. I just looked at one of mine from a few weeks ago and there's no option to leave, just delete.

• Like 1