VZwolf

To Bi/Multilinguals... (Or Anyone, Really. Come in!)

thedemiace

I think in both, or talk in both. It depends my mood. Hahaha!

EquusMaxima

I think mostly in my life I speak English, which is my first language, but when I talk to some of my friends I use my (somewhat broken) spanish.

Yatagarasu

I predominantly think in Polish, but I also do think in English. I sometimes struggle with speaking, because my brain mixes those two languages. Oh, there's also Japan speak and I often talk to myself in Japanese even though it's not as advanced. I like to talk with people who know the languages I do, because then I can convey what I want with greater accuracy.

Eutierria

Curious...has any other bi/multi-lingual noticed personality change(s) depending upon which language(s) you are communicating in & the culture(s) that are associated with a specific language?  What is the terminology for this particular phenomenon? 

• Like 2

Homer
9 hours ago, Eutierria said:

Curious...has any other bi/multi-lingual noticed personality change(s) depending upon which language(s) you are communicating in & the culture(s) that are associated with a specific language?  What is the terminology for this particular phenomenon? 

I'm not sure what you mean by "changes in the culture(s) that are associated with a specific language".

However, there are only two languages I'm somewhat fluent in and it seems like that means that developing a different personality isn't "necessary", whereas when I use a language I'm not really fluent in, developing any kind of specfic personality isn't even an option.

Eutierria

@HomerAs in automatically switching use of language to be more submissive / assertive depending not just on context of environment but also within how you express yourself within the majority culture of where specific language is used.  Not sure that is any clearer...🤔😂

Yui-Drakon
On 6/20/2019 at 5:56 PM, Eutierria said:

I don't consider myself multilingual, I'm nothing more than a language lover, and not even a good one at that. But I do notice some personality changes depending on which language I am trying to communicate. I was supposed to know what it's called since I studied all of this in university, but I do not remember.

• Like 1

Iam9man
On 6/20/2019 at 9:56 PM, Eutierria said:

No idea as to the terminology but yes, definitely noticed this! Like when I switch languages (fully fluently) but don’t switch the way I approach interactions I get some very funny looks! The words may be perfect but the sentence makes literally no sense to the locals as it’s culturally so different. And I’m only using two European languages!

• Like 1

kiaroskuro
On 6/20/2019 at 10:56 PM, Eutierria said:

I don't know if there's a scientific term for this phenomenon, but I sure noticed those changes in my personality, too, when switching languages. I even experience those changes when I speak to people from different cultures in the same language, but maybe that's because I'm wired differently in general ...

• Like 1

lapat67

@kiaroskuro changing your personality to match the cultural background of the people you're talking to in the same language is called adaptive behaviour.

I think you could call changing your personality when you speak a different language adaptive behaviour as well, from the unconscious assumption or habit that the people you talk to in a certain language will tend to have the cultural background that is dominant for native speakers of that language.

• Like 1

kiaroskuro
19 hours ago, lapat67 said:

@kiaroskuro changing your personality to match the cultural background of the people you're talking to in the same language is called adaptive behaviour.

I think you could call changing your personality when you speak a different language adaptive behaviour as well, from the unconscious assumption or habit that the people you talk to in a certain language will tend to have the cultural background that is dominant for native speakers of that language.

Yes, I'm aware that both types of adapting one's behaviour are closely linked.

I personally don't like these changes in personality, because they make me feel as if I'm weak in character. But that's a different kettle of fish and it has nothing to do with the subject we're discussing here.