.Lia

Ask Admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)

.Lia

Hello, members!
The purpose of this thread is to have a space where members are able to ask Admods questions that they feel do not deserve their own thread. These questions can range from "how do I update my avatar?" to "why can't I see the election forum?" to "what's your favorite cake flavor?" to "what would happen if you put all Admods in the room with one computer and no cake?".

The Admods encourage constructive criticism. If there is something within the running of AVEN that you're unsure of, or think could be done better, we encourage you to point such things out and, if you can, suggest concrete ways to make the process better, run more smoothly, or similar. Any questions or comments that are made that are deemed to be not constructive, or made to take passive aggressive jabs at other situations or people, might be removed from view. Please keep discussion that is not regarding suggestions to a minimum. Some discussions may be split into new threads to remove clutter.

Please remember that all disciplinary action is private between the user(s) and the Admods, and therefore some questions may be met with a similar answer. If you have a question regarding your own warning or nudge, we encourage you to PM any Admod with your question - we'll be more than happy to help you.

The original "Ask admods a question (that might not deserve its own thread)" was started in 2012, and it no longer serves a purpose of helping new or curious users to find the answers to some of their questions that may have been previously asked. You can find the original here.

Happy asking!

Squirrel Combat

Hey! Is there any chance we could recafooble the system here so we can upload pictures and videos directly without having to use another social media platform?

It's really kind of a pain in the ass to have to upload photos through Facebook and then onto the AVENite photo thread here, you know?

Thank you for creating this. :)

.Lia

Hey! Is there any chance we could recafooble the system here so we can upload pictures and videos directly without having to use another social media platform?

It's really kind of a pain in the ass to have to upload photos through Facebook and then onto the AVENite photo thread here, you know?

Thank you for creating this. :)

Unfortunately not. That would use a TON of server space that we just don't have, nor can we afford :(

• Like 1

Sphene

I don't think our poor beleaguered server could handle hosting videos and photos unfortunately :P

• Like 5

Woodworker1968

What do mods and admins do if someone who's not a member of AVEN posts a bunch of off-site links in an attempt to encourage others to troll or spam AVEN?

.Lia

Non-members cannot post in the forums (or enter chat I believe) :)

Robin L

What do mods and admins do if someone who's not a member of AVEN posts a bunch of off-site links in an attempt to encourage others to troll or spam AVEN?

Do you mean people who post links on other sites asking them to troll AVEN? That would be pretty hard to police, wouldn't it?

• Like 1

.Lia

Do you mean people who post links on other sites asking them to troll AVEN? That would be pretty hard to police, wouldn't it?

If this is what you mean, then we can do nothing until they come to AVEN and break our Terms of Service.

• Like 1

Woodworker1968

What would happen if I open a store and put a sign in the window that says "no shirt? No shoes? No problem"?

• Like 1

.Lia

What would happen if I open a store and put a sign in the window that says "no shirt? No shoes? No problem"?

Nothing? There are stores who have such signs (here at least). You may draw the ire of women in the area, though.

cavyX

I'd still be wearing a shirt and shoes :P

• Like 2

.Lia

I'd still be wearing a shirt and shoes :P

This, too.

• Like 2

Cali_Guy

Why does aven not have a button to deactive an account? It would be much easier and faster than PM and admin..

As it might take hours for an admin to deactivate an account.The whole interaction is useless and pointless...

• Like 1

Sphene

Why does aven not have a button to deactive an account? It would be much easier and faster than PM and admin..

As it might take hours for an admin to deactivate an account.The whole interaction is useless and pointless...

The software does not allow this.

• Like 1

Næt.

You would have a store with a sign in the window that reads 'No Shirt? No Shoes? No Problem'.

• Like 2

Vestal

As it might take hours for an admin to deactivate an account. The whole interaction is useless and pointless...

We should be allowed to delete our accounts whenever we want to.

Deletion of accounts:

Except under extenuating circumstances, we will not be accepting requests for deletions. However, at the users request, we can suspend the account indefinitely. We can also strip the account of identifying information including emptying any fields in the profile section. To find more information about the deactivation policy, click here.

