The Independent - Asexuality: when life isn't all about sex

asinglecookie

asinglecookie

Just wondering if anyone saw this article from The Independent today, all about asexuality.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/asexuality-when-life-isnt-all-about-sex-10371135.html

It actually quotes some stuff from the AVEN boards.

Thanks for posting!

I like how the author recognizes that the perspective of someone asexual is valid and illuminating to everyone:

Examining asexuality also can afford a clear view on how deeply infused sex is in our society—from the pervasiveness of sex in the media to our enduring interest in gossip on the sex lives of others. We also may begin to see more clearly the strange and often mad complexity of sex, with its jealousies, obsessions, and distortions of reality. Sex is unquestionably part of the great story of human life—our means of reproduction and a deep source of passion and pleasure for many—but it is also a strange and mad world at times, and one that is better understood if we take a glimpse or two from the outside.

Moving to World Watch Forum

Splatacus

Asexual Musings and Rantings Co-Moderator

asinglecookie

Moving to World Watch Forum

Splatacus

Asexual Musings and Rantings Co-Moderator

I posted it at 7:02 PM: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/122537-the-independent-asexuality-when-life-isnt-all-about-sex/ I guess these topics should be merged.

Probably! I originally posted it on 'Musings and Rantings', mainly because I wasn't sure which section it should go in... ...and I was musing about it quite a lot. I didn't know there was a world watch section. :)

Ive just been reading the Facebook comments for this article. On the whole people were every accepting. Obviously you get the odd idiotic comment (some quite incredible like "Asexuals are just people who were abused and so are unable to love" and "at least they are better than the disgusting gays" ) but I do think slowly people are coming round to asexuality being a 'thing'.

Member54880

I like how the author recognizes that the perspective of someone asexual is valid and illuminating to everyone:

Examining asexuality also can afford a clear view on how deeply infused sex is in our society—from the pervasiveness of sex in the media to our enduring interest in gossip on the sex lives of others. We also may begin to see more clearly the strange and often mad complexity of sex, with its jealousies, obsessions, and distortions of reality. Sex is unquestionably part of the great story of human life—our means of reproduction and a deep source of passion and pleasure for many—but it is also a strange and mad world at times, and one that is better understood if we take a glimpse or two from the outside.

I like that quote too, and one of the things I've appreciated about the asexual community is that its perspectives can teach others to not take the concepts of sex, romance, and love as they know them, for granted.

CosineTheCat

Gosh! I'm behind apparently! Merging into one post!

CosineTheCat

World Watch Moderator

I wasn't such a fan of some of the things the article stated, but I covered most of it in my comment under the article. I also didn't like how he said there are more asexual women than men, I strongly disagree with that. There is no way to know that, and waaaay too many variable factors to actually definitively say something like that.

Archived