.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

Grace Barton

My notifications almost never load, so I can't see them. It just keeps trying to load for minutes on end. Sometimes it will come up after a bit, other times not. What giveth? This was intermittently a problem in the past, but lately, it's 90% of the time I try to look at them.

I think it's just AVEN being laggy and finicky because I've had the same problem for the past few weeks now, and other people mentioned it as well. : (

It's not just you guys, I also get issues like that, although I couldn't tell you how or why.

I get the same with the notifications. I get it with posting as well. Aside from not being able to post pictures or videos anymore, sometimes it takes forever for my screen to refresh after I've clicked post. Often I have to reload the website in another tab to see if my post went through so I can do something else.

• Like 3

ThaHoward

Just realized, that after the many threads about "[insert in the] military" would it be an idea to have a common thread for it?

• Like 1

Plectrophenax

My notifications almost never load, so I can't see them. It just keeps trying to load for minutes on end. Sometimes it will come up after a bit, other times not. What giveth? This was intermittently a problem in the past, but lately, it's 90% of the time I try to look at them.

I think it's just AVEN being laggy and finicky because I've had the same problem for the past few weeks now, and other people mentioned it as well. : (

It's not just you guys, I also get issues like that, although I couldn't tell you how or why.

I get the same with the notifications. I get it with posting as well. Aside from not being able to post pictures or videos anymore, sometimes it takes forever for my screen to refresh after I've clicked post. Often I have to reload the website in another tab to see if my post went through so I can do something else.

Clearly, this is a common problem. When it happened the first time [regarding posts] I sent a report to the mail-address that it told me to inform, but I'm not sure how helpful that was - and it doesn't seem to affect the site itself, rather it's a problem limited to loading and thus only really affects convenience. That's one thing, at least.

SkyWorld

I'm not too sure why, I have this problem as well. Maybe it's another update in the midst.

Woodworker1968

Why does aven not have a button to deactive an account? It would be much easier and faster than PM and admin..

As it might take hours for an admin to deactivate an account.The whole interaction is useless and pointless...

I lurked on some board a couple of months ago that had a little referee whistle in the toolbar for call-outs.

Sally

Yeah -- I get this green rectangle with the little white dots flashing.

Skycaptain

^^ that is a signal that the site is trying to upload your post or validation. Treat it as a warning that everything is running slow

Skycaptain

sorry to double post, but a thought has occurred. Name changes. Could we have a thread where admod name changes have been made so members can still recognise who these people are. Especially when many admods change at once, as happens around now or Christmas it can appear a little confusing to newcomers in particular.

• Like 2

.Lia

sorry to double post, but a thought has occurred. Name changes. Could we have a thread where admod name changes have been made so members can still recognise who these people are. Especially when many admods change at once, as happens around now or Christmas it can appear a little confusing to newcomers in particular.

Get out of my heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead! I made this same request in Admods but I suppose keeping a thread in Site Info? Like, I'd post "Lia" (and only "Lia) and the same for others and that way when names change, you have who's who in the list.

• Like 3

CosineTheCat

I rather disagree XD

My personal opinion is that like changing my name an people not knowing who I am. (anyone who knows me on Skype knows it changes regularly with very little consistency on the names). If you do ever wonder who a person is just ask them through PM. I'll always answer honestly.

As Lia talking about in admods I agree because it's important to know who is that other Admod you're talking too. But checking name changes is the surefire way at figuring out who it is. Members change their names without letting everyone else know (although they use too but that thread died out a while ago).

• Like 1

.Lia

I rather disagree XD

My personal opinion is that like changing my name an people not knowing who I am. (anyone who knows me on Skype knows it changes regularly with very little consistency on the names). If you do ever wonder who a person is just ask them through PM. I'll always answer honestly.

As Lia talking about in admods I agree because it's important to know who is that other Admod you're talking too. But checking name changes is the surefire way at figuring out who it is. Members change their names without letting everyone else know (although they use too but that thread died out a while ago).

Isn't it just as important as members knowing which Admod is which?

deltaX

My opinion is that I do like the idea of having a name change thread for admods, just so that we know who is who. I think knowing who the moderators are is important, but it might not be immediately obvious if mods change names a lot. Especially for situations like the recent Halloween name changes that don't necessarily have much to do with the person's original username.

