.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
15 hours ago, Kimchi Peanut said:

Is there an estimated time frame on a chat update? Just because we’ve been told it’s being looked into for literal years.

Amen Y_Y

CBC

So I may have asked this before... forgive me if I have, I'm an 80-year-old in the body of a 30-something... but how come we used to be able to download and archive of all our PMs like a decade ago and now we can't? I don't mean that in a crabby accusatory way haha, just curiosity. It was really useful for the purposes of cleaning out our inboxes. I have to keep whittling mine away and getting rid of old messages to make room for new ones even though I'd really like to hang onto some of them. I know we get email notifications about PMs, containing the full content of the messages, but it's nice to have them all together in one spot.

• Like 2

Homer
11 minutes ago, CBC said:

Text

I haven't been around a decade ago, but there might be a workaround for this. Would saving the message to a PDF file work for you?

• Like 2

CBC
2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I haven't been around a decade ago, but there might be a workaround for this. Would saving the message to a PDF file work for you?

Ah good point. My technologically inept ass forgot that sort of thing could be an option.

• Like 1

Homer
5 minutes ago, CBC said:

Ah good point. My technologically inept ass forgot that sort of thing could be an option.

Maybe your arse is too busy being gay? :P

• Like 3

Snao Cone
Just now, Homer said:

priorities are priorities.

• Like 3

Homer
Just now, Snao van der Cone said:

priorities are priorities.

Great, now I have this mental image of an arse ticking off its to-do list for the day.

• Like 3

Back to Avalon

When I go to log in and click in the "User Name" box (or whatever it's called), it always has my username in a drop-down list, That's fine, except one day I must have not clicked in the "Password" box when I thought I did and accidentally typed my password after my username in the first box. So now the drop-down list is Back to Avalon and Back to Avalonpassword, and I'd really rather not have my password displayed. I know the simplest thing to do is change my password, but even so, I'd like to get the password out of the drop-down list. Is there a way to delete that item from the drop-down list? Is it stored in my computer's memory and will therefore not be transferred to a new computer, or is it part of the website's memory?

Also, what does "Remember me" do? I've been reluctant to try it. Does it keep your login from timing out?

Homer
11 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

Is it stored in my computer's memory and will therefore not be transferred to a new computer, or is it part of the website's memory?

That sounds like a browser issue. Not as in 'your browser derped' but as in 'you can fix that in your browser settings'. There has to be a password manager somewhere. Or maybe deleting cookies is enough.

• Like 2

iff
10 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

When I go to log in and click in the "User Name" box (or whatever it's called), it always has my username in a drop-down list, That's fine, except one day I must have not clicked in the "Password" box when I thought I did and accidentally typed my password after my username in the first box. So now the drop-down list is Back to Avalon and Back to Avalonpassword, and I'd really rather not have my password displayed. I know the simplest thing to do is change my password, but even so, I'd like to get the password out of the drop-down list. Is there a way to delete that item from the drop-down list? Is it stored in my computer's memory and will therefore not be transferred to a new computer, or is it part of the website's memory?

Yes, this is an auto fill on the browser rather than the website. 

For chrome, this is suggested

If you want to just delete specific autofill entries:
  • Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar and select Settings
  • Click “Show advanced settings” and find the “Passwords and forms” section
  • Select Manage Autofill settings.
  • In the dialog that appears, select the entry you’d like to delete from the list. Click the “x” that appears at the end of the row.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcworld.com/article/3145489/how-to-clear-unwanted-autofill-entries-in-google-chrome.amp.html

10 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

Also, what does "Remember me" do? I've been reluctant to try it. Does it keep your login from timing out?

The remember me should keep you logged in

• Like 4

Back to Avalon

It worked! I didn't see the options that @iff outlined, but clicked the link and followed the steps there. Thanks!

• Like 3

KYON.

I know this is probably a technical thing rather than admods, but is there any way to ignore status updates?

I've got some people on ignore (so I don't have to feel the pain of reading their posts), but I still have the misfortune of seeing their status updates. There doesn't seem to be an obvious box to tick or button to press to block them from existence, but maybe I'm missing something.

• Like 1

Homer

You can pick the kind of content you ignore for every person you put on ignore. Or do you mean status updates altogether?

CBC
5 hours ago, Homer said:

Probably. Gay, depressed, the usual. :lol: 

• Like 1

KYON.
36 minutes ago, Homer said:

You can pick the kind of content you ignore for every person you put on ignore. Or do you mean status updates altogether?

Nope, just for specific people. The only options it gives me in the "Ignored Users" menu are posts, messages, signature and mentions. I have all those boxes ticked, but the status updates still get through.

Skullery Maid

This is a dumb legal thing, but for the purposes of litigation, there actually should be a downloadable content option. Including posts and everything. 

• Like 3

CBC

I feel like there used to be an icon on every thread that you could click on to do something like that, a looooong time ago, but I could be imagining things.

• Like 1

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
4 hours ago, KYON. said:

Nope, just for specific people. The only options it gives me in the "Ignored Users" menu are posts, messages, signature and mentions. I have all those boxes ticked, but the status updates still get through.

