.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

iff
4 minutes ago, Grey-Ace Ventura said:

Is there a reason my content count is stuck at 162?

Some forums don't count towards post count for example aven arcade definitely doesn't

• Like 1

Grey-Ace Ventura
7 minutes ago, iff said:

Some forums don't count towards post count for example aven arcade definitely doesn't

Ahh ok, thank you

Windspiel

There is a Member ID for my account, isn't it? How can I find my ID? I think I don't see it in the settings of my profile.

Homer
12 minutes ago, Toa Lhikan said:

There is a Member ID for my account, isn't it? How can I find my ID? I think I don't see it in the settings of my profile.

Click on your profile. Check the URL. There's a number in it: https://www.asexuality.org/en/profile/***** and the asterisks are what your "ID" is. Mine would be 101948.

• Like 2

Windspiel
2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Click on your profile. Check the URL. There's a number in it: https://www.asexuality.org/en/profile/***** and the asterisks are what your "ID" is. Mine would be 101948.

Thank you for your answer.

• Like 2

TheAP

Shouldn't this topic remain in the Chatterbox? Also, I think the original topic and the one it was merged with are two different topics. The original is about what made you happy today. The new thread is about what makes you happy in general.

• Like 2

OptimisticPessimist

@TheAP Thanks for the heads up, will see what is happening.

• Like 2

crazy ace

How do I delete a post or reply?

CBC
14 minutes ago, crazy ace said:

How do I delete a post or reply?

You can't, unfortunately. You can edit the content and just leave a period or an 'x' or whatever else you want in its place, but you can't delete.

• Like 1

OptimisticPessimist

@crazy ace As CBC, can’t delete (it’s to do with the forum software) but can edit and can ask an admin or mod to remove it for you.

• Like 1

firewallflower

If a thread (that is otherwise not problematic) appears to be posted in an unbefitting subforum, is it appropriate to submit a report to that effect, or would PMing the mod of the forum it's posted in (or simply leaving it alone, not sticking my head in where it's unneeded, and waiting for someone else to notice :P) be preferable?

Una Salus Victus

Shooting a PM doesn't hurt, but at the same time, we're all in different time zones. It's middle of the afternoon here, where as it's the middle of the night or early morning for others, so sometimes it may just be a matter of time.

• Like 2

Homer

Definitely prefer PMs to reports in such a case :)

• Like 2

daveb

Yeah, I would be fine being PMed about something like that.

• Like 1

SkyenAutowegCaptain

A PM is preferable, but there's nothing wrong with reporting it. Sometimes a staff member can get inundated with messages and miss one, whereas we all see reports. 

• Like 2

Sir_The_Last

I noticed that the ToS has been updated ... But I have a question as to what was not changed... The use of VPNs...  Remind unchanged.   What is a state is tracking everything you do and thus  a vpn  helps a little.   How do we know a state is not tracking us?   Usage of a vpn can be a safety net some what...   Just my point of view. 

InquisitivePhilosopher
14 hours ago, firewallflower said:

If a thread (that is otherwise not problematic) appears to be posted in an unbefitting subforum, is it appropriate to submit a report to that effect, or would PMing the mod of the forum it's posted in (or simply leaving it alone, not sticking my head in where it's unneeded, and waiting for someone else to notice :P) be preferable?

:) Some new mods--who've made a thread introducing themselves in whichever forum they'll be moderating--have mentioned they're okay with PMs. I've also tagged a couple of mods in the past about possibly moving a thread to a different forum in the threads, and they've been okay with that, too.

Personally, I only use the report button for more serious things, like rule-breaking TOS stuff, such as spam or if a member's being harassed, repeatedly.

• Like 3

FaerieFate
On 8/18/2019 at 3:59 PM, Sir_The_Last said:

This error is still coming up :( 
New-Bitmap-Image.png
image uploader 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Gonna poke @Coleslaw with this so they can look into it.

