.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

.Lia

OK. We can always rediscuss so I'll bring it up to the team and let you know. If you don't hear from me within a week or so, just poke me in a PM about it :)

tase

I was active in another online community several years back and we had something very similar to what ThaHoward described. It was a lot of fun and a big success. Of course 100% voluntary. I would be happy to lend a hand in the planning if approved.

ThaHoward

Yes, I've had it before, and it was funny :p Got loads of DVD's and candy, so I was happy :p (Now, it wasn't me who brought it up this tiem really, it was this user http://www.asexuality.org/en/user/86649-noehope/so talk to her if you want to help/be part,of it).

.Lia

Just remember, international shipping can take WEEKS. It's good to get it started as early as possible, ending the drawing and entering portion by Halloween so people have time to shop and ship, and still have people get packages before Christmas.

• Like 1

tase

Oh well, I was gonna ask at the end of the month XD But yes, I was thinking of doing a Secret Santa type of thing with real addresses. I've participated in a few of them on different forums, and on one it became a sort of tradition as we did it every year.

I was gonna ask at the end of the month, and if I got permission, opened a thread explaining how the whole thing would go, then let people apply for one month, at the end of November/beginning of December I'd mix them up and tell each person in private who they're to send their gift to. It would be up to the sender if they left their identity a secret or decided to reveal themselves. People would be mixed up in a way that each person gets to send a gift and receive a gift. When the person received the gift, they'd write in the thread to let us know, and if they want to, they could post pictures and/or thank the sender publicly.

People could send me their addresses here on AVEN, or I could make an email account specially for this. Someone's address would be known only by me and the person they're getting the gift from.

That's basically the gist of it, for now.

Sounds perfect.

.Lia

That would definitely be your choice. The Admods are discussing the idea, so give us a couple of days to discuss and get back to you guys about it.

CosineTheCat

Yeah, just as information it took 4 months for something to get from Canada to Australia and this was when it's not backed up. You want to get things going as quick as possible because it is getting close to Christmas and mail will get clogged up. Seriosuly back up pretty quickly

• Like 1

ThaHoward

It have only taken a few days for me inside europe. Just get the sticker "A - Prioritaire" (it's free) and it will be sent with an airplane.

Frigid Pink

Is it possible for elections and polls to be sent to all members in PM form or in an e-mail (like when you click to follow a thread), so, that more people are aware of the elections and polls and have an opportunity to vote in them? Or, can we at least create an election or poll forum or thread where people can click to receive a notification any time someone creates a new election or poll, therefore, only the people that want that can have that?

EDIT:

Okay, maybe just answer the first question. I just figured out I can click to follow an entire forum and just now did so for "AVEN elections" and "Census Forum."

SkyWorld

Is it possible for elections and polls to be sent to all members in PM form or in an e-mail (like when you click to follow a thread), so, that more people are aware of the elections and polls and have an opportunity to vote in them? Or, can we at least create an election or poll forum or thread where people can click to receive a notification any time someone creates a new election or poll, therefore, only the people that want that can have that?

EDIT:

Okay, maybe just answer the first question. I just figured out I can click to follow an entire forum and just now did so for "AVEN elections" and "Census Forum."

I'm not too sure... the only thing I can think of is follow the Announcements Forum (if you want to get the nominee thread notification) and/or follow the AVEN Elections Forum. Then go to settings -> notification options -> check box for email "Notification method to use for topics in followed forums". Thing is with this, you would get emails for new topics of all forums that you follow, and Announcement Threads don't get just "Nomination" threads, but many other kinds of announcements. I hoped that this has helped some.

WünderBâhr

What about keeping the Election forum open for the election announcements? It would only be open when an open position is announced for nominations and a campaign/poll thread created. So, there wouldn't be much more for maintenance, just a different space for it.

Yeah, there's an Announcements forum, but if the description for the (already separate) election forum was edited to include the election announcement/nom threads, it would be easy to find (it is the top forum in the index) and help declutter Announcements forum a bit. It would also make it so that the nom threads don't get buried with the other announcements.

Just a thought.

Edited by remnant

Blitzentan

the Declassification Team has been in place for a few weeks now, Has any decision been taken regarding requests for declassification out of 'order'?

.Lia

In regards to the Secret Santa request:

The Admod Team has decided that running such an event on AVEN's forums is okay. However, it must be CLEARLY stated that this is not an AVEN endorsed event and that you are just using our forums as a platform to organize. We also wish to caution members to participate only if they feel 100% comfortable with giving out their personal information (name and address) to people they may not know.

