What is a good in genderless username?

Jorden

I am trying to find a new username for another website I use. People are always assuming my gender because of my username having the word flowers inside of it that is normally associated with the female gender. It frustrates me that I'm feeling like I have to be forced into changing my username simply because people are labeling me, even though my profile itself doesn't Even have a gender listed.

It may sound a little ridiculous that I'm wanting to do this but when I'm having really down days and don't wish to have people assuming my gender it can cause me to go into deeper depression. So I guess I'm asking you guys for a little help on finding a username that won't give off the assumption of any gender. Or in other words a username that sounds genderless.

I want to list off some things I enjoy to help me/you come up with a username, I need some help I'm not very good at this. I've always liked the universe and stars anything to do with space. I also like the season of autumn and how everything always changes in color. My personality is often very curious and I'm considered a strong person by many of my friends. I would prefer a username having to do with the universe or something inside of it except I can't actually think of anything.

I use AveSatanas everywhere for this exact reason, but that doesn't help you at all, I recommend you take a look at particle physics, quarks and neutrinos are pretty damn genderless. Also reading some articles on the Hubble space telescope may help you come up with something nerdy and neutrois. I make up a lot of names because I write fiction and I wouldn't presume to make up one for a living person, but if you really like science there should be all kinds of things leaping to mind.

What about DopplerShift? Or EagleNebula or something spacey like that?

J. van Deijck

^ that one is nice :o

I can just tell you that when I haven't had any gender listed on my profiles elsewhere, people were automatically assuming I was a female, even despite the username :/ I could have super masculine things on my profile, but I was a "girl" and "she" anyway and nobody has obviously ever asked me if it was true.

So I guess username won't do much, the fault is in people :(

Mine is pretty genderless, online I just use words, but only cause I like that. My real name Christian, has been associated with male/females.

I can just tell you that when I haven't had any gender listed on my profiles elsewhere, people were automatically assuming I was a female, even despite the username :/

Assuming your username here is the same, to an (American-)English speaker it does have stereotypically "feminine" characteristics. Specifically, soft consonants and ending in an "a" will typically be associated with female names; something with more "hard" t,p,d,k,x - sounds in it ending with a consonant would sound more "masculine." Of course, it's silly to infer someone's sex or gender from their username; and these phonetics-based naming assumptions (for anything not on an "obvious" list of familiar names) are ridiculous. However, to avoid unintentional unwanted mis-gendering, the only sure way is to explicitly state your gender.

J. van Deijck

I can just tell you that when I haven't had any gender listed on my profiles elsewhere, people were automatically assuming I was a female, even despite the username :/

Assuming your username here is the same, to an (American-)English speaker it does have stereotypically "feminine" characteristics. Specifically, soft consonants and ending in an "a" will typically be associated with female names; something with more "hard" t,p,d,k,x - sounds in it ending with a consonant would sound more "masculine." Of course, it's silly to infer someone's sex or gender from their username; and these phonetics-based naming assumptions (for anything not on an "obvious" list of familiar names) are ridiculous. However, to avoid unintentional unwanted mis-gendering, the only sure way is to explicitly state your gender.

This is it >.> otherwise people would make mistakes a lot :x I usually do not make any judgements based on single letters, just by the whole words, but I prefer to get to know anyway to prevent from accidentally hurting someone. And I do agree with you in that, for example assuming I'm a female based on my username is silly, because Silveira is a Portuguese last name that doesn't say anything about gender :D I guess people's brains may do some things subconsciously and automatically, though.

I used to have a completely different username, but it was years ago and I don't even remember what it was :o

Plectrophenax

I actually wanted to suggest "Mercurio" since it relates to mercury - in this context the planet not the metal - and curiosity. But then I remembered that 'Mercurio' is an actual name, and a gendered one at that. This happens to me all the time.

If you want strict neutrality, latin is basically synoymous with it. Using words like "equinox" as was suggested or other words used for scientific descriptions and categorisations might be a good way to go.

And obviously I'm not biased at all.

Sadly I think a minority of people will assume gender no matter what. Maybe they play a game with themselves called ' guess the gender of this person from their name and avatar? "

J. van Deijck

Sadly I think a minority of people will assume gender no matter what. Maybe they play a game with themselves called ' guess the gender of this person from their name and avatar? "

This. :(

I enjoy learning new words about the things I enjoy, including astronomy. Maybe something on this website will jump out at you? :)

Archived