Participants Requests for A Survey on Sexual Identity and the LGB Community.

Steph Ace

Hi there,

My name is Tamara Bejakovich and I am a student at Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand. I am currently studying toward a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, with a research focus on sexual identity and psychological well-being.

What is your sexual identity? How did you figure that out?

All individuals form a sexual identity. For some this is a relatively straightforward process while for others it can be quite challenging. I am interested in how people come to understand their own sexual identity and I would like to learn more about how a straight and a non-straight sexual identity is related to psychological factors, such as life satisfaction and happiness. My research revolves around this, and could use your help to spread the word.

What’s the purpose?

My research aims to investigate how sexual identity and its development influence an individual’s general psychological well-being, through the use of an online survey. It will look into a number of factors, such as heterosexism, positive identities and acceptance.

Who can participate?

In an interest of increasing the application of the research, I am interested in having participants from all walks of life and all sexual identities. The greater the diversity, the better!

What would I appreciate from you?

This email is to advertise the online survey to as many different individuals as possible. I would be very grateful if you would be able to pass on the survey to anyone who may participate, such as colleagues, students, friends and family.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on bejakovichresearch@gmail.com.

Additionally, I have included the web address for the survey, the Massey Survey page and the Facebook page, which will have access to the survey through a link on a Facebook status.

Web address (Survey): https://qasiasingleuser.asia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bDar6WLY95XJQzj

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Research-All-sexual-identities-and-well-being/822318664496627

Thank you so much for your time and support,

Tamara Bejakovich.

My supervisor is Associate Professor Ross Flett. He can be contacted at: R.A.Flett@massey.ac.nz

His Massey profile can be viewed at: http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/expertise/profile.cfm?stref=055130

This survey/ study has been approved for posting by the AVEN Project Team.

Steph

Project Team

Took the survey! Some of the questions seemed to assume I was Lesbian/ had same-sex attraction (probably because I didn't select the "straight" box?), so those question were a bit confusing to answer honestly, but I did my best, and I hope my responses are helpful in some way!

Ironic how they didn't have "Asexual" (other than "other" of course) on the sexual identity page :P And it was kinda.. awkward that all of the questions assumed I like -only- men - so I guess it wasn't really meant for me :lol:

^ I agree^. To many questions didn't have a null option. Basically though, treat it as a survey questioning tolerance and acceptance it was harmless enough

I found it very strange that thy assumed near the end that I am a lesbian... :blink: A lot of my responses there were "strongly disagree" because they didn't apply to me at all, but there was no "N/A" option.

The "highest level of achievement in education" question should have an "other" option.

And I've realized that "neutral/indefferent reaction" feels like the most positive reaction to me... because it means no one makes a big deal out of something that's not a big deal to me. But throughout the survey it seems as if this option somehow means "not accepting", but to me it's more "do whatever you like", which would be accepting, but not supportive. You can only get accepting and supportive compiled in one answer, which is a bit disappointing to me. So I guess my result looks worse than it actually is because of different interpretations...

And yes, when I told you I don't have same/opposite-sex relationships at all, there's nothing to keep private. "Doesn't apply" option is very much needed.

(Yes, I only did this to analyze the questions asked.)

I just sent an email to the provided address sugesting the "doens't apply" option. It doesn't make any sense that the survey automatically assumes a person is homosexual because they didn't select the "heterosexual" option, and that right after they asked whether we felt people usually assumed we were straight just on their own. Same old, same old u.u if you're not straight, then you must be gay. Ah...

I was going to fill this out, but if there is no explicit mention of asexuality i.e. assuming you are allosexual, I'll give it a miss. I would assume that if someone was designing a survey and advertising it on AVEN it would take into account asexuality. Thanks @Anyina for sending an email to the prof to point this out. I am sick of asexuality being ignored in academic circles. We deserve better.

In case anybody cares, I just got the answer to my email:

Thank you for taking the time to email me your feedback.

I am always trying to be inclusive and it is clear I have made an oversight here. This is why feedback is so important in research so once again I thank you.

In any future research I will endeavour to take on your suggestions when developing the research. In fact you have sparked an idea for a potential Avenue for future research.

Thank you again!

All the best,
Tamara

Plectrophenax

I'll give this a miss for the reasons already given [especially by Sisky], so as to not skewer the results due to my 'interpretation' of the questions.

Still, I'd like to express fullest support for surveys like this, and it's great to see that AVEN is supportive of them too. The response given to Anyina is promising and a clear sign that something was gained through this thread being posted here. Babysteps are steps forward too, after all ^_^

Archived