.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

maybeimamazed

Thank you, guys.

The name I wanted was taken, but I got my second choice.

• Like 2

FaerieFate
2 hours ago, maybeimamazed said:

Hi!

Is there any way we can change our username? I'd like to change mine to "thequietone"

You only get like 3 username changes a year or something like that.

Snao Cone
25 minutes ago, FaerieFate said:

You only get like 3 username changes a year or something like that.

6 times a year. It shows you how many you've made in the past 365 days when you're changing it.

• Like 3

daveb

So if I've been here 10 years without changing my user name I now have 60 changes available to me? (just kidding - I have no intention of changing my user name) :) 

• Like 2

FaerieFate
Just now, daveb said:

So if I've been here 10 years without changing my user name I now have 60 changes available to me? (just kidding - I have no intention of changing my user name) :) 

No, changes don't roll over :P So every year it's 6 and only 6. :)

• Like 1

Janus DarkFox
On 10/13/2019 at 8:43 AM, Kimmie. said:

EDIT: I have a screen shot now, it seems to be when avatars are not working and the name is long.

Hide contents

Screenshot-20191013-191352.png

To me that looks like an unusual android screen resolution, possibly not scaling all too well,  the web magicians need a keen look somewhere :)

• Like 1

Kimmie.
11 hours ago, Janus DarkFox said:

To me that looks like an unusual android screen resolution, possibly not scaling all too well,  the web magicians need a keen look somewhere :)

As i said it seems to happen when a photo is not scaled-down correctly for what ever reason and when as in the screen grab a avatar is not working so the name goes past the edge. 

Chihiro

On the forums, when I accidentally hit report, I get a pop up message. Then I realize my mistake and just cancel it. Why is this feature not available on chat? I accidentally hit report and I couldn't cancel it *facepalm*

Puck
1 minute ago, Chihiro said:

On the forums, when I accidentally hit report, I get a pop up message. Then I realize my mistake and just cancel it. Why is this feature not available on chat? I accidentally hit report and I couldn't cancel it *facepalm*

Tagging @Qutenkreepy who is our chat admin and knows better than I do.

But I would guess it's because the forum itself and chat are different softwares from different companies, so the features they offer vary. I would guess, because it's innate to the software, it's not a thing that our webmasters can change? But I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Una Salus Victus

As Puck said, it's a software thing. I have a gut feeling that the report thing can't be changed either

• Like 1

Qutenkuddly

The current forum software is supported by Invision. When that service stopped supporting an in-house chat service, we were left to find a third party chat service that was compatible with the Invision software. Unfortunately, our choices were... limited; thus, we are currently using Arrow chat, which doesn't completely integrate as well as we would like. Frequent accidental reports is one of the issues 

• Like 2

Whore*of*Mensa

Is there any way to control what order the forums appear on the site, if (for example) there were ones you didn't want to see as you scrolled past them, could you move the ones you do want to see up to the top?!!

OptimisticPessimist

@Whore*of*Mensa Forums are in order and can't be rearranged. They can however be hidden by clicking the arrow (on the purple bar of each forums)

• Like 1

Whore*of*Mensa

REALLY NOT URGENT I just can't work out how  do you post a status update?

TheAP
10 minutes ago, Whore*of*Mensa said:

REALLY NOT URGENT I just can't work out how  do you post a status update?

Go to your profile and click Edit Profile in the top right. Then click "Enable Status Updates" to on (green check) and click save at the bottom. You should then be able to make status updates from your profile, the front page, or the Create button on top.

• Like 4

Whore*of*Mensa

Thank you :)

• Like 3

ithaca

Hi! I was wondering, has there already been a review/discussion of how the new chat is working? E.g. average usage (seems declined by double digits on average?), functionality, how much it's liked, and whether there would be other options to try?

• Like 1

OptimisticPessimist

@ithaca We are looking at other options for chat, and a review/talk about it, has happened/is happening @Qutenkreepy might be able give more input as chat mod, but many members have been vocal, they don’t like it. 

pook

#bringbackmibbitchat

Edited by pook

michaeld

Yeah when it come to chat, please watch this space....

