.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

daveb
13 hours ago, daveb said:

I will see what I can do.

After asking and thinking, one thing I believe I can say is that the list of permanently banned members is up to date in Phil's case. Therefore, if he isn't on it he isn't permanently banned.

One thing I'd encourage anyone to do is to have ways outside of AVEN to contact friends, if possible. You never know when there might be a need for that regardless of anything that happens here or in life outside of AVEN. That's not to dismiss the rest of this discussion, which has raised some good points and things to think about.

• Like 5

Ash_the_last

I  want  to know why my status  was removed?   Thanks. 

Mother Bread
1 hour ago, Sir_The_Last said:

I  want  to know why my status  was removed?   Thanks. 

None of your recent statuses have been removed, that I can see.

Leedle-Lee
2 hours ago, Sir_The_Last said:

https://www.asexuality.org/en/profile/64389-sir_the_last/?status=212283&type=status 

That is the  status that I had for a while.  And now it is gone.  😕   I know that it is the correct link since I had to check the  comments on it often. 

That was my bad. I'll send you a PM real quick.

Philip027
On 10/24/2020 at 6:21 PM, Una Salus Victus said:

Pretty sure we're not allowed to openly discuss everyone's disclipanary stuff unless they do so themselves for future reference

On 10/24/2020 at 6:37 PM, Janus DarkFox said:

I’d think only the member themselves can chose to discuss things only.  Often over a long stretch of time Disciplinary gets Declassed in the usual Redacted format with exception to members on a Never Redact List.

Yeah, thing about that is, I tried to openly discuss mine, and the thread I created to do so was promptly ninja deleted by one of you guys without a word.

So I think what you really meant to say was that we're not allowed to openly discuss it, period.

• Like 1

CBC

I'll be surprised if any policy changes are actually made, like the 'one call from jail' idea that Anthra mentioned, or anything else. People are talking like this is a Surprising New Concept. The same issue was raised almost exactly a year ago (dunno what thread, I don't think it was this one) when I returned from one of my suspensions. I truly do not understand why disciplinary actions need to be so secretive. My personal stance on actions taken against me is that I was either disciplined overzealously, in which case I totally stand behind whatever the heck I said and don't care who knows, or I was being a twat and, well, why shouldn't people know that something was done about it? Obviously I don't expect everyone to feel the same way, but this isn't a forum for children and it seems a bit mollycoddle-y to me.

• Like 3

Skycaptain

Disciplinary action is confidential to protect the privacy of the member concerned. Some people may not want it to be public knowledge that they've been warned, nudged or whatever. However anyone is quite within their rights to post about their own warning, nudge, and ask whether our policy is correct, fair, just etc. The only thingsto bear in mind are that discussing on forum waives the right to appeal, and quoting verbatim whatever brought the action in the first place may not be the best idea in some circumstances. 

• Like 1

CBC
2 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

discussing on forum waives the right to appeal

Why?

Skycaptain
2 minutes ago, CBC said:

Why?

That I personally can't answer. It was written into ToS a long time before I joined AVEN 

CBC

Fair enough. Hopefully someone can. I'd like to know the reasoning.

• Like 1

De Mij'lory

I'd imagine there was probably some incident that descended into a very public flame war.

Stating public discussion waives the right to appeal discourages that from happening. Might be wrong though.

• Like 1

Una Salus Victus

I'd imagine, especially since I've seen it happen a couple times, is that it usually turns into a shit fight, quite typically a "me vs them" type thing. If you want the people that gave you the action to turn it over, give a proper case to them, not start a public shitfight crying poor.

• Like 1

Philip027

My deleted thread was not intended to be an appeal.  My posts were disappearing without any sort of explanation why, and I wanted an explanation why (which I think is a completely reasonable thing to want an explanation for; if you disagree then I would like an explanation for that) because from where I was sitting, with my posts disappearing over the course of several days without any sort of "look, we deleted X post of yours because Y" feedback, it really looked like I was being the target of an anonymous silencing attack from within admods.  Instead of getting an explanation why, the post was just "mysteriously" deleted like the others I was remarking about, which only served to confirm my belief.

Again, I think that if we're just not allowed to publicly post about these things, you should just say that, rather than trying to say "well, if the person themselves wants to talk about it publicly, then they can" because clearly that's not actually true.

CBC
14 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

My posts were disappearing without any sort of explanation why

From my experience, that's weird. I'm pretty sure I've always got a 'We hid your post because...' PM.

Philip027

You bet it's weird, and that's the entire reason I made that thread in the first place, because I previously got those exact sorts of PMs when I had posts removed (regardless of whether it was due to my own post breaking a rule, because sometimes it was just a post removed for context due to someone else's post being removed).

The fact that I now had posts disappearing with absolutely zero feedback (even after days of the posts disappearing, which should have been more than enough time to provide said feedback) had me suspecting foul play, and quite frankly, I'm still not entirely convinced that my suspicions were wrong.

