.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

hgwells

Hiya Admods, I know that AVEN isn't a dating forum but is it possible to have a thread for people that have a profile on a dating website. One where we could put a link to our profiles?

.Lia

Hiya Admods, I know that AVEN isn't a dating forum but is it possible to have a thread for people that have a profile on a dating website. One where we could put a link to our profiles?

This would defeat the purpose of AVEN not being a dating website. Try the Meetup Mart forum to find meetups in your area if you're looking to meet other asexuals :)

Robin L

Teeeechnically you can put that on your profile? I don't think it's against the rules but it'll be better if an actual admod confirmed.

This would defeat the purpose of AVEN not being a dating website. Try the Meetup Mart forum to find meetups in your area if you're looking to meet other asexuals :)

What if it's just a thread linking to the profiles? Would that make AVEN a dating site, or just a site that links to a dating site?

Sarmandia

When I try to open the forum on my pc it says "This webpage is not available" and under that, "err_connection_reset"

If you can help me, I'll appreciate it.

.Lia

Do you run an antivirus on your computer? If so, which one? Are you able to access other webpages on your computer?

Sarmandia

Do you run an antivirus on your computer? If so, which one? Are you able to access other webpages on your computer?

I use Avast. Yes, I am.

.Lia

OK so AVAST likes to flag us as malicious sometimes. In the bottom right tray of your computer (by your clock) right click on the AVAST icon and then hover over "Disable Shields" then click "Disable Shields for 10 minutes" or similar. Confirm and refresh AVEN. This should clear it out.

• Like 1

Atmetller

Hi Admods,

I was thinking if one day would be possible to have an app for the AVEN website and forum? (I think it would be quite cool)

SkyWorld

Hi Admods,

I was thinking if one day would be possible to have an app for the AVEN website and forum? (I think it would be quite cool)

Hi! The idea of having an app has come up a few times. The problem is that as Mycroft has said:

There's been discussion of an app for AVEN before here, here, and here. The general consensus is that there isn't enough money or manpower to spend on developing it.

• Like 1

Robin L

Under which section of the TOS does advertising/selling fall? There is the section h. Donation requests but I don't think it necessarily applies.

Sally

Teeeechnically you can put that on your profile? I don't think it's against the rules but it'll be better if an actual admod confirmed.

What if it's just a thread linking to the profiles? Would that make AVEN a dating site, or just a site that links to a dating site?

What's the point in having your dating profile on AVEN when AVEN is not a dating site? We're not here looking for dates.

ThaHoward

Some actually are... And if some are using dating sites, they can meetup with other asexuals, they find interesting, on these dating sites. It is already allowed to advertise for other profiles for different websites on aven, don't see why you can't say "this is me on [dating site]". That doesn't make aven a dating site.

Member4445

I'm going on an Aven date with 4 Aven men on Saturday.

Can I have a ^5 xD

• Like 1

Skycaptain

^^giggles

.Lia

Under which section of the TOS does advertising/selling fall? There is the section h. Donation requests but I don't think it necessarily applies.

It all falls under "Donation Requests" if it's asking for money. But Pook just put up a thread here in Site comments asking for suggestions on the ToS - maybe you can suggest clarified wording to the Donations clause? :)

Spotastic

I've been using the mobile version of the site for the last month or so. I don't know if this is something Admods can fix, but periodically when I load a section of the forum, it will mark everything in that area as read. For example, I click on site comments at the top of the page when I'm reading this thread and sometimes it will mark all other posts as read.

.Lia

I've been using the mobile version of the site for the last month or so. I don't know if this is something Admods can fix, but periodically when I load a section of the forum, it will mark everything in that area as read. For example, I click on site comments at the top of the page when I'm reading this thread and sometimes it will mark all other posts as read.

Hrmmmm maybe post in bug tracker so our webmaster can take a look at it when she gets the chance?

Spotastic

I can do that.

Skycaptain

R.e. The above, my mobile ( android using chrome) has just done exactly the same thing

AceofThrones

'ello, gov'neh. ;) May I be so bold as to ask why my topic

The good, bad and ugly's of this FB and this ALGBTQ world

was locked? I'm sure I wouldn't have locked it and I don't remember getting a warning about this.

.Lia

'ello, gov'neh. ;) May I be so bold as to ask why my topic

The good, bad and ugly's of this FB and this ALGBTQ world

was locked? I'm sure I wouldn't have locked it and I don't remember getting a warning about this.

