Jump to content
.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

Recommended Posts

Lee ūüĆł

Aaaaaannnnnnd my post glitched again. ūüė≠¬†*summons @Goonie*

 

Edit: Nevermind, we're good!

Edited by Lee ūüĆł
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Road
34 minutes ago, Chihiro said:

And yes, moderating is a thankless job, as are so many other thousands of positions in this world. Just because you are doing it without getting paid, doesn't mean I should treat this position any differently than a paid job. Its a position that comes with responsibility, just like any other job.

As someone who works and volunteers with the public, this is a pet peeve of mine. Yes, volunteer positions carry responsibilities and there needs to be accountability. That is absolutely true and I won't argue with it one bit. The problem I have is treating well-meaning volunteers exactly same as paid employees. Paid employees will (or should) grin and bear through a lot of poor treatment because they get paid for it. Volunteers get no such luxury.

 

I've seen so many dissuaded from volunteering because it's not worth it for them to take the abuse that often gets hurled at them. I'm not saying you're abusing anyone right now - far from it. I just wish that people would take a gentler approach when it came to interacting with volunteers. Treat mistakes and flubs as moments to teach rather than to scold.

 

With regards to the current issue, I don't think there was any malice behind what happened - people were trying to be encouraging with the best intentions for AVEN. I have a hard time being upset with anyone acting with good intentions. All I think that's needed is a gentle reminder that people should be careful encouraging and endorsing others because it might dissuade others from trying.

 

Anyswitch - that's all I really have to say. Hope I didn't overstep my bounds or anything.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
disGraceful

Members online at the bottom appear to not highlight people in their staff colors anymore. Is this new and/or on purpose? Would make finding an admod quickly more difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OptimisticPessimist

@disGraceful Not on purpose. Not sure why it’s changed but it’s being looked into

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
InquisitivePhilosopher
On 4/14/2019 at 5:24 PM, Coleslaw said:

We needed to update the server, forum, and chat software last night to comply with a security patch that forced us to PHP 7.2. I am still working to realign custom settings for the forum, as restoring the chat was a top priority.

Some features, like the Next Unread, are being updated by a cron job on the database as we speak and might be restored automatically. Colours for the usernames, however, I am working to restore manually.

@disGraceful :) An Admod said they would fix it. Here's the update, from a few pages back.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Qutenkuddly
On 4/20/2019 at 6:19 PM, disGraceful said:

Why does chat auto censor now?

Imma guess that it has something to do with the recent Arrowchat update which has caused a bit of havoc in a number of ways. Before you ask, no, I don't yet have any means to modify or disable it that I've found.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mz Terry

There appears to be something weird happening on the backup boards, a bot posting madly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skycaptain

@Mz Terry, we have a spammer there.

However because that board hasn't been updated for ages, the admods aren't the same people there as here. I, for one, don't have the ability to block spammers there 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FaerieFate
6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Mz Terry, we have a spammer there.

However because that board hasn't been updated for ages, the admods aren't the same people there as here. I, for one, don't have the ability to block spammers there 

PM me a link to the backup boards and I can see if I have permissions?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FaerieFate
6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Mz Terry, we have a spammer there.

However because that board hasn't been updated for ages, the admods aren't the same people there as here. I, for one, don't have the ability to block spammers there 

nvm, I found it. I am not mod on the boards being spammed, and I can't block spammers there. I am mod of Q&A there, though, so someone should really update that...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scarletlatitude
23 minutes ago, FaerieFate said:

nvm, I found it. I am not mod on the boards being spammed, and I can't block spammers there. I am mod of Q&A there, though, so someone should really update that...

Being worked on. It appears there is no way to block spam from a mod perspective. Admins might have to do it.

 

Pretty sure I am also still a mod over there. :P I can poke admins to revise it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kelly

Got it. Fixed it. Thanks!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roy M.

So as I said I came back to AVEN after years in the Army.  I'd like to get back in touch with the community.  What stuff is there to do to contribute?  I feel like there was stuff to be involved but I dont really remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daveb
38 minutes ago, Roy M. said:

So as I said I came back to AVEN after years in the Army.¬† I'd like to get back in touch with the community.¬† What stuff is there to do to contribute?¬† I feel like there was stuff to be involved but I dont really remember.ÔĽŅ

Welcome back and :cake:

 

Maybe participate in (or start) local AVEN meetups in your area?

Here on the forums you could do things like run for a moderation position, contribute to AVENues, post on the forums, and maybe see about participating in some of the other forum stuff like some of the other teams (Project team, Declass team) when they have a need for more people. others might have additional ideas for ways to contribute. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roy M.
1 hour ago, daveb said:

Welcome back and :cake:

 

Maybe participate in (or start) local AVEN meetups in your area?

Here on the forums you could do things like run for a moderation position, contribute to AVENues, post on the forums, and maybe see about participating in some of the other forum stuff like some of the other teams (Project team, Declass team) when they have a need for more people. others might have additional ideas for ways to contribute. :) 

I've got a kid to take care of so anything I can do from home (like on the forums) is good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest nubianeurope

Can an admin delete/deactivate my account? I don't want to be here any longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tanwen
On 4/19/2019 at 8:05 AM, Kimmie. said:

My participation in the latest election seems to have brought up some emotions from some users, So i wonder should members like me that are friends with someone in the staff be allowed to step in a election? Because i get what they mean about the unfair advantage. 

 

It is maybe time to add a new rule to prevent that. Like staff are not alowed to mention a member that is participating in any  positive or negative light. under the whole process from headwear tossing to being elected. Or something similar.

Back in the mists of time, it was admod policy not to comment at all on any nominee - either favourably or otherwise. I'm not sure when that changed

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kimmie.
44 minutes ago, Tanwen said:

Back in the mists of time, it was admod policy not to comment at all on any nominee - either favourably or otherwise. I'm not sure when that changed

That rule sounds reasonable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Back to Avalon

Why do some people's profiles say they haven't logged in for days or months when you know that isn't accurate because they just posted something? Do some people turn off the feature that shows when they last logged in, or is there a glitch in the system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrismaticDream
1 minute ago, Back to Avalon said:

Why do some people's profiles say they haven't logged in for days or months when you know that isn't accurate because they just posted something? Do some people turn off the feature that shows when they last logged in, or is there a glitch in the system?

There is a feature that allows people to log in as anonymous, so they won't show as being online. In that case, the last visited date is the last time they logged in not as anonymous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Back to Avalon

If they log in anonymously, does that mean they aren't posting as themselves? I've seen some people whose profiles say they haven't logged in for months, but they've posted as themselves, posted status updates, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrismaticDream
2 minutes ago, Back to Avalon said:

If they log in anonymously, does that mean they aren't posting as themselves? I've seen some people whose profiles say they haven't logged in for months, but they've posted as themselves, posted status updates, etc.

Yes, they are posting as themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...