CLOSED: A/Sexual orientation and preference toward sex

Confusion 0

Confusion 0

I have now closed the poll. I used terms incorrectly, which may have caused inaccurate results. If any mods or admins are reading this, please lock this thread. I'll create a new one with my new knowledge.

- Confusion 0

I have an indifferent to averse perspective on sex. On the rare occasion i use material for my libido, I'm actually sex-averse. Ocasionally I'll be indifferent if I'm for the couple in a show, but typically i wish i could fast forward through it, the same goes for IRL ppl talking about their sex life.

Hooded_Crow

Hi! I'm asexual and sex positive (only with my partner, otherwise I'm rather sex averse). And I'm fine with it :)

Hang on OP, I think you misunderstood the concept of sex positive (many people do here)

Sex positive just means you have a positive attitude toward sex, and are able to have it to please a partner without experiencing distress/repulsion (at least for some asexuals. I personally am very sex positive but still always found sex very distressing as I never 'wanted' it for myself, only ever to please my sexual ex. But some can give sex without experiencing distress if they are sex positive) etc.. Sex positive does not mean you desire partnered sex or have a preference for having partnered sex. An asexual can have a high libido and be extremely sex positive, that does not mean they have a preference for partnered sex or desire partnered sex.

Someone who desires partnered sex for sexual pleasure/release, or who has a prefernce for partnered sex over masturbation say, would fall under grey asexual or demisexual depending on the circumstances. An Asexual has no desire to have partnered sex for sexual pleasure/release, regardless of their actual opinion of sex.

(edit sorry about the typos, i think ive fixed them all. it's the first thing in the morning and my brain is still waking up)

andreas1033
  1. Asexual, sex-averse
  2. Asexual, sex-repulsed

Its either one of those two for me. I am 40 now, and maybe i am the 1st one today. But when i was young, i was abolustely disgusted by the thought of sex, and would go to some very weird lengths to make sure people did not like me, lol. Up until the age of 23, the most important years for males, i was repulsed by it, i went to very weird lengths like i said, to stay away from situations, but you cannot stop them all.

But like i said today i would think i am the first one. I would think since 23 i became averse to it, not repulsed by it.

Confusion 0

Hang on OP, I think you misunderstood the concept of sex positive (many people do here)

Sex positive just means you have a positive attitude toward sex, and are able to have it to please a partner without experiencing distress/repulsion (at least for some asexuals, I personally am very sex positive but still always found sex very distressing as I never 'wanted' it for myself, only ever to please my sexual ex. But some can give sex without experiencing distress if they are sex positive) etc.. it does not mean you desire sex ir have a preference for having sex. An asexual can have a high libido and be extremely ex positive, that does not mean they have a preference for partnered sex or desire partnered sex.

Someone who desires partnered sex for sexual pleasure/release, or who has a prefernce for partnered sex over masturbation say, would fall under grey asexual or demisexual depending on the circumstances. An Asexual has no desire to have partnered sex for sexual pleasure/release, regardless of their actual opinion of sex.

Thanks for the explanation :)

I still think there is a difference between sex-positive people and sex-indifferent people though. Sex-indifferent could just be seen as having no opinion whatsoever, in which case, it wouldn't be the same as being sex-positive.

And like I said, I'm new, and was just curious. This isn't like some 'official' poll or anything.

I still think there is a difference between sex-positive people and sex-indifferent people though. Sex-indifferent could just be seen as having no opinion whatsoever, in which case, it wouldn't be the same is being sex-positive.

And like I said, I'm new, and was just curious. This isn't like some 'official' poll or anything.

Oh no I understand that you're new and just looking for info etc, and welcome to AVEN while we are on that subject :cake: .

Yes there is a difference between sex-positive and sex-indifferent (sex-indifferent doesn't care about sex one way or another, sex positive has a very positive attitude toward sex, enjoys talking about it and giving advice about it etc) it's just that being sex-positive does not mean one has a preference toward partnered sex as the title of the thread implies, though that may just be the way it's worded, I understand you may not have meant it that way. It's just a very common misconception here on AVEN that sex positive means you desire sex or have a preference for partnered sex over masturbation, and I like to clear it up where possible.

Confusion 0

I still think there is a difference between sex-positive people and sex-indifferent people though. Sex-indifferent could just be seen as having no opinion whatsoever, in which case, it wouldn't be the same is being sex-positive.

Oh no I understand that you're new and just looking for info etc, and welcome to AVEN while we are on that subject :cake: .

Yes there is a difference between sex-positive and sex-indifferent (sex-indifferent doesn't care about sex one way or another) it's just that being sex-positive does not mean one has a preference toward partnered sex as the title of the thread implies, though that may just be the way it's worded, I understand you may not have meant it that way. It's just a very common misconception here on AVEN that sex positive means you desire sex or have a preference for partnered sex over masturbation, and I like to clear it up where possible.

Ok, I'll edit the OP to clear things up a bit. Thanks again :)

Hooded_Crow

To clarify, when I say I'm sex-positive with my partner, I mean that while I'm not actively desiring sex (asexual), if we are being sensual and we become aroused and we end up giving each other sexual pleasure, I'm happy with it :) even though I didn't desire it to begin with.

But indeed, as Pan said, no active desire for partnered sex. Just a reactive welcoming of it.

binary suns

Do you mean sex-favorable? as far as I know, that is the world for being interested in sexual encounters, whichever extent that means.

Sex-repulsed asexual, perfectly fine with it.

(And as Ficto already said... that doesn't stop me from being sex-positive. The term you probably meant is usually called sex-favorable on here.)

EDIT: Dangit, Teags was faster. :lol:

Given that I was a former sexual by certain definitions, I'd rather be ace.

Confusion 0

Do you mean sex-favorable? as far as I know, that is the world for being interested in sexual encounters, whichever extent that means.

I guess that's what I meant, but oh well, I can't exactly change it now. Any sex-favorable people can select sex-positive anyway.

Confusion 0

Actually, does anyone know if the poll will reset if I change the answers?

If it will reset, then I'll change some of the answers.

binary suns

I guess that's what I meant, but oh well, I can't exactly change it now. Any sex-favorable people can select sex-positive anyway.

if you edit the post, and edit the text only don't close any of the boxes, it'll still keep the count.

just use the full editor, and click the edit poll button on the right I believe

if you want to reset the polls, recreate the thread and ask the mods to close this one.

Hooded_Crow

Ah yes! Sex-favorable is the term! Thanks guys XD

WhenSummersGone

Sex-repulsed Demisexual although I'm neutral on sex in general. I think I'm fine the way I am.

WünderBâhr

Moved to the Census forum.

Bipolar Bear

Asexual Q&A Mod

This thread has been locked at the request of the OP. A new version of the poll has been created here.

Larien, Census moderator

• 1 year later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2015. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Snow Owl

SPF&A, Census & Site Comments Moderator

Archived