CosineTheCat

As it might take hours for an admin to deactivate an account. The whole interaction is useless and pointless...

Deletion of accounts:

Except under extenuating circumstances, we will not be accepting requests for deletions. However, at the users request, we can suspend the account indefinitely. We can also strip the account of identifying information including emptying any fields in the profile section. To find more information about the deactivation policy, click here.

One of the main reason that we don't delete accounts is because it causes the server to get messed up. If you've created a post, you've contributed to the server and to delete you, would mean to delete those posts. But some of these are topic OP's and Member's quotes, and comments in a thread. Among other things. To delete an once active member, it becomes bad to the software.

The admin are able to strip your account, you'd become Member XXXXX.

• Like 1

.Lia

Thank you for the opinion.

.Lia

Deletion of accounts:

One of the main reason that we don't delete accounts is because it causes the server to get messed up. If you've created a post, you've contributed to the server and to delete you, would mean to delete those posts. But some of these are topic OP's and Member's quotes, and comments in a thread. Among other things. To delete an once active member, it becomes bad to the software.

The admin are able to strip your account, you'd become Member XXXXX.

Deleting a user doesn't delete their posts. It puts them under something like GUEST_(member ID #)_(last used display name) with no clickable link and it's not searchable.

.Lia

Deactivated is not the same as deleted, just FYI.

Deleting accounts is not allowed for the reasons mentioned above.

Deactivating your own accounts is not something the software allows for at all.

ithaca

It also depends if a member WANTS their account to looks as "Member 736228346" or if they simply want ti deactivated in order not to access it. It all depends by what the member requests.

• Like 1

Kisa the Kit Kat

100 duck sized horses or one horse sized duck?

Mycroft is Yourcroft

One horse-sized duck. It could swim you over ponds and things

• Like 1

ThaHoward

Read the thread and you will find the answer. PM an another admin and say your cause. For what specifically happen, the admins need to look into it and will discuss it without the reported admin taking place.

• Like 1

.Lia

PMing an Admin is the 'official' way, as when you use the report button on a post that an Administrator made, they can see the report.

• Like 1

Tanwen

I wasn't sure whether these points would be considered disrupting an election so am posting here for safety. In the Declassifying Team Election thread, Cosine the Cat said

We in Admods at any given time have a lot of discussions going on, most of which never really make it to the board.

It's my understanding that there are (or should be) very few threads which cannot be declassified.

You will without a doubt at some point be asked a really random question through PM about something on the board. Let's say it’s something simple such as “Where do you think this thread should belong?” do you feel you know enough about the board to help?

How about if it’s something a little more difficult, such as “Member XXX did this to me in this thread”, How would you handle it?

Kisa the Cat said:

You will probably be dealing with some issues that are...ummm...outside of what you signed up for.

If you see something in chat, what would you do (keep in mind that you won't have mod shinies so that's not an option)

If you see something on the boards, what would you do

If a member sends a report to you, what would you do

Are you the type to declass a lot of smaller threads or work on one large one (I can tell you from experience that you can't do both without getting a headache)

It was also my understanding that the Declassifiying Team would not be taking part in discussions, that they would have access to admods only as far as it would be necessary to be able to move threads for redaction. Are they now to be another 'branch' of admods - sort of 'Mods without forum'?

• Like 1

ithaca

I wasn't sure whether these points would be considered disrupting an election so am posting here for safety. In the Declassifying Team Election thread, Cosine the Cat said

We in Admods at any given time have a lot of discussions going on, most of which never really make it to the board. [/size]

It's my understanding that there are (or should be) very few threads which cannot be declassified.

I think what Cosine meant is that many of the things we discuss in Admods are not brought to the forum WHEN DISCUSSED or after discussion because they are dismissed or changed completely to another idea, ergo they're not brought to members for discussion or with an announcement. Not that they would never be declassed. Different kinds of "bringing it to the board".

• Like 1