.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

Autumn Season
43 minutes ago, Homer said:

I can't see anything here unfortunately :(

For a second I thought I was on the invisible ink thread again. :lol:

• Like 1

17keflingz
9 hours ago, Homer said:

I can't see anything here unfortunately :(

No it’s okay. It was an accident.

• Like 1

deltaX
On 7/7/2018 at 4:35 PM, .Lia said:

AVEN follows COPPA and does not allow anyone under the age of 13 to register without parental permission. Still, there are a few users every year who have an account with 20+ posts (sometimes more) who post they're 12 and the account has to be deleted. The only way they registered was by lying about their age. I'm 33. But I can say I'm 17 or 56 or 82. There's no way for Admods or the tech team to verify any of those numbers.

I thought the rule was that members under 13 could not join at all regardless of whether or not they have parental permission.  How would you prove that someone under 13 even has parental permission? 

.Lia
1 minute ago, deltaX said:

I thought the rule was that members under 13 could not join at all regardless of whether or not they have parental permission.  How would you prove that someone under 13 even has parental permission? 

There are forms etc. that must be printed, filled out, signed, and then sent to AVEN peoples (Cole?) via mail or fax. It's a pain in the ass.

deltaX
Just now, .Lia said:

There are forms etc. that must be printed, filled out, signed, and then sent to AVEN peoples (Cole?) via mail or fax. It's a pain in the ass.

Does that ever happen?  I can't imagine many underage people would go through all that hassle when they can easily just lie about their age.  Also, would AVEN then have some sort of legal responsibility to verify the forms are properly signed by a parent/guardian and not just forged?  If so, wouldn't it be easier to just not allow underage members at all?

.Lia
8 minutes ago, deltaX said:

Does that ever happen?

Not really.

8 minutes ago, deltaX said:

Also, would AVEN then have some sort of legal responsibility to verify the forms are properly signed by a parent/guardian and not just forged?

Not to my knowledge. No way to verify.

9 minutes ago, deltaX said:

If so, wouldn't it be easier to just not allow underage members at all?

IMO, yes.

bejjinks

Is there a minimum age on this forum? I understand that there are underage people and I'm fine with that but are we talking about eight year olds, five year olds, ?

Skycaptain

@bejjinks, the minimum age on AVEN is 13. Technically younger people can sign on after supplying parental consent, but the complexity of doing so means that we have no such people in our membership. 

Should we discover that a member is underage we immediately ban them 

Homer
1 hour ago, bejjinks said:

Is there a minimum age on this forum? I understand that there are underage people and I'm fine with that but are we talking about eight year olds, five year olds, ?

You have to be at least 13 years of age to have an account on here.