Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vestal

Regarding Moderator elections

Steph Ace

I am really sorry to see that my beloved Tanwen withdrew from the competition: http://www.apositive.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1161&start=500

As am I. Not pleased with many people (Not Tanwen) who contributed to Tanwen's choice.

Skycaptain

^not happy^

Vestal

You are, without doubt, one of the most DECENT, RESPECTABLE members of this forum.

"never..never in all my time at aven...have I seen so many of the team harrass, bully and try and ruin a members candidacy in an election."

Source: http://www.apositive.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1161&start=500

I posted this here: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/123726-new-moderator-needed-celebration-time-and-tea-and-sympathy-voting/page-2

And the REMOVED it.

Sir_The_Last

You are, without doubt, one of the most DECENT, RESPECTABLE members of this forum.

"never..never in all my time at aven...have I seen so many of the team harrass, bully and try and ruin a members candidacy in an election."

Source: http://www.apositive.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1161&start=500

I posted this here: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/123726-new-moderator-needed-celebration-time-and-tea-and-sympathy-voting/page-2

And the REMOVED it.

Welcome to earth? <_< *Snuggles a pillow*

@Mods/admin How is the manual of how mods should act coming?

Vestal

Welcome to earth? <_< *Snuggles a pillow*

@Mods/admin How is the manual of how mods should act coming?

One of the forum rules is: "Stalking, bullying or harassing of any kind will not be tolerated." I reported the users who stalked Tanwen.

Sir_The_Last

Does the whole admin/mod team look at reports? Or does a single admin see if said report is worth it?

Steph Ace

Does the whole admin/mod team look at reports? Or does a single admin see if said report is worth it?

If a report is made on a Moderator/ PT member, all 5 Admins review if there are grounds for the report. If there are grounds, the Moderator/ PT loses from Site Tools (Such as viewing the Admod Only Forum) but retains enough to manage their respective forums. A proper report thread is created and discussed with the entire team.

If a report is made on an Admin, the remaining 4 Admins review if there are grounds for the report. This follows the same process.

Most Admod/PT reports last 2-3 days, rarely extending beyond a week.

EDIT: I do not know the Admin review process in full, however I assume a majority vote must be reached. (3/5 for Moderator/PT and 3/4 for Admin)

EDIT 2: If its just a member, then the process is decided by the Moderator who manages the forum. If grounds are decided, a thread for the report is made. If not, it is filed and documented in a separate thread.

.Lia

Mods see all reports made in their forum(s). Admins see all reports, including reports made from the report button on a user's profile.

Sir_The_Last

I sent a pm to an Admin. DO all admins see the PM that I sent to said Admin?

Steph Ace

Depends on the circumstance with most PM's remaining confidential, however the Admin should notify you if it is being brought up in other locations. However this is by copy-paste. Only the recipient of your PM immediately receives the message.

EDIT: Lia specified below. If it applies to a report on an Admin/ Moderator it will be brought up.

.Lia

Depends on the circumstance with most PM's remaining confidential, however the Admin should notify you if it is being brought up in other locations. However this is by copy-paste. Only the recipient of your PM immediately receives the message.

This is wrong.

If you PM'd an Admin regarding a report on another Admod, that Admin will share it with all other Admins.

Kelly

If you PM'd an Admin regarding a report on another Admod, that Admin will share it with all other Admins.

True. There are two ways to report an admod. The first is using the report feature and the second is PMing an Admin and stating that you want to report an admod. If that is not clear, the Admin may ask if you want to report someone. If you reply with an affirmative, the admod would get reported and it will be shared with the other admins.

Skycaptain

Everyone. Just to prove that admods do look at reported posts, and act accordingly, look at my situation. I was a moderator, and a post I made was reported for breaching ToS. This was considered by the admods, voted upon, and I was found guilty of the charge. With the benefit of hindsight I agree with their collective decision. To all fellow AVENistes just follow my example as proof that being a moderator does not mean that you are above AVEN ToS, members elected into such positions of trust and integrity have to abide , and be seen to abide, by the same rules as every member of our community

Vestal

Back in 2013 "Doppel made a lot of nasty posts in the A/ro election attacking [Member1] and arguably causing them to drop out." As a result, a warn was sent. Here's the thread: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/85316-doppel-in-the-aro-election-moved-from-admods-only/

I hope they act in the same way with the users who stalked Tanwen.

Thank you, Ciri, for sending that enlightening link to me via Apositive: http://www.apositive.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1161&start=520

Nevyn

I'd just like to point out that it's the members who elect moderators. It doesn't matter how often someone leaves or comes back from that group as long as they are a member in good standing during an election then they have the right to run. Let the voting sort it out. It's the duty of the team to work with whoever gets elected.That kind of badgering of a candidate by a member of the team is complete bullshit and should not happen. I've stopped wondering why no-one wants to run anymore. Who wants to work with you after seeing crap like that?