Because it's an old thread that had not been posted in for almost a year. Some moderators choose to go through their forums and periodically lock all threads that have been inactive for 6 months or more. It looks like that was what happened to your thread :)

WünderBâhr

Hrmmmm maybe post in bug tracker so our webmaster can take a look at it when she gets the chance?

Speaking of, is there a particular timetable in which the bug tracker issues are to be resolved or responded to/updated? Also, out of curiosity, is it necessary to log into AVEN to access/update said reports?

Robin L

Speaking of, is there a particular timetable in which the bug tracker issues are to be resolved or responded to/updated? Also, out of curiosity, is it necessary to log into AVEN to access/update said reports?

1. Not really, it depends on Cole. 2. You can't even see the bug tracker when logged out.

Frigid Pink

Is it a spam thread? We may have moved it to the troll graveyard

No, it's an actual post with content that I can read in my e-mail notification.

If you PM me a link to the thread I can try to figure out the issue.

I think I understand what the issue is now. I received two e-mails today for the same topic and both had different links (first one from the first e-mail doesn't work and second one from the second e-mail works). Edit note on post says "merged duplicates."

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/129178-i-have-no-idea-what-up-do/?view=getnewpost

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/129177-i-have-no-idea-what-up-do/#entry1061486806

• Like 1

.Lia

Is it a spam thread? We may have moved it to the troll graveyard

No, it's an actual post with content that I can read in my e-mail notification.

If you PM me a link to the thread I can try to figure out the issue.

I think I understand what the issue is now. I received two e-mails today for the same topic and both had different links (first one from the first e-mail doesn't work and second one from the second e-mail works). Edit note on post says "merged duplicates."

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/129178-i-have-no-idea-what-up-do/?view=getnewpost

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/129177-i-have-no-idea-what-up-do/#entry1061486806

That could definitely do it. We will merge duplicate threads, or move one to a hidden "graveyard" forum to keep the main forums neat and tidy :)

• Like 3

SkyWorld

:redface: Both threads had replies... or else I would have graveyarded it. :unsure: :lol:

• Like 1

.Lia

:redface: Both threads had replies... or else I would have graveyarded it. :unsure: :lol:

It's okay :) Merging them or graveyarding them has nothing to do with user email notifications. The user gets a notification the second a thread is created, even if it's created multiple times.

• Like 1

TruBluMOM

Site enhancement idea, actually two three....wasn't sure where to post.

I frequently use the "view new content" feature to...well...view new content. It would be nice to have the following:

1. To be able to toggle the "filter by forum" feature on and off, without losing the filters I've set each time.
  2. To be able to select individual items or pages of items and mark them as read, without having "select forum as read" (a.k.a. select all) as the only option. I if I am away for any period of time, I will frequently find I have 4 to 12 pages of unread items, would be nice to review all of page 12, for example, and they say mark all of these items as read, without also wiping out the other 11 pages worth of items that I haven't reviewed yet. Other wise, things continue to change at a rate faster than I can keep up with, or it is difficult to remember that I still want to check out these 4 things, but I also want to mark all as read so as to clear up all the other stuff that I have determined is not of interest, and at this point is just serving as clutter. An alternate idea, but one that sounds more complex to me...
  3. Allow users to mark individual items as "not of interest" so that even if new activity is added, it won't clutter their "view new content" view.

.Lia

Site enhancement idea, actually two three....wasn't sure where to post.

I frequently use the "view new content" feature to...well...view new content. It would be nice to have the following:

1. To be able to toggle the "filter by forum" feature on and off, without losing the filters I've set each time.
  2. To be able to select individual items or pages of items and mark them as read, without having "select forum as read" (a.k.a. select all) as the only option. I if I am away for any period of time, I will frequently find I have 4 to 12 pages of unread items, would be nice to review all of page 12, for example, and they say mark all of these items as read, without also wiping out the other 11 pages worth of items that I haven't reviewed yet. Other wise, things continue to change at a rate faster than I can keep up with, or it is difficult to remember that I still want to check out these 4 things, but I also want to mark all as read so as to clear up all the other stuff that I have determined is not of interest, and at this point is just serving as clutter. An alternate idea, but one that sounds more complex to me...
  3. Allow users to mark individual items as "not of interest" so that even if new activity is added, it won't clutter their "view new content" view.

Thanks for posting! Unfortunately, these updates are on IPB's side, and not AVEN's :(