.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

Frankentan

Members are seldom allowed in any 'discussion', but have on the odd occasion been allowed a 'non binding poll'; most of the time the first we know about anything is when the announcement is made 'The team have decided....' :(

.Lia

Many of our discussions come from ideas or snippits of conversation that first happened between members.

CosineTheCat

I wasn't sure whether these points would be considered disrupting an election so am posting here for safety. In the Declassifying Team Election thread, Cosine the Cat said

We in Admods at any given time have a lot of discussions going on, most of which never really make it to the board.

It's my understanding that there are (or should be) very few threads which cannot be declassified.

You will without a doubt at some point be asked a really random question through PM about something on the board. Let's say its something simple such as Where do you think this thread should belong? do you feel you know enough about the board to help?

How about if its something a little more difficult, such as Member XXX did this to me in this thread, How would you handle it?

Kisa the Cat said:

You will probably be dealing with some issues that are...ummm...outside of what you signed up for.

If you see something in chat, what would you do (keep in mind that you won't have mod shinies so that's not an option)

If you see something on the boards, what would you do

If a member sends a report to you, what would you do

Are you the type to declass a lot of smaller threads or work on one large one (I can tell you from experience that you can't do both without getting a headache)

It was also my understanding that the Declassifiying Team would not be taking part in discussions, that they would have access to admods only as far as it would be necessary to be able to move threads for redaction. Are they now to be another 'branch' of admods - sort of 'Mods without forum'?

Sorry!

For mine I just wanted someone to think about what they're getting into, asking a "if this happened how would you respond" type question. I find them to be quite difficult to answer when you don't technically know the answer, but they're still important. Oh, and yeah, I meant well it was being talked about. It'll be declared sure, but this question was about the discussion when it was happening.

As for the discussions one, I was just being honest. I was asked a very similar question in my election. This is why I made a very general questions with a little bit of modiness but also somethings that might pertain to declass and the abilities declass will have.

About the one that they'll get pm'd, they're going to have their names highlighted and might send up getting a random question asked to them about the board or even asked about disciplinary actions themselves. Something of which they don't have to answer and not excepted to. I was just wondering where, that as members, would draw the line.

CosineTheCat

Stupid phone,

DECLASSIFIED not DECLARED

Kisa needs a latte

Kisa the Cat said:

You will probably be dealing with some issues that are...ummm...outside of what you signed up for.

If you see something in chat, what would you do (keep in mind that you won't have mod shinies so that's not an option)

If you see something on the boards, what would you do

If a member sends a report to you, what would you do

Are you the type to declass a lot of smaller threads or work on one large one (I can tell you from experience that you can't do both without getting a headache)

It was also my understanding that the Declassifiying Team would not be taking part in discussions, that they would have access to admods only as far as it would be necessary to be able to move threads for redaction.

Your understanding is correct, but not every member thinks that about colorful names. I want to see how people handle that

Member4445

Hypothetically, could admods take back the decision of a previous appeal (which went in the members favour) at a later date?

.Lia

Hypothetically, could admods take back the decision of a previous appeal (which went in the members favour) at a later date?

Reverse an appeal? No. The member can do something that will trigger another line of disciplinary action, though, that can lead to another warn/ban/suspension/etc.

.Lia

I'm going to amend my answer some, leaving my original for context.

Admods is a living breathing thing, you know? So let's say we approve an appeal which means a ban or warning was removed from a member's record. However, in a short time, something comes to our attention that shows that our decision was based on wrong evidence, or something. So you're warned for personal insults in chat, and it's not the other person reporting it right away, and your appeal argues that you're good friends with the other person and it's an inside joke, so we remove the warning and downgrade it to a nudge, reminding you that we can't always know this and it's best to include a "j/k" or similar. And the person you've called names then reports the situation, having held off for whatever reason, stating you've done this in the past after they've asked you to stop. It's complicated, see? We'd likely open a new discussion and see where to go from there. The warning might be added back on? To my knowledge, though, nothing like my example has ever happened while I've been in Admods.

ithaca

I'm going to amend my answer some, leaving my original for context.

Admods is a living breathing thing, you know? So let's say we approve an appeal which means a ban or warning was removed from a member's record. However, in a short time, something comes to our attention that shows that our decision was based on wrong evidence, or something. So you're warned for personal insults in chat, and it's not the other person reporting it right away, and your appeal argues that you're good friends with the other person and it's an inside joke, so we remove the warning and downgrade it to a nudge, reminding you that we can't always know this and it's best to include a "j/k" or similar. And the person you've called names then reports the situation, having held off for whatever reason, stating you've done this in the past after they've asked you to stop. It's complicated, see? We'd likely open a new discussion and see where to go from there. The warning might be added back on? To my knowledge, though, nothing like my example has ever happened while I've been in Admods.

Yeah I don't think it would happen, because unless the "insulted" person came forward to confirm that it was an inside joke, the warned person's word on its own might not be enough. I could insult someone, be warned, and then tell you we're mates, and I don't think just my words would be sufficient evidence.

tase

On a completely different subject- I am trying to figure out how to get one of these

10cmdeu.jpg

on my profile page. I did some research and I guess it's called status update? All I was able to come up with was that it could be imported from Facebook status. Is there a way in update profile page?