• Like 1

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)

Hi, there's a member whose content I've been enjoying, and I was going to PM them today for the first time to say hello. They had quite a few long and well thought-out posts and as of yesterday, didn't seem to be having an AVEN-breakdown or anything where someone starts losing the plot and threatening to leave etc (most of us have been there at least at some point I think, lol). ANYWAY I log in today to check her responses to me in a thread I was following, and her account has reverted completely to guest (with no ability to click on it or anything) which I didn't even know was possible :o I didn't know that happened even if you request account deletion, or is it a new thing with the forums? I've personally never come across an un-clickable guest account with no post-count displayed or anything, especially when someone has made so many relevant, long, and interesting posts using that account!! I even know of one who was completely banned for spamming sex stuff all over the forums, it was literally just a sex-bot thing, yet that account is still clickable, still shows their name, still has a pic of a woman in a bikini, and still shows up on everyones followers despite being perma-banned for being a spam-bot. What is happening with this unclickable guest account thing? :o 

TheAP

@Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) I'm not sure of the situation with that member, but yes, that happens when someone requests account deletion. Accounts aren't deleted unless the person asks for it.

Kisa needs a coffee
5 hours ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

Hi, there's a member whose content I've been enjoying, and I was going to PM them today for the first time to say hello. They had quite a few long and well thought-out posts and as of yesterday, didn't seem to be having an AVEN-breakdown or anything where someone starts losing the plot and threatening to leave etc (most of us have been there at least at some point I think, lol). ANYWAY I log in today to check her responses to me in a thread I was following, and her account has reverted completely to guest (with no ability to click on it or anything) which I didn't even know was possible :o I didn't know that happened even if you request account deletion, or is it a new thing with the forums? I've personally never come across an un-clickable guest account with no post-count displayed or anything, especially when someone has made so many relevant, long, and interesting posts using that account!! I even know of one who was completely banned for spamming sex stuff all over the forums, it was literally just a sex-bot thing, yet that account is still clickable, still shows their name, still has a pic of a woman in a bikini, and still shows up on everyones followers despite being perma-banned for being a spam-bot. What is happening with this unclickable guest account thing? :o 

Usually that happens when a member requests to leave.  Delete account and there's nothing left.

iff

Under GDPR data protection law, if someone requests account deletion, it has to be deleted.

Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?)

Oooh okay, so it only happens with actual deletion and not perma bans? That makes sense then. I guess things have changed a bit now because I remember back when I wanted my account deleted I wasn't allowed to as I'd made more than 10 posts or something , but that was like 4 years ago now!! Thanks for clearing that up :)

Homer

You can still have your account deleted if you have more than 25 posts, it's just that if you wanted your posts to vanish in the process as well, you'd have to delete them yourself :)

iff
30 minutes ago, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

Oooh okay, so it only happens with actual deletion and not perma bans? That makes sense then. I guess things have changed a bit now because I remember back when I wanted my account deleted I wasn't allowed to as I'd made more than 10 posts or something , but that was like 4 years ago now!! Thanks for clearing that up :)

Yes, this law came into affect in May 2018. It was from an EU directive for their members.

As an aside, Since them, It has seen some bizarre application of it in Ireland. The office of public works ordered all visitor books to be removed from heritage sites because they personal data on it.

The decision was reversed.

There was also a case where the official gardai (our law enforcement force) twitter account telling people  not to share videos online of dangerous driving as it is a breach of data protection (only for the data protection commissioner to come out on radio to say it wasn't and that also Gardai had no role in deciding it was or wasn't)

• Like 2

Sir_The_Last

"We would recommend that all members seeking medical advice also visit  a suitable medical professional (such as their doctor or a pharmacist)before attempting any treatment or medications recommended online."

Would this not be give medical advice?  If you include "doctor's or a pharmacist " why not include other forms of practicing medicine... As I see it you promote so called established medicine... Why not include others methods? 

SkyenAutowegCaptain

That's just a standard disclaimer to cover ourselves. 

We don't want someone diagnosing themselves with a condition because of something they read here, self-treating it, then calling in lawyers when it all goes wrong. 

Sir_The_Last
8 minutes ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

That's just a standard disclaimer to cover ourselves. 

We don't want someone diagnosing themselves with a condition because of something they read here, self-treating it, then calling in lawyers when it all goes wrong. 

I understand. So how would admods take a thread on" why some doctors are in it for the money"?  Or talking about self help books which give advice which not always agrees with medicine... ? Or psyche over doctors... And so on 

SkyenAutowegCaptain
2 minutes ago, Sir_The_Last said:

I understand. So how would admods take a thread on" why doctors are in it for the money"?  Or talking about self help books which give advice which not always agrees with medicine... ? 

Discussions are fine. The former has nothing to do with taking treatment outside of supervision, and the latter any liability would be with the author