.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

Timeless
2 hours ago, firewallflower said:

I've noticed lately that, while signed in anonymously, my username still appears in the "Members Online" listing on the front page. I'm not particularly bothered by it personally, but is this supposed to be the case?

Go onto your profile. If you see an eye near your profile picture, youre anonymous. Only you can see your name on the list. (Maybe mods too but I havent looked into it).

Janus DarkFox
2 hours ago, ratherdrinktea said:

Go onto your profile. If you see an eye near your profile picture, youre anonymous. Only you can see your name on the list. (Maybe mods too but I havent looked into it).

I’ve noticed for members that are anonymous, anybody that has followed members, they show as greyed out.  If follower features has been enabled by the user that is.  

ithaca

Could an Admin fix my PM inbox please? Happy to explain more over Skype (I can't PM...)

OptimisticPessimist

@ithaca Feel free to PM via Skype and will see about sorting it. My username is nearly the same as here, optimisticpessimist2 

• Like 1

ithaca
4 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

@ithaca Feel free to PM via Skype and will see about sorting it. My username is nearly the same as here, optimisticpessimist2 

I've just messaged you.

CBC

Where's the thread/post with the list of past admods? I saw it fairly recently.

TheAP
2 minutes ago, cbc said:

Where's the thread/post with the list of past admods? I saw it fairly recently.

This? 

• Like 4

CBC

@TheAP Yessss. Thank you. :) 

• Like 1

Strange-quark

What will the poster see if I remove a reaction? 

TheAP
3 minutes ago, Strange-quark said:

What will the poster see if I remove a reaction? 

I think they won't see anything unless they already saw the notification.

• Like 1

Tja

Recently, when I bring up the AVEN website, a bell sound starts "pinging", non-stop. I've checked the notification sounds on my laptop, but, none of them have a single bell tone.

Anyone have any clue what this might be? Thanks!

michaeld
3 minutes ago, Tja said:

Recently, when I bring up the AVEN website, a bell sound starts "pinging", non-stop. I've checked the notification sounds on my laptop, but, none of them have a single bell tone.

Anyone have any clue what this might be? Thanks!

I wonder if it's cuz you opened chat? If so try pressing the right arrow ("hide chat") at the bottom of the page.

We're getting a new chat system very soon anyway, so hopefully this won't be an issue for long, if that's what it is!

• Like 2

Tja
13 minutes ago, michaeld said:

I wonder if it's cuz you opened chat? If so try pressing the right arrow ("hide chat") at the bottom of the page.

We're getting a new chat system very soon anyway, so hopefully this won't be an issue for long, if that's what it is!

OMGiddyAunt! That was it! Thank you!!! *Driving me mental, it was* **must have hit it, unintentionally**

• Like 3

Skycaptain
4 hours ago, michaeld said:

We're getting a new chat system very soon anyway, 

Hooray :)

• Like 1

Back to Avalon

If someone deletes their account, will a PM still go through to their email? Is there a way to contact a member who leaves?

Homer
9 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

If someone deletes their account, will a PM still go through to their email? Is there a way to contact a member who leaves?

If their account is gone, you can't put their name into the box where the recipient goes. So you can't send the message to begin with, which means that no notification will be triggered.

• Like 2

Back to Avalon
8 hours ago, Homer said:

If their account is gone, you can't put their name into the box where the recipient goes. So you can't send the message to begin with, which means that no notification will be triggered.

This is someone I've exchanged PMs with, so I can continue a discussion without typing a name.

• Like 1

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
13 hours ago, Homer said:

But if we already have an open conversation (meaning we can still type a response) will they get an email notification even if their account is deleted? :o

• Like 2

Homer

I didn't even know that that was a thing :huh:

pook

when an account gets deleted then all information on the account goes too including email or any other way to contact them

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
11 minutes ago, pook said:

when an account gets deleted then all information on the account goes too including email or any other way to contact them

well I think we are both asking just because, well for me anyway, even though the account is deleted I am still being given the option to respond to them in our PMs. I mean, if I had enough energy I could test it by messaging them on here, then emailing them (as I have their address) to see if they got the message :P I think the reason Avalon may have been asking is just because the option to continue the discussion is there, which is confusing. One would think the discussion would automatically close when someone leaves, but instead the reply box is still open so that gives the impression they'll still get an email notification if you respond :o Also it doesn't say they've left the convo, which makes it doubly confusing :P 

• Like 1

Back to Avalon

Unlike Pan, I don't have the person's email address, so AVEN was my only way to contact him. We've PMed off and on for months and were just starting a good discussion, and when I logged on the next day, his account was gone. I sent a message, not knowing if there was any way he would see it, so I asked here if PMs still go through to personal email after an account is deleted.

If a person has their account deleted, can they rejoin? If so, do the accounts get merged or something?

8 hours ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

Also it doesn't say they've left the convo, which makes it doubly confusing :P 

Actually, on my end he's listed as "Deleted Member" at the top of the discussion.

9 hours ago, pook said:

So the admods have no record of the person's email address?

Skycaptain

@Back to Avalon, if a member requests account deletion, we have to remove any email addresses etc, because of data protection laws.

Homer
6 hours ago, Back to Avalon said:

If a person has their account deleted, can they rejoin?

Yes.

If so, do the accounts get merged or something?

No. The original account is gone. There's nothing left to merge the new account with.

So the admods have no record of the person's email address?

Correct. Admods don't get to see mail addresses anyway, that's admin territory. Still, no records.

• Like 1

Anthracite_Impreza

Is there any way to hide certain threads so you can't see them (as an individual user)?

iff
8 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Is there any way to hide certain threads so you can't see them (as an individual user)?

I don't think so 

I think there is a group though that would block users from seeing hot box threads

OptimisticPessimist
13 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Threads can be hidden but as far as i' m aware, there's not a way to hide certain threads for certain users. 

Anthracite_Impreza
5 minutes ago, iff said:

I don't think so 

I think there is a group though that would block users from seeing hot box threads

Just now, OptimisticPessimist said:

Threads can be hidden but as far as i' m aware, there's not a way to hide certain threads for certain users. 

It's not in HB, it's just a topic I could really do with avoiding rn, but it's pretty popular so I can't really avoid being reminded it exists.

Janus DarkFox
12 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

It's not in HB, it's just a topic I could really do with avoiding rn, but it's pretty popular so I can't really avoid being reminded it exists.

Other than putting the thread author on ignore may help hide Threads but also comments as well.  Toggle the ignored members posts comments or statuses on or off when necessary.  There’s other options on a users ignored in that list.

Anthracite_Impreza
2 hours ago, Janus DarkFox said:

Other than putting the thread author on ignore may help hide Threads but also comments as well.  Toggle the ignored members posts comments or statuses on or off when necessary.  There’s other options on a users ignored in that list.

Might have to do that for a while then, thanks.