I made that thread as a means to offer whoever it was that was silently removing my posts a chance to explain themselves and reassure me that I wasn't actually being anonymously attacked.  They instead took the one course of action that best served to further convince me of my belief.  Great job fostering that user/admod goodwill, I guess.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

Telecaster68

You'd have thought that now it's out in the open, at least a couple of other mods would be in touch to sort it out, too...

(Welcome back btw).

• Like 1

Philip027

I'd say it's more likely that there's at least a couple of mods wishing I'd just shut up about it, if the events surrounding the inciting incident are anything to go by.  It should have only taken one look at my post count to realize how unlikely that was gonna be.  Does it look like I'm the type to ever shut up about anything?

(And thanks, but we should wait and see for how much longer my glorious return is tolerated, hah...)

CBC
6 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

It should have only taken one look at my post count to realize how unlikely that was gonna be.  Does it look like I'm the type to ever shut up about anything?

Well, from the perspective of someone with 69,800+ posts... you're pretty quiet there, Phil. Might wanna step it up a little. ;) 

(I kid, I kid. Obviously. And definitely don't shut up.)

Telecaster68
1 minute ago, Philip027 said:

I'd say it's more likely that there's at least a couple of mods wishing I'd just shut up about it, if the events surrounding the inciting incident are anything to go by.  It should have only taken one look at my post count to realize how unlikely that was gonna be.  Does it look like I'm the type to ever shut up about anything?

(And thanks, but we should wait and see for how much longer my glorious return is tolerated, hah...)

They might want that, but since it's clearly not going to happen, and whatever happened has resulted in the AVEN's usual procedures not happening, and it all looking pretty sketchy, I'd assume there are enough 'good guys' on the team to want to find out what happened. AVEN's rules and ToS are so compendious, and the mods are usually very keen on them being followed to the letter, so it's odd it looks like they want to ignore all that and sweep it under the carpet under this occasion. Obviously that's just appearances though, and explaining what's going will I'm sure show it was nothing untoward.

• Like 1

Philip027
3 minutes ago, CBC said:

Well, from the perspective of someone with 69,800+ posts... you're pretty quiet there, Phil. Might wanna step it up a little. ;) 

(I kid, I kid. Obviously. Please don't shut up.)

I think even if I take into account all the forum posts I've ever made on every forum I've ever been on (which, now that I look, I've been doing since May 2001), it still wouldn't quite hit 70k :<

• Like 1

CBC
1 minute ago, Philip027 said:

I think even if I take into account all the forum posts I've ever made on every forum I've ever been on (which, now that I look, I've been doing since May 2001), it still wouldn't quite hit 70k :<

Take it as an indicator that your sanity is still more intact than mine. Or at the very least, that you probably get more sleep and divide your time spent online more evenly.

Philip027

It's probably more to do with the fact that instead of taking the entire day to write posts about video games on video game forums, I spend most of my time actually playing the video games instead.  What a concept, right?

Anyway, look at that, digressing again.  Why am I still at 12k, anyway?

• Like 1

Telecaster68
Just now, Philip027 said:

Why am I still at 12k, anyway?

It's 18k if you count the deleted ones...

• Like 2

CBC

And here I am, taking an inordinate amount of time to write posts about sex on a discussion forum largely about not wanting sex. Instead of... having constant sex, I guess? Lol.

Well, and posts about basically everything else that enters my mind for a minimum of 0.5 seconds.

• Like 2

Philip027
15 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

It's 18k if you count the deleted ones...

oh god

Janus DarkFox
3 hours ago, Philip027 said:

My deleted thread was not intended to be an appeal.  My posts were disappearing without any sort of explanation why, and I wanted an explanation why (which I think is a completely reasonable thing to want an explanation for; if you disagree then I would like an explanation for that) because from where I was sitting, with my posts disappearing over the course of several days without any sort of "look, we deleted X post of yours because Y" feedback, it really looked like I was being the target of an anonymous silencing attack from within admods.  Instead of getting an explanation why, the post was just "mysteriously" deleted like the others I was remarking about, which only served to confirm my belief.

Usually if a Report is in development, further creation of posts and threads pertain to it are hidden, this is usually detailed in the final report draft due to the timing and development of the report.  I guess sometimes the details are missed if it isn’t in the report draft when sent or details of such extra action is already in the Warning itself.

I’ll note these details in future if I do handle this type of situation myself.

CBC

Could someone not have told Philip why his thread was hidden, via PM, at the exact same time as they hid it?

Spaghetti Cat

It just looks like someone forgot to send the PM. A genuine mistake and no harm meant. You are right though that a PM should have been sent.

• Like 1

Philip027

Yeah, multiple post deletions over the course of days, and the PM was just "forgotten" until right after I made a thread calling it out.  Yep, I believe that.

• Like 1