Of course, it's easy enough for people to ask the admod who they are or check on their profile so it's not super critical, but I think it would be a useful resource for newer members who might not know how to do that, but still what to know which admod is which.

CosineTheCat

I rather disagree XD

Isn't it just as important as members knowing which Admod is which?

Just thinking practically, most people wont even use that page, it's more likely that anyone that will want to know who someone is there is already a function for that which is the check name change on their profile. I mean we already have members that don't know where the ask admod's email address is linked or where to find it, having another thread that requires searching will only be used by very few that understand the site well.

My main point is that we have a function that allows us to check who someone is, regardless of status on AVEN. and having an additional thread would be a little bit of a waste.

• Like 1

SkyWorld

Oh, what may help is that admods who have changed their names have their common names in their signature or maybe even customize their member title with their most known username.

• Like 5

deltaX

Oh, what may help is that admods who have changed their names have their common names in their signature or maybe even customize their member title with their most known username.

I'd support this. :)

• Like 1

D-Ace

I like the idea of the previous name becoming someone's member title for atleast a period of a few months so we can all keep track and not just think that there is a new mod or new member. When people change their name and photo they may as well be a whole new person to me because I rarely bother checking out profiles to see who someone is. Plus most profiles don't actually give very much info so it seems pointless most of the time when I do.

• Like 2

cavyX

I think an extra thread about what admods are what names wouldn't really hurt. If people want to use it they could, if they didn't then they wouldn't, you know? As admods I think there is a certain expected visibility from us and it would be helpful for members to know who they are looking for if they have a problem and such.

Or the previous name in the signature is good too.

• Like 3

Skycaptain

I'm glad to see such a positive response to a suggestion. Thanks folks.

• Like 2

WünderBâhr

I like the idea of the previous name becoming someone's member title for atleast a period of a few months so we can all keep track and not just think that there is a new mod or new member. When people change their name and photo they may as well be a whole new person to me because I rarely bother checking out profiles to see who someone is. Plus most profiles don't actually give very much info so it seems pointless most of the time when I do.

I agree with most of this, though if anyone was terribly interested they always have the option of checking the display name history on someone's profile. This seems like just another thread to post info that could fall to the wayside if other things become more pressing than maintaining a post with a "common name".

Also, how unfamiliar with an Admod do regulars in forums have to be to not recognize when a previous post has a different name attached? Or even for newbies... the Admods should be present enough in their forums/gen. site responsibilities that members get a sense of what they do or what part(s) of the site they cover.

Wouldn't this be resolved just as easily by more interaction with members and a bit of effort on both sides? I mean.. yay for ease of access I suppose. All for user-friendliness, but out of everything that could have received express admod consideration, this seems pretty... low on the list. *le shrug* :) my meandering two cents

P.S. on mobile browser and hit the wrong quote button. Tis fixed. ^ ^

Edited by remnant
  • Like 1

.Lia

It's not about not recognizing (for example) me, or Amcan or Kelly who never change their name, or LG who changes her name in October to something very similar to Lady Girl. It's about recognizing Tea, or GIR, who change their names often and often to unrelated things. So while more interaction with members is always a good idea, and one I fully support always, I don't think it's the answer here.

I'll post what prompted this for me: I was away from AVEN for a full week due to visiting family and friends. I've been an Admod for 2+ years and I know each Admod fairly well. When I came back Sunday night, I had no idea who was who on the Admod team for the most part. If I didn't know who was Tea or who was Cosine or who was GIR, then how would anyone expect members, who don't have quite as much interaction with them as other Admods due to logistics, to know who they are?

• Like 3

WünderBâhr

Well, I changed my name and just about everything on my profile, and yet people managed to know who I am/was, regardless. And I rarely post/post as often as the majority of Admods. :p I guess it just depends on who tries to find out or how well they know the features/individual with multiple name changes.

The same could be argued for long-standing and/or vocal members of the community who decide to take a break from being known as (insert name here). It is true that it affects the community, but not to such an extent that a dedicated thread (which is optional... so... there's that) is needed for all admod time.

