.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

KYON.
10 minutes ago, Snao van der Cone said:

I think it's pretty obvious the answer is yes. :P

Thank you for confirming!

(BRB, just off to do an astral projection)

• Like 2

CBC

The eye thing switches you from browsing privately/anonymously/whatever to publicly (or vice versa). Before, you couldn't do that without logging out and then in again. I wondered that myself a week or two ago when I went to my own profile to try to figure out how to change some sort of setting so I could show my technologically inept girlfriend (😘) Skullery how to do it on hers, and I saw the eye thingamajig and absolutely would not rest until I'd figured out what it did. I found out by logging in on my laptop and hovering over it, and a description of its function popped up.

#andnowyouknow

• Like 9

OptimisticPessimist

@FaerieFate I’ve looked and there’s no issues I can see with permissions. 

Snao Cone
19 minutes ago, CBC said:

The eye thing switches you from browsing privately/anonymously/whatever to publicly (or vice versa). Before, you couldn't do that without logging out and then in again. I wondered that myself a week or two ago when I went to my own profile to try to figure out how to change some sort of setting so I could show my technologically inept girlfriend (😘) Skullery how to do it on hers, and I saw the eye thingamajig and absolutely would not rest until I'd figured out what it did. I found out by logging in on my laptop and hovering over it, and a description of its function popped up.

#andnowyouknow

I prefer a less logical answer. 

• Like 6

FaerieFate
11 minutes ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

@FaerieFate I’ve looked and there’s no issues I can see with permissions. 

CBC explained it. Thank you @CBC. I don't look at my profile on my laptop so I didn't notice XD.

• Like 2

CBC
4 minutes ago, Snao van der Cone said:

I prefer a less logical answer. 

Oh shit I'm sorry.

Umm.

It's the new self-hypnosis feature. Stare at it long enough and see what happens. :ph34r:

lvKTBC.gif

• Like 6

KYON.

Thanks, @CBC (and the technically inept @skullery)!

You solved a mystery and also hypnotised me too. Much appreciated!

• Like 7

CBC

Hahaha. I would just like to add that she's one of the smartest people I know otherwise! 😂

And congrats on the hypnosis, @Kyon.! :P 

• Like 4

Phoenix the II
2 hours ago, CBC said:

Oh shit I'm sorry.

Umm.

It's the new self-hypnosis feature. Stare at it long enough and see what happens. :ph34r:

lvKTBC.gif

I've been cured! Yayyyyyy

Oh wait, no it didn't. Boooooo

• Like 1

Goonie
4 hours ago, Kyon. said:

Is it the Eye of Agamotto or something?

It's the hidden symbol. If you hover over it, there's some text that shows up "You are currently anonymous. You will not show in online list and your last visited time will not be shown to other members". 

There was a security upgrade to the forum software earlier in the month. It looks like it might have been a new feature put in place with that upgrade.

• Like 3

squishward

Just wondering if anybody has ever had issues with weird autocorrect when making posts on the forum with a mobile? My phone has often been correcting even basic words (that I haven’t misspelled or misused) like “the” and “got” to “Thebes” and “Gorbachev”. I don’t notice this when using any other sites or via text messaging. It would probably annoy me more if it didn’t frankly crack me up so much 😂

• Like 1

FaerieFate
11 minutes ago, squishward said:

Just wondering if anybody has ever had issues with weird autocorrect when making posts on the forum with a mobile? My phone has often been correcting even basic words (that I haven’t misspelled or misused) like “the” and “got” to “Thebes” and “Gorbachev”. I don’t notice this when using any other sites or via text messaging. It would probably annoy me more if it didn’t frankly crack me up so much 😂

Autocorrect is usually specific to your phone, and not a product of this website. However, I will agree some of the autocorrects I get is very hilarious. :)

• Like 1

squishward
6 minutes ago, FaerieFate said:

Autocorrect is usually specific to your phone, and not a product of this website. However, I will agree some of the autocorrects I get is very hilarious. :)

Thanks. That’s what I assume, I just found it weird that it only acts this wacky on this website and not anywhere else. I guess we are a wacky bunch here though :D. My phone is getting old and does weird things occasionally, so maybe this just one of those things... 

CBC

Do banned members receive email notifications about PMs even if they can't read them?

Back to Avalon

Is there a waiting period for claiming user names? Like if someone changes their name, can someone else swoop in and take the old name, or are they blocked from doing that for a certain span of time? Or does the person who had the name first have some exclusive right to it?

TheAP
2 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

Is there a waiting period for claiming user names? Like if someone changes their name, can someone else swoop in and take the old name, or are they blocked from doing that for a certain span of time? Or does the person who had the name first have some exclusive right to it?

I'm pretty sure as soon as someone changes their name, someone else can take it.

• Like 1

OptimisticPessimist

@CBC They shouldn't be able. @Goonie will know more. 

@Back to Avalon As @TheAPparition says, if you change your username, someone else can then take it.

• Like 1

Goonie
10 hours ago, CBC said:

Do banned members receive email notifications about PMs even if they can't read them?

Alas, if a member is banned, they do not receive email notifications of PMs even if their messenger is enabled and they have checked to receive email notifications. This is for both old convos that were started prior to a ban and new convos started after a ban.

• Like 1

CBC
7 minutes ago, Goonie said:

Alas, if a member is banned, they do not receive email notifications of PMs even if their messenger is enabled and they have checked to receive email notifications. This is for both old convos that were started prior to a ban and new convos started after a ban.

Ok, assumed not. Not of actual importance. I was just going through my messenger earlier and have a bunch of PMs from a banned member, and purely from a curiosity standpoint I wondered what would happen if someone messaged a banished AVENite.