I had that same problem once. I had someone on ignore but I could see their status updates, and they started talking *about* me in said updates!!! Y_Y I think they ended up with a perma-ban though so I didn't have to worry about it after that, but I also never worked out how to fix it!!!

CBC
1 minute ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

...and they started talking *about* me in said updates!!!

Ffs. Well that's awkward. 😐😂

• Like 2

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)
1 hour ago, CBC said:

Ffs. Well that's awkward. 😐😂

Hah yeah I can't even remember what it was about but it was really awkward. I'd said something like "this is the last comment of yours I'm dealing with, I'm putting you on ignore" (which is pretty huge because I *never* put anyone on ignore, lol) and they thought that meant I couldn't see their status updates so proceeded to bitch about "that psychotic AVEN member who will not be named" (by which they meant me). We ended up having a massive status-update argument which I got a nudge over, and I didn't see them around again after that. Very messy, haha.

Edit; They had me on ignore too so it was ridiculous that we could see each other's statuses on the main page :P

Skycaptain
7 hours ago, CBC said:

I feel like there used to be an icon on every thread that you could click on to do something like that, a looooong time ago, but I could be imagining things.

If you click the share icon on a post, the one below "like", and next to report that should allow you to share a post elsewhere 

Goonie
On 11/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, Kimchi Peanut said:

Is there an estimated time frame on a chat update? Just because we’ve been told it’s being looked into for literal years.

I'm not sure they can give an estimate yet until they get it installed and see how all it interacts with what is already there and see what all needs to be set up.

What I do know is it's been purchased. 

• Like 3

Back to Avalon
23 hours ago, Back to Avalon said:

It worked! I didn't see the options that @iff outlined, but clicked the link and followed the steps there. Thanks!

Update: I neglected to uncheck all of the to-be-cleared items that were checked by default, which I realized too late, and so I ended up losing a week's worth of browser history. So pro tip, if you ever have to clear your auto fill-ins, uncheck everything else before you begin the process, unless you want to clear your history. I don't look at mine often, but I like having it there in case there's something I want to return to.

• Like 1

Kimmie.

I have thought about this for a while but have AVEN any plans for how to deal with EU article 13 and 11?

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/what-is-article-13-article-11-european-directive-on-copyright-explained-meme-ban

Many big companies like YouTube are debating if they have to stop people from EU countries to be able to upload. 

I am afraid that AVEN has to block people from EU to visit the site all together because just in case someone post or link to something that is copyrighted. 

Skycaptain

@Kimmie., This is why you can't post a meme, music etc directly onto AVEN, but link to a third party like YouTube, meme generator etc. They are liable for any copyright issues. Likewise if you upload a clip from one of these sites it is recorded as a "hit", and the host pays any royalties due.

YouTube, for example is funded by advertising revenue, and remove unauthorised material. They are liable. 

At a forum level, the worst that will happen is that instead of seeing an image, you'll get a flag saying "due to copyright law you do not have permission to view this", or similar. 

• Like 1

Kimmie.
1 hour ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

@Kimmie., This is why you can't post a meme, music etc directly onto AVEN, but link to a third party like YouTube, meme generator etc. They are liable for any copyright issues. Likewise if you upload a clip from one of these sites it is recorded as a "hit", and the host pays any royalties due.

YouTube, for example is funded by advertising revenue, and remove unauthorised material. They are liable. 

At a forum level, the worst that will happen is that instead of seeing an image, you'll get a flag saying "due to copyright law you do not have permission to view this", or similar. 

Okay but we also have the link tax that would make world watch basically impossible to keep doing.  You basically have to pay the news site you are linking to. 

https://juliareda.eu/eu-copyright-reform/extra-copyright-for-news-sites/

But it would maybe work without the quotes.

Janus DarkFox
8 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

I have thought about this for a while but have AVEN any plans for how to deal with EU article 13 and 11?

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/what-is-article-13-article-11-european-directive-on-copyright-explained-meme-ban

Many big companies like YouTube are debating if they have to stop people from EU countries to be able to upload. 

I am afraid that AVEN has to block people from EU to visit the site all together because just in case someone post or link to something that is copyrighted. 

This has been discussed on the boards and subject to a ToS Copyright material change back in September, this is not public for reasons.  This is similar to the change the GDPR took to the TOS as well.

• Like 2

Kimmie.
Just now, Janus DarkFox said:

This has been discussed on the boards and subject to a ToS Copyright material change back in September, this is not public for reasons.  This is similar to the change the GDPR took to the TOS as well.

It is great to know that you are discussing it.🙂

OptimisticPessimist

@Kimmie. We are aware of it and is being discussed. The law hasn’t went into effect yet. AVEN won’t block people, we want everyone to be able to access the site. 

• Like 2

firewallflower

I've noticed lately that, while signed in anonymously, my username still appears in the "Members Online" listing on the front page. I'm not particularly bothered by it personally, but is this supposed to be the case?