ThaHoward

Just a random thought in my head, (and keep in mind, I do not say this because I am scheming for it to happen/want it to happen, and it got nothing to do with certain links and discussions in this thread) what would happen if the forum in some way made an unofficial petition to demod an admod? Would the thread get closed, left alone and/or actually been taken into consideration?

Vestal

That kind of badgering of a candidate by a member of the team is complete bullshit.

Who wants to work with you after seeing crap like that?

Totally agree!

Splatacus

Just a random thought in my head, (and keep in mind, I do not say this because I am scheming for it to happen/want it to happen, and it got nothing to do with certain links and discussions in this thread) what would happen if the forum in some way made an unofficial petition to demod an admod? Would the thread get closed, left alone and/or actually been taken into consideration?

Starting petitions like that could be interpreted as vigilante moderating, which isn't allowed and could lead to disciplinary action. If you, or anyone else, has an issue with an admod please either report them, or PM another member of the team.

Sir_The_Last

What if someone does not trust any of the current Admin/mods, how would one report an issue ?

Lady Girl

As has been mentioned, there are appropriate channels to use to report admods or members. The public boards are not the place for calling out members, whether they are on the team or not. Please keep the posts here specific to issues rather than about individual people.

Also, please keep in mind that if a post of yours has been removed from another thread, it is not okay to repost it elsewhere on the board. Thanks!

Lady Girl, Administrator

Nevyn

Fair enough. Let's talk about moderator and admod interference in elections then. This is not the first time that an election has gone downhill due to questions and discussions in an election thread by members of the team. Is it not a conflict of interest at this point to allow the team to influence elections in such ways? The interest the team has in elections are considerably higher than what the members have and the team are in positions of authority already.

Sir_The_Last

Fair enough. Let's talk about moderator and admod interference in elections then. This is not the first time that an election has gone downhill due to questions and discussions in an election thread by members of the team. Is it not a conflict of interest at this point to allow the team to influence elections in such ways? The interest the team has in elections are considerably higher than what the members have and the team are in positions of authority already.

I totally agree. Admin/Mods should stay out of elections for other mods.

Should Admin/Mods be able to talk about people running for mods. Talk about the past of said user and warnings and the sort?

If a mod does not like someone running for mod why not just vote for the other person and keep comments about said person to themselves.

Where would you draw the line between asking questions and interference?

Sir_The_Last

Saying that someone running for Mod has not worked well with the admin/mod team before one example..

Skycaptain

Also, consider that existing admods know what the position entails, therefore they ought to be in the best position to ask questions which enable candidates to demonstrate to potential voters why they are the best person for the position.

Where a fine line needs to be trodden is if a candidate has previously been a moderator. I can see why the incumbent team want the candidate (s) to show that they can develop a working relationship, but caution must be exercised to ensure that sensible questions don't appear to be a witch-hunt

Nevyn

Where would you draw the line between asking questions and interference?

When you start playing softball with the members the team likes and stop asking everyone running the same questions. If someone on the team has to specifically question one members track record then that's the line. It becomes a witch-hunt at that point.

Sir_The_Last

The bigger issue here is that the ToS does not include any rule about Mods and Admin asking questions of a person running for modship. In order to stop it from happening again the ToS needs to be changed. The ToS can only be changed by Admin/Mods I believe.. ?

Nevyn

Also, consider that existing admods know what the position entails, therefore they ought to be in the best position to ask questions which enable candidates to demonstrate to potential voters why they are the best person for the position.

Where a fine line needs to be trodden is if a candidate has previously been a moderator. I can see why the incumbent team want the candidate (s) to show that they can develop a working relationship, but caution must be exercised to ensure that sensible questions don't appear to be a witch-hunt

I have no issues with a candidates qualifications being asked about. That should be established with decent questions to both candidates. Singling a candidate out is something that should not happen. Especially not by a team member. If the authority that comes with their position is misused again and again this way then limits need imposed.

Lady Girl

I have no issues with a candidates qualifications being asked about. That should be established with decent questions to both candidates. Singling a candidate out is something that should not happen. Especially not by a team member. If the authority that comes with their position is misused again and again this way then limits need imposed.

But what if one of the candidates is publicly vocal about their disdain for admods (not just fair criticism, but actual statements that they have a low opinion of them) and the other candidate isn't? Should that issue not be addressed during the Q&A since it doesn't apply to both candidates?