However, I'm not terribly affected, either way. I know who Admods are by seeing their green status and when they sign (x forum) Moderator, to their green posts. Just seemed odd to make a thread about it when other issues, like tech concerns (only example I can think of, atm), are pending.

.Lia

Well tech concerns aren't something that Admods can handle, in general. Also, it's important to know that Lady Ghoul is Lady Girl when you have a question about a project that she's putting together, or that +Spookzar is +Pookzar when you have a question about or an issue in chat, etc.

Skycaptain

I thank the admods for the new thread they have created listing name changes :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

For those who query just remember that mobile AVEN doesn't show signatures, profiles, greens, oranges, reds, pinks in the same way as the full site does. Some of our community can only use mobile and we must not ignore their perceptive here

• Like 4

.Lia

I didn't know that about mobile version.

• Like 1

WünderBâhr

Mobile version differs in a lot of ways. There are many features that aren't available for mobile which are on desktop version, unless people are using mobile which can access desktop versions via certain smartphones (which is still not reliable, tbh).

Thanks for offering a good point, SkyCaptain. I could see that being more reason for having a thread than just focusing on name changes. :)

A Member Once Known As tqz

Not helpful to me as a general member.

All member names are automatically updated in all previous posts in all threads throughout time. For moderators, the names at the bottom of the page of the forum they moderate automatically update. This is likely so for any projects, too. The names update in place where they are needed and are also a link to the profiles that will tell more, such as a whole list of previous names and not just someone's favorite name.

Case in point, the moderator newly elected last week as Shiny Umbreon changed names (and avatar!) to @Clemy the day after the election was over, but listed only “Clemy” and “GIR” in that “Admods Directory” thread created a few days after the election. As such, the current profile pages with the “Display name history” link on the righthand side of the page providing a full listing of name changes (and dates of the name changes) was much more helpful when I wondered about what happened to the recently elected moderators. I dare say that listing in people's profiles is also quicker to get to as well as more likely to be stumbled upon when name change information is desired.

As for who is who, that has not mattered to me as a general member as of yet when it comes to moderators. I keep noticing members asking in threads about what to do about hypothetical situations and then being told by a moderator to contact any moderator in such hypothetical situations. Repeat: contact any moderator, do not worry about picking the right one, the message will get redirected. This is further supported by the website itself with the “Report” button on every post which I have understood to automatically send the report to the appropriate moderator(s) (or at least a good initial automated guess).

This does seem to me more of a concern for the moderators amongst themselves, and their contacts for projects. I expect there are more effective channels for communicating the name changes to each other, assuming people can't resolve them with the profiles. I also expect that new thread to be yet another maintenance nightmare, something that has already been automated in the forum database, and readily and relevantly presented on each profile in much greater detail.

You know what would help me as member when it comes to name changes? Having the relevant member name for a long ago past posting automatically shown in the member blurb that's on the lefthand side of the post. I get momentarily confused when reading posts from long ago when people refer to each other by their names they had back then which is different than their current name that is presented in that member blurb. It'd be very convenient for me if the the dates of the post could be cross-referenced with the name change list for that member, and then when different simply indicate in parentheses the member's name at that time under their current name. Easier to resolve any confusion of who WAS who way back when. That also would have helped with that previous case I mentioned happening a few days ago.

Of course that's a technical change and unlikely to ever happen, if only because the product being used for the forums is, well, somebody else's spaghetti code that'd need untangling. Waiting forever for the original developers to make such changes to the product is life as usual.

• Like 1

ThaHoward

Secret santa stuff isn't alowed on AVEN right?

.Lia

I don't think we've ever had that sort of request. Can you outline how you'd run it (digital gifts like art and stories? or RL gifts involving addresses?) and I can bring it up to Admods for formal discussion. I personally send cards out to any Admod who would like to send me their address around Christmas time :)

ThaHoward

Remember I asked about it 2 years ago (I think), and then I got a reply that you wouldn't risk it or something like that. Basically that avenites send eachother a gift from a "secret santa". So if 10 persons are interested, each of those persons will get one to send their gifts too (of course withing a reasoneble price) and you will recieve the gift yourself. It's of course entirley volountairly and so on.