asexual ring / symbol

xena_trade_center

what do you think would be best?  

1. 1.

• brenya and izzys ring with 2 cricles that are not touching (see "how do we find each other")
    • AVEN symbol ring
    • another ring not mentioned
    • I just like the AVEN t-shirt
    • none of the above but something else
    • I don't want to be identifiable
    • I'm too cheap to buy a ring

xena_trade_center

I've been thinking that it would be great if we could identify asexuals by some sort of ring or something... if we had a ring that defined us as a group, i feel that it would also give us (as especially myself) a feeling of belonging... something that i can always look at where-ever i am, and feel that im not alone.

So I worked on a ring design today (I was bored)......

I came up with a great design. It incorporates the AVEN symbol, but is still destinctive. Wish i had a scanner :cry:

It's more or less a silver ring which is not a complete circle, and instead veers off to either side. with the asexual part of the triangle on one end of the incomplete ring and the sexual part of the ring on the other. It still makes a triangle this way, but its still seperate (hope you can visualize). the triangle is gold and raised compared to the rest of the ring.

Anyway, I dunno what you guys things so please answer the poll so i can get a grasp of how yous things about this :D

What about a pendant?

I always kinda wanted the AVEN symbol in silver, as a small pendant. Would be snazzy looking. Very sharp.

being "brenya" i like brenya and izzy's idea.....lol.

seriously.........the biggest problem i have with the AVEN symbol is that the triangle is, well a triangle.....the symbol of gays and lesbians. and while that is cool and all...........that is not what asexuality is.

plus it's an upside down triangle.......which to me (who is way to obsessive about symbolism) seem to infer some kind of inverted gayness...lol.

(am i being totally dumb and misthinking that the triangle is for lesbians AND gays or just lesbians? i can't remember :roll: )

i wish my brain could invision the afromentioned design, but it can't :?

I have to agree with Brenya. The upsidedown triangle seems too close to the gay triangle, while the rings kind of suggest the olympic games. I guess all the good geometric shapes are already taken. :)

Strange Little Girl

one ring to rule them all...

[weird eye thing]

god i love those books...

i like the idea of a ring... i can wear it on my middle finger, & show something off when i raise it at people. :twisted:

I have a more daring suggestion for the symbol: Why not an Ouroboros?

For those unfamiliar with the symbol, it is represented as a serpent/dragon/worm biting it's own tail; forming a perfect circle. It represents various concepts such as totality, perfection, and the life cycle.

Oh, and hi. My name is Frol and this is my first post. Please be gentle. ^^

I have a more daring suggestion for the symbol: Why not an Ouroboros?

For those unfamiliar with the symbol, it is represented as a serpent/dragon/worm biting it's own tail; forming a perfect circle. It represents various concepts such as totality, perfection, and the life cycle.

Why does that represent asexuality, though? Not that the ouroboros isn't snazzy in and of itself, but I'm just not seeing a good connection, here.

Oh, and hi. My name is Frol and this is my first post. Please be gentle. ^^

Well, okay. Since you asked nicely. ;)

xena_trade_center

ink - the only prob with a pendant is that i feel it might be a bit to "fem" for some guys out there :? ???

Brenya - I had thought about that too.... (the triangle being too gay) and in the end i did find that a trinagle was a bit gay... but the way i desinged the ring made it seem less "just a triangle" as it more encompassed the whole ring as a part or the symbol. the triangle also symbolises: gypsy criminals, thor, AA, trinity, etc...

where as a circle can sybolise - athesits, witchcraft, life, serpent, feminist, fire

either way.....

But i must say the two circles ring was also really good (i drew a lot of different rings with different concepts).... and another good one i thought, was one that looked like a reef (like what ceasar wore... but... on his head)

We could always re-name the triangle-like symbol we have...... so its not just a triangle but our own symbol...

A NEWWWBIE!!!!! :D :D :D

(tackle-glomps Frol) *WHAM*

Hi ^^

@~|| Katherine, who may have been permanantly corrupted by a certain Strange Little Girl ||~@

Yeah, the triangle was just something I cooked up a while back, though it doesn't really work as a symbol anymore (if you look at the AVEN sympol article under information on asexuality it's derivation is mostly, ya know, wrong. There isn't a gender binary with just male and female, and asexuals don't "go to the center," we can experience gendered attraction.) I actually LIKE the reference to the GLBT pink triangle. Between the color and the pattern it's clearly a different thing, and I see asexuality as related to GLBT/queer issues (we're all sexualities.) I'm all for changing the symbol if people feel like they have a better suggestion. Mostly it just has to be:

Simple

Origional

Easily recognisable

Have some vague metaphorial link to asexuality

I think of the triangle as the AVEN symbol (not "the asexual symbol.") Which is why I've sorta had it up there without much community discussion. I'm not particularely attached to it though, and we could definitely replace it (if so we should do so soon, so we can have the right symbol for the discovery channel show.) The two circles are ok, but they're less recognizable (circles are next to each other ALOT) and they can be be construed as saying something about gender-nuetrality, which is confusing.

