Introducing AVEN's new Declassification Team

Kelly

Dear Members,

After discussing the matter thoroughly and listening to member suggestions, The Admod Team would like to announce the creation of a new Declassification Team for AVEN.

The Declassification Team (which will be fondly known as the Declass Team or DT) will be given the responsibility of declassifying any eligible Admod Only threads over three months old and moving them to Declassified Threads. They will be given access to Admods Only so that the job is more self-contained as they will be able to find and move the threads themselves. The team members will be given orange names and the relevant buttons.

We understand that the backlog is a huge undertaking at this stage, and that even with a team it will take a lot of time to catch up with the more recent threads. As a result, once the team is up and running, we will be opening up requests for any threads over six-months to be given priority. This is not a guarantee of how quickly the declassification will go, as it is highly dependent on the team and there will be a learning period. However, effort will be made to honour requests when possible on a first come, first served basis.

To begin with, we will be looking to find four members who will be elected into the position by a vote of confidence. Each candidate will put forth their name, go through the four day Q&A, and then ballots will be cast. The vote of confidence means that each candidate will have these options after their name: "yes" "no" and "abstain". The four candidates with the most "yes" votes (and they must have more "yes" votes than "no" votes) will win the election. If there happens to be a tie, the candidate with the least "no" votes wins. If it is an ultimate tie, there will be a run off election. The same eligibility rules that apply to Moderator positions and Project Team positions will apply here.

We plan to run the team on a trial basis for six months and see how it goes. After those six months, if all goes well, we will be looking to recruit up to two more members also, as well as discussing any changes that may need to be made.

A more in-depth job description will be provided in the election announcement.

I definitely support the decision to create a declass team, and will even consider nominating myself for the team. Is there any time frame for when the declass team elections would be happening?

Since the declassification team seems like it'd be more work, I'd have wait a few months to figure out if I'd have the time for it, though it would be interesting. Can the mods and declass team interchange like the mods can between sections? If I were to be elected into mod and eventually wanted to join the declass team, could I change jobs like that if there was a spot open in the declass team?

All of which needs to be considered not only in these elections, but in future elections for myself.

You won't be able to shuffle from declass into a mod position just like you can't shuffle from PT to being a mod. You'd have to run in another election to switch.

I definitely support the decision to create a declass team, and will even consider nominating myself for the team. Is there any time frame for when the declass team elections would be happening?

The elections should start shortly after the current mod elections are finishe.

Am I to understand that the process of declassification rests in reading and moving threads or does it involve editing and/or reporting of specific links in cross-sections (or similar methods)?

Am I to understand that the process of declassification rests in reading and moving threads or does it involve editing and/or reporting of specific links in cross-sections (or similar methods)?

The latter. The threads (each post) must be read. Each user mentioned in the thread must be PM'd and asked if they want their name redacted or left in (there's a list of names who never want to be redacted, too). After a 48 hour (I think) wait, anyone who has not responded is redacted (except those who were an Admod at the time that the thread was being discussed). Links to Admods threads are redacted. PM conversations are redacted. IP and email addresses are redacted. All redacted information is logged in a central thread for future referral. The thread is then held to be proofread. After 24-48 hours (I think) the thread is then moved to the archives where members can read it. This is the general process.

Archived