• Like 1

CBC

What does it mean when I look at the online users list or the profile of someone currently active but it doesn't say what they're doing, just shows that they're online? (Side note: that's one of the reasons I'm usually on private; I don't want people knowing exactly what threads I'm looking at. I also don't care what threads others are viewing... I can't imagine why anyone would, tbh... but obviously I've noticed that that's a feature of the software.)

I used to assume that's what it showed when someone on the staff was doing something that regular members can't see, like viewing backroom threads, but I've realised that regular members are sometimes shown that way as well.

(Sorry lol, another "for curiosity's sake" query. Obviously it's of no real importance to me, just a geeky inquiry about software.)

iff
1 hour ago, CBC said:

What does it mean when I look at the online users list or the profile of someone currently active but it doesn't say what they're doing, just shows that they're online? (Side note: that's one of the reasons I'm usually on private; I don't want people knowing exactly what threads I'm looking at. I also don't care what threads others are viewing... I can't imagine why anyone would, tbh... but obviously I've noticed that that's a feature of the software.)

I used to assume that's what it showed when someone on the staff was doing something that regular members can't see, like viewing backroom threads, but I've realised that regular members are sometimes shown that way as well.

(Sorry lol, another "for curiosity's sake" query. Obviously it's of no real importance to me, just a geeky inquiry about software.)

Testing this on a book forum that I post on too, I think I have an answer

From my test, I logged out in a separate browser with my profile open elsewhere so my profile showed I was viewing my profile.

When I refreshed my profile page after logging out, it showed that I was still online but nothing current so my conclusion is:

It is a member active in the last 30 minutes but subsequently logged out

• Like 1

Kimmie.

I have a problem with the mobile version of AVEN that on certain pages the interface dosen't add up with the page and when I am trying to click a button it only zooms in instead. I can see the reason for it to happen on a couple of pages like that photos are bigger than the page and so on. But it is also happening on the front page for some reason sometimes. 

EDIT: I have a screen shot now, it seems to be when avatars are not working and the name is long.

Spoiler

Screenshot-20191013-191352.png

Back to Avalon

I'm a little confused about warnings and bans. Let's say a person gets a first warning and doesn't break the rules while the warning is active. If they break the rules after the warning ends, do they get a second warning because they've been warned before, or do they start over at first because the first is no longer active? (I'm not under warning or anything. I'm just a nerd who was reading part of the ToS again and had a question.)

TheAP
4 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

I'm a little confused about warnings and bans. Let's say a person gets a first warning and doesn't break the rules while the warning is active. If they break the rules after the warning ends, do they get a second warning because they've been warned before, or do they start over at first because the first is no longer active? (I'm not under warning or anything. I'm just a nerd who was reading part of the ToS again and had a question.)

They start over at first, because the first warning expired.

• Like 1

Kisa needs a latte

I'll make a fake person to explain this one.  We'll them AVENmonster (to my knowledge that user does not exist)

AVENmonster gets one nudge.  It does not appear on their profile but it gets logged in the back.

AVENmonster gets a warning.  Warning is logged on the profile under warning points.  This lasts for 3 months.  Before AVENmonster can appeal or do anything, they have to check the little box saying that they acknowledge that they were warned (basically a "yes I saw this").

AVENmonster is a good monster during those 3 months and the warning should expire.  If it does not expire then AVENmonster should talk to an admin.

AVENmonster gets in trouble again about a week later.  AVENmonster gets a warning.  Same rules as the first time.

AVENmonster then gets a second warning a month later.  They're on warning #2.  This is a 6 month warning.  Even when the 3 month warning expires the 6 month warning will be active.  If AVENmonster gets a warning after the 3 month warning expires but before 6 months expire, they get a second second warning with the same rules.

So the short version of all of this is...just don't get three warning points.

• Like 3

LeChat
14 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

I have a problem with the mobile version of AVEN that on certain pages the interface dosen't add up with the page and when I am trying to click a button it only zooms in instead. I can see the reason for it to happen on a couple of pages like that photos are bigger than the page and so on. But it is also happening on the front page for some reason sometimes. 

EDIT: I have a screen shot now, it seems to be when avatars are not working and the name is long.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot-20191013-191352.png

Oh! Now, I understand what you mean (the screencap was helpful).

Yeah; there have been a couple of times, where, because a new screenname was long, the main forum page looked like that, for me, too (not on a mobile). But, it hasn't happened for me, for a while.

So, you're still having the problem? Have you tried using a different browser, to see whether that might, possibly, help at all? If the problem still is there, after trying that, then, yeah, it sounds as though it might be an AVEN issue.

• Like 1

daveb
15 hours ago, Kimmie. said:

I have a screen shot now, it seems to be when avatars are not working and the name is long.

I see something like that on my pc when the avatar is broken, like when I'm viewing "unread" posts list. Of course the format looks different, but it's the same idea, broken avatar with user name stretched out making stuff go out of alignment with other threads in the list.

• Like 1

maybeimamazed

Hi!

Is there any way we can change our username? I'd like to change mine to "thequietone"

TheAP
4 minutes ago, brehasolo said:

Hi!

Is there any way we can change our username? I'd like to change mine to "thequietone"

Yeah, you have to click on your username in the top right corner, go to Account Settings, and then to Display Name.

• Like 2

Una Salus Victus
5 minutes ago, brehasolo said:

Hi!

There is. First, you'll see your name at the top left of the screen. Click, and then go to account settings.
Screencap here:

VVHKxL5.png

Then, on the left, click on Account Name, and it will bring up a box you can change your name in.

Screencap here:

yC5hl96.png

• Like 2