Well....heck....if it's anything but that inward male/female one....the one that is purple, green and blue...SURE.

Yeah, I like the Aven triangle thing....sounds good. Ring, pendant, whatever, you know. But It's simple....and not silly.

I would only have one idea to add though....It's a combo of the AVEN symbol and...anyway...how bout a capital "A" but with the hole in the A colored in? wait...hold on...

thingy.jpg

1st and 2nd are basically the letter A...(for asexual) with the first bit colored in.

the second 2 spell "asexual" using the tengwar....or for those who don't know what that is...."elvish writing" The first one is printed elvish...the second is elvish cursive.

a big thanks go out to strange little girl for that idea.

hehehe...ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL!

and either one could work easily for those who are both openly asexual or in the closet asexual. I could say that A stood for something I like...or that I like LOTR...of course this all applies just to me though i guess....oh well...i'm ussually not that much of an arrogant bastard! :wink: oh well, just my 2 cents worth.

hey, frol. welcome to aven. :D

anyway, i was trying to find some symbols that could represent asexuality a few weeks ago... couldn't, though... you guys try to...

www.symbols.com

Why does that represent asexuality, though? Not that the ouroboros isn't snazzy in and of itself, but I'm just not seeing a good connection, here.

Well, the whole part about the snake eating itself implies that we sort of complete ourselves by being indifferent to other people's sexuality. Closed ring = closed off to sex. At least that's how I see it. :)

Err...is there some underlying autoerotic symbolism here? ^^;

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! ^__^

Some sort of ring or pendant would be interesting, I think I'd consider it. But, as weird as I think the whole elvish thing is, I like the way it looks for asexual too. :idea: Interesting.

Xena_Trade_Center, gotta say, love the pic! :D

Cate Perfect

I like the idea of the snake consuming itself, as a means of showing being whole on on your own. Much in the way that gay and lesbian symbols can be two interlinking male or female signs, we should have a symbol that showed completeness (if that's a word) all on our own.

Cate

xena_trade_center

thanks for the link Aury... i had a look and it helped me to think of some new ideas...

how about a circle with lines comeing out of it (the way you would draw a quick sketch of the sun)? it could be like Asexuality was the circle and the lines were all the different branchs of sexuality that accociates with us (ie lesbian-asexual)..?? this is also a symbol that is claimed by no-one.

Or a circle with a slice of it a different colour... sorta like where a part of a whole or something...

although i like the snake idea.. its far to common already (i have a ring like it in my jewellery box already).

glad u like my pic xendara :D

xena_trade_center

some other symbols which i thought were of interest:

this symbol means "shame on anyone who thinks evil of this" and "an independant movement"

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/54/5453.html

this symbol: renouncing of sexual pleasures and acitivities in , and it eventually became a sign to denote purity, virginity and continence. (i know we've descussed that a lot of us aren't virgins, but where just talking basis ideas here)

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/44/4411.html

I'll keep looking....

Strange Little Girl

oO

hee. oogie [tackle-glomp]ed someone!!

SCORE!!

Leigh: 1

Rest of the World: ZERO!

I say we all carry elaboratly decorated Rapiers, Sabers, Broadswords, and other swords! :wink:

VivreEstEsperer

I like the AVEN symbol as a symbol of asexuality. I think it's perfect.

I like having similarities with the queer community - and btw yes that symbol is for both gays and lesbians. at least that way people might know that the symbol has something to do with asexuality, and it's an easy explanation. you've got hetero, bi and homo and us on the other side,opposite of all that, i think it's perfect. and very easy to draw and reproduce!

I think a snake eating itself could be very easily misinterpreted as some kind of weird sexual fantasy. it seems more appropriate for some fetish community than for us.

I would love to have a necklace with the aven/asexuality symbol on it! That's the only piece of jewerly that I would wear. I used to wear a pride necklace almost every day when I believed I was gay. Usually I don't wear jewerly of any kind though.

Kate

Yeah....I personally Like that one the best. I don't think we should identify with homosexuals or bisexuals....with the enitre triangle thing.

I don't think we should Identify with anybodys symbol....we have our own.

So, I like the idea of the upside down A.

Cause that is the only thing that seperates us from "sexual"

i am kinda diggin the whole "A" concept in some manner.....like it being upside down (so it doesn't really look like an A and people will think that is just your damn initial or something)

how about an upside down A with a circle in the middle .....yes i am still obsessed with the circle. i feel really strong about the "sex" symbols for male and females being stripped of their "sexual parts" so that they are known as people and not sex things. i want to see people as people not as men or women.

boy was that a screwed up post or what..........hope you guys know what i meant :roll:

Um...I hate to keep bringing up problems, but wouldn't an "A" symbol be kinda 'scarlet letter-ish', to coin a phrase? I don't know how well known the Hawthorne book is, though I think it was made into a movie a few years back.

but i think if i was upside down it would be OK.....in fact, maybe it would be even MORE prolific after what you just brought up :D

Hehehe! It just may be, at that. Could be the start of a trend. I sense a marketing opportunity! :lol:

Archived