.Lia

Click on your name at the top right of the screen (with the arrow). There will be a drop down that pops up and in that a box that says "What's on your mind?". Type whatever you want there and then press enter :)

• Like 1

tase

Thank you Lia

• Like 1

Skycaptain

Could someone have a look at the cake emoji thread in site comments, please. My mobile won't let me link directly to admods.

Edit, the same post appears in hotbox.

ithaca

Could someone have a look at the cake emoji thread in site comments, please. My mobile won't let me link directly to admods.

Edit, the same post appears in hotbox.

Yeah there's a spammer. They'll clean it up no worries.

Skycaptain

Cheers. It's just I couldn't report it, and didn't want to call someone a spammer and run the risk of being accused of vigilante modding

ithaca

Cheers. It's just I couldn't report it, and didn't want to call someone a spammer and run the risk of being accused of vigilante modding

Spammer are 99.9999999% objectively spammers, unlike trolls ;) and we used to have a thread to post about them in Site Comments.

Sally

There's currently a case where a member previously posted under another name, was banned, then posted under a sock, was banned, and now they're back again, using that same sock name and doing the same thing they were banned for.

How can that happen?

.Lia

We can't answer about a specific member's disciplinary history. I know you're trying to speak in general terms, but it's obvious who you're speaking about and it's not fair to answer such things when we wouldn't for anyone else.

knout

How come an old thread I posted disappeared (apparently was moved to the 134-2010 subforum) and when I try to access it I get an error?

p.s. : I don't have anything to add to said topic, I was just going through some threads and realized it was gone... Shouldn't I have been informed about such an action? If I breached anything I'd rather know than repeat it :)

.Lia

How come an old thread I posted disappeared (apparently was moved to the 134-2010 subforum) and when I try to access it I get an error?

p.s. : I don't have anything to add to said topic, I was just going through some threads and realized it was gone... Shouldn't I have been informed about such an action? If I breached anything I'd rather know than repeat it :)

Which archive? The World Watch or Census? Which thread was it?

Either way, both of those forums (World Watch and Census) have threads archived, organized by year. This is to keep the current forums...current. And, to better track information, articles, trends, etc.

knout

Hmm, yes I've gathered that they are archived but still read-only. When I go to the whole World Watch Archive it seems I can read all forums except 2010.

Try it now. There was just some settings wrong, but they should be fixed.

knout

It does, cool thanks for the fix

youre_awesome_carl_sagan.gif

Spotastic

Why are entire articles being posted in World Watch again? Hiding them behind a spoiler is still not ok.

• Like 2

Frankentan

It's unfortunate that when a member is banned they lose contact with friends they've made on AVEN. I'm not saying making any comments on the ban or whether or not it's warranted but for an individual to lose the only contact they have with their friends is hard on both parties. I accept that a thread to say where they can be contacted is out of the question but am I allowed to say pm me and I'll do my best to put people in touch?

.Lia

It's unfortunate that when a member is banned they lose contact with friends they've made on AVEN. I'm not saying making any comments on the ban or whether or not it's warranted but for an individual to lose the only contact they have with their friends is hard on both parties. I accept that a thread to say where they can be contacted is out of the question but am I allowed to say pm me and I'll do my best to put people in touch?

I personally do not see a problem with this, however (and not saying you would do this, Tan it's just a general reminder for everyone), please remember that if you're giving out someone's information (skype, email, other profile on other sites), please have their permission. If you're doing it here on AVEN and don't, and the other person reports you, there could be trouble and no one wants to see that happen to anyone. My advice would be to get the information of the AVEN member who is not banned, and their permission to share, and to hand that off to the other person. At least that way, there is record of the permission to share should things go south.

michaeld

Why are entire articles being posted in World Watch again? Hiding them behind a spoiler is still not ok.

Thanks, I'm looking into this. It might be partially my fault, for reasons I'm not comfortable divulging, but let's just say I accept some responsibility for something I said that may have unwittingly led to this. I'll get a full answer ASAP.

• Like 1

ThaHoward

What is the stand on making posts and threads that really doesn't invite to debate? Bascially just making statements and not making a way for a debate and/or if others debate they only make further statements or links? Wouldn't it be better to wrap that kind of, often politcal, posts in one thread? Instead of having several threads will not be active due to having only one quote.

.Lia

Can you link to an example please? I'm having trouble formulating an answer as I can't figure out what sort of posts you're asking about :)

ThaHoward

Okay as an example. IF I post a thread like this:

"This is what the Pirate Party stands for.

Pirate Party is a label adopted by political parties in different countries. Pirate parties support civil rights, direct democracy and participation in government, reform of copyright and patent law, free sharing of knowledge (open content), information privacy,transparency, freedom of information, anti-corruption and network neutrality.

"

And then, if others make posts it is only followed up with unrelated articles or other quotes.

It don't really mean much, it can be viewed as semi-spamming. Wouldn't it be better to have a common thread for stuff like that instead? As it is often only folks who post it who aren't really interested in a debate, but only to show things or air their opinions.