A personal suggestion that doesn't have to be taken: I think it'd be cool to offer a digital and non-digital option. So for instance, if I wanted to join but didn't want to give my name/address, I could opt in for a digital exchange and I'd be paired with someone who either also opted for digital only or who said they didn't care either way. Same for non-digital and those who are okay giving their address.

Another suggestion that was brought up by the team is to give those signing up the option to request being paired with someone in their own country to reduce shipping costs. I'd be paired with Tea, for example, as we're both in the US and MIc with Tan as they're both in the UK, etc.

Again, the last two are suggestions but the first paragraph must be adhered to when creating the event thread.

• Like 2

Janus DarkFox

A major issue with secret santa events is maintaining anonymity. For communities that have done this for years, a communities mods must be trusted enough to handle personal information whilst maintaining anonymity, so each party will never know the others personal information. Large communities like Reddit cannot let its users know about other users personal information. So mods or the secret santa organisers must be trusted enough with personal information while keeping the participants anonymity and security safe.

CosineTheCat

It might end up that there is no anonymy because they're dealing with personal information. As the mod team we are not supporting it, we are allowing it on the site, how it is set up is up to the people organising it.

• Like 1

ithaca

There are big security issues with the secret santa thing. A person knows they're giving their real life address, but they never know if it ends up in the hands of someone who then turns out to be a stalker, or a child predator (hey, lots of minors on here). If anything happened and that person held AVEN responsible, that could bring legal concerns.

ThaHoward

Just like with meetups, exchanhing social media, pictures, pride events etc..

ThaHoward

Is it going to anymore declassification elections?

.Lia

Is it going to anymore declassification elections?

Eventually. We have a couple of PT elections coming but we might hold off on mod/dt elections until after the holidays simply because of the sheer volume we've had of them lately.

Findus

A question about the "currently viewing" on a member's profile.

If you have two tabs open with AVEN, what does it say?

(not an important question I know, I'm just curious about irrelevant stuff)

♣Ryan♣

A question about the "currently viewing" on a member's profile.

If you have two tabs open with AVEN, what does it say?

(not an important question I know, I'm just curious about irrelevant stuff)

It will say the most current tab you made so say you go in thread A and in another tab go in thread B right after thread B will show up as it was the last activity you did.

• Like 1

Blitzentan

:D

the Declassification Team has been in place for a few weeks now, Has any decision been taken regarding requests for declassification out of 'order'?

♣Ryan♣

:D

Yes, we do take request for threads to be declassified out of order as long as the thread in question is not marked unmoveable and is older then 6 months or more.

Blitzentan

Thanks for the response :) . Do we send our requests to admods in general or to one of the Declassifying Team?

.Lia

If it were me, I'd choose to send to the DT.

Skycaptain

A load of spam has appeared in musi rants

TruBluMOM

3 questions:

1. How do I, or where does it say how to, quote someone's post in a response? I see the quote and multi quote boxes, but can't figure out what they actually do (feeling inept).
  2. When I search for "quote" in the search box, it comes back saying the word quote was deleted from my search, and thus it has found zero responses to my search and that since it deleted the only word in my search that my search is now under 2 characters....why does it do this?
  3. The site recently seems to think that I speak/read Chinese, so Chinese threads are showing up for me to view in Forums. How (and again where can I learn) can I get rid of these posts which I can't read and only serve to clutter my view?

SkyWorld

3 questions:

1. How do I, or where does it say how to, quote someone's post in a response? I see the quote and multi quote boxes, but can't figure out what they actually do (feeling inept).
  2. When I search for "quote" in the search box, it comes back saying the word quote was deleted from my search, and thus it has found zero responses to my search and that since it deleted the only word in my search that my search is now under 2 characters....why does it do this?
  3. The site recently seems to think that I speak/read Chinese, so Chinese threads are showing up for me to view in Forums. How (and again where can I learn) can I get rid of these posts which I can't read and only serve to clutter my view?

:) I'm actually setting up a list of how-to's and it would include this. Though, until then, when you click the quote button, it would automatically show the quote in the text box at the bottom and you can respond after it.

Hmm... I'm not too sure why that happens... did you use the word "quote" itself in your posts? I don't think BBcodes work in the search. Searching for "spoiler" for example might not work... unless you use the word itself in your post.

That's a spammer, they need to be banned and their threads need to be removed. Since it's not in my forum, I cannot remove them. We'd have to wait for the forum mod or an admin to come online. :)

• Like 2