• Like 2

Serran
20 hours ago, ithaca said:

Hi! I was wondering, has there already been a review/discussion of how the new chat is working? E.g. average usage (seems declined by double digits on average?), functionality, how much it's liked, and whether there would be other options to try?

The biggest issue with chat seems to be placement and UI. With it being that tiny bar on bottom a lot of people forget about it. And once you open it, it is easy to forget since it is a background window... and noises are too annoying to keep on. Plus, no mobile compatibility. It is more like a facebook messenger window, which, I never found easy to have a large group chat in personally. 

Would be nice if there were alternatives. 

FaerieFate
1 minute ago, Serran said:

The biggest issue with chat seems to be placement and UI. With it being that tiny bar on bottom a lot of people forget about it. And once you open it, it is easy to forget since it is a background window... and noises are too annoying to keep on. Plus, no mobile compatibility. It is more like a facebook messenger window, which, I never found easy to have a large group chat in personally. 

Would be nice if there were alternatives. 

There's a few issues on admods end, mainly difficulty in reporting. I was on chat the other day and couldn't figure out how to report something. I'd like something more intuitive and more integrateable. There's a few other issues on our end that I don't think I can discuss for breaching reasons, but yeah, it's not perfect and if it was integrated better I still don't think I'd be happy with it as a mod.

Serran
2 minutes ago, FaerieFate said:

There's a few issues on admods end, mainly difficulty in reporting. I was on chat the other day and couldn't figure out how to report something. I'd like something more intuitive and more integrateable. There's a few other issues on our end that I don't think I can discuss for breaching reasons, but yeah, it's not perfect and if it was integrated better I still don't think I'd be happy with it as a mod.

I know the admods end. If you remember, I was an admod when it was introduced and helped test the system for the admins. But, that could be overcome if the users liked it. They don't. Chat is dead compared to what it used to be. A lot of people moved to discord for that reason.

As for report, it should be a right click option still on the user list. It tags a small snippet of the log though so you have to be quick to report if a user does something. (Not used chat in nearly a year though since it is so bleh now)

• Like 1

OptimisticPessimist

As @michaeld says, watch this space...

• Like 3

ithaca
2 hours ago, Serran said:

I know the admods end. If you remember, I was an admod when it was introduced and helped test the system for the admins. But, that could be overcome if the users liked it. They don't. Chat is dead compared to what it used to be. A lot of people moved to discord for that reason.

As for report, it should be a right click option still on the user list. It tags a small snippet of the log though so you have to be quick to report if a user does something. (Not used chat in nearly a year though since it is so bleh now)

Oh wow that's already different from what it used to be with the old software. 

If I remember right, when chat was alive erm.. on the other software, you either had to open the member's profile and report them if they were a troll/spammer, or make a note of the exact time something against the TOS was said (and in which timezone), and from who. Then you'd have to find a mod or admin to tell, and then the chat admin had to dig through DA CHAT LOGS (a monster of everything ever said that day, which was thousands of messages).

Puck
51 minutes ago, ithaca said:

If I remember right, when chat was alive erm.. on the other software, you either had to open the member's profile and report them if they were a troll/spammer, or make a note of the exact time something against the TOS was said (and in which timezone), and from who. Then you'd have to find a mod or admin to tell, and then the chat admin had to dig through DA CHAT LOGS (a monster of everything ever said that day, which was thousands of messages).

Yup. A.... ye olde days of chat logs. Good memories.

Probably less good for Qute and Heart who had to do the diggings :P

• Like 1

Skycaptain

We are very aware of the problems with the current chat. We are looking at a new supplier, but testing takes a while 

• Like 1

Kimchi Peanut

Is there an estimated time frame on a chat update? Just because we’ve been told it’s being looked into for literal years.

OptimisticPessimist

@Kimchi Peanut We are as in the dark as everyone else, we really don't have a timeframe, or any new information. When we do, we'll update. I'll poke @Coleslaw too. 

Serran
23 hours ago, ithaca said:

Yeah. I think the report button saved a snippet like 30ish lines long when we tested it? So... you have to be really fast hitting report... there are no other logs available. There was an announcement to users when it launched to try to help moderation.

And you can't hit the ban button as an admod or only Cole can undo it, so it's a more complicated "kick for X seconds" and hopefully no mods oopsie and hit ban. :lol: