Wiki Team - Call To Action

littlepersonparadox

littlepersonparadox

The AVEN Wiki is really old, outdated and requires a significant overhaul to shine as one of the leading resource for Asexual information and knowledge. Having been used over 500,000 times, the Wiki has served as an informative resource for AVENites and the general public alike.

It is our goal to transform the Wiki into a sturdy, reliable, trusted and exceptional resource that covers a variety of subjects related to asexuality such as the spectrum, gender, sexual behaviour, relationships and more!

As the Wiki Coordinator, I am unable to achieve such a goal alone. I am one person with limited experiences and knowledge. Therefore I would like to invite everyone to join the Team in an effort to improve the Wiki and spread of Asexual Visibility.

There will be two teams that work together to create the best possible content on the Wiki.

Role A: Researchers

Group Supervisor: Steph

The researchers will have the primary task of locating information to supply the writers with. Researchers will be interacting with raw information

Primary Tasks:

• Locate information and place facts into a google document

• Seek out information on a potential topic

• Research on information based on feedback from the Editors.

Requirements: Researchers are asked to have access to Academic Databases (Usually provided by Colleges and Universities)

Role B: Writers
Group Supervisor: LittlePersonParadox

The writer's primary task is taking the information from the researchers and writing it in an easily accessible way on the Wiki. Writers are also tasks with being creative, thinking about potential Wiki pages and provide direction to the researchers to investigate.

Primary Tasks:

• Consider additional pages that could be created

• Organize the information given by the researchers

• Write the pages on the Wiki

If you are interested in supporting Asexual Visibility Efforts by improving the AVEN Wiki, please feel free to post in this thread your support and which role you would like to take. Both roles are not restricted (as a researcher may write a wiki page, or a writer doing their own research) but are focused to be more efficient.

If you are not comfortable with posting here in the thread, feel free to contact either myself, LittlePersonParadox, or Steph and we would be more than happy to add you!

We have a lot of work to do! Lets get started and do some visibility! A big thank you to everyone for considering, and a bigger thank you to anyone volunteering!

• Like 6

This is a wonderful idea! : )) Will this be an ongoing thing? Or have some sort of timeline? (I am considering being one of the Writers! It'd be a lot of fun to help.)

• Like 2

Hmm... I'm interested in the writing part.

How long will this project go on? I'm not sure if I can do it right now, I don't want to overload myself since I'm also participating in the project in World Watch. Yet I would be happy to help in the future. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

• Like 2

Will this be an ongoing thing? Or have some sort of timeline? (I am considering being one of the Writers! It'd be a lot of fun to help.)

How long will this project go on? I'm not sure if I can do it right now, I don't want to overload myself since I'm also participating in the project in World Watch. Yet I would be happy to help in the future. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

It will be an ongoing project, we're just going to work hard at the beginning until it gets to a quality we're comfortable with. Once we're at that point, the process would become refining and adding new information (A new term, a new research, etc)

We'll also be tackling the project in parts with a topic spotlight each month. Beginning August 1st we'll be selecting a different topic surrounding asexuality/ LGBT. We are currently thinking about Gender (As Heart has been fantastic with their ideas for this team) first and will have a thread spotlight (pinned thread) in the Gender forums about the Wiki for that month. This spotlight will change monthly but will bring attention to where our focus is and invite people to write if they are motivated about a topic they enjoy!

Some ideas for spotlights we've had (But haven't gotten the Moderators permission to pin a thread for the month) are:

- Gender Discussion

- The Grey Area (Sexuality)

- Asexual Musings and Rantings/ Asexual Q&A (Asexuality Discussion)

- Sexual Partners, Friends and Allies (LGBT+)

- Intersectionality (Asexuality and different groups)

- Romantic And Aromantic Orientations (Romantic discussions)

Basically a spotlight for each area of the forum that relates to Asexuality specifically (JFF, Oldies, Hotbox, Off-A are categories that we don't think will require a spotlight for an Asexual Wiki). Its a short list at the moment but we'll definitely get more people to write about what inspires them :)

• Like 4
Sennkestra

Heya! I'm mostly just interested in my own pet page revisions right now, but if anyone ever needs help with wiki markup language, or wants someone to look over a new page, or needs help finding some obscure piece of information, feel free to hit me up!

• Like 2

I can help out as a writer now and if things turn out the way I hope they will, I might be able to help with the researcher part later this year (*makes note to self to poke people irl tomorrow*).

I'm flexible with A or B. I do have access to an extensive University database from The University of Michigan, which may be useful as U of M is also a very well known health system in Michigan.

• Like 2
binary suns

My immediate impression is that the people who you choose to add to the team, would then be PT members? I could see it being done either way.

if it is indeed PT members, will they be hand-picked, or voted for?

• Like 1

My immediate impression is that the people who you choose to add to the team, would then be PT members? I could see it being done either way.

You don't need to be a PT member (The Pink AVEN ones) to work on the Wikipedia. We will be creating/ approving accounts for everyone that applies!

Aside from asking people who want to help as researchers (roleA) to have access to academic databases there are no requirements to join the Wiki Team :) Anyone that wishes to participate is free to!

• Like 2

I take care of the tech aspects of the wiki, so if you have any problems with using/editing the wiki, feel free to ask me.

• Like 2

The wiki team is actually a separate group from the PT (though the wiki team is under the supervision of the PT). So volunteers would be part of the wiki team, not the PT. The wiki team is basically just everyone who helps out with the wiki; there's no qualifying interview or anything, you just need to volunteer your time and effort.

• Like 2
RoseGoesToYale

I'd be interested role A. I'm currently attending college (University of South Florida) and have access to a huge library, which also has a nice newspaper and magazine archive. The only downside is that the 5th floor is closed until fall term begins, so if there's anything of use up there, I'd have to wait until late August to get at it.

• Like 1

I'm not really in a position to help out at the moment, but depending on how long the project goes on for, I might be interested in joining the writing team in a few months when I'll have more free time. :)

• Like 2

I can't help at the moment, but maybe once I've cleared some stuff off my plate I could write.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
DannyFenton123

I'd love to help, however if there is an age restriction I most likely fall under it. I am very busy right now (I may have time this weekend but I have big tests next week) but I am very happy to contribute and be a writer! :D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd love to be a researcher.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
God of the Forest

We definitely need some updates to the wiki

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
All the little Lights

I would like to read trough the wiki, correct mistakes and such things. Is that possible, like a group C? Can you choose how much you do, based on how much time you have, or does everyone do the same amount of work?

• Like 1

I would like to read trough the wiki, correct mistakes and such things. Is that possible, like a group C? Can you choose how much you do, based on how much time you have, or does everyone do the same amount of work?

You can create an account and edit the wiki without officially joining any group :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

~ Looking to help out.

~ Will do anything.

~ Research, proofing, editing & writing experience BUT no access to non-public resource items, just yet.

~ Thot - is there someone(s) who; checks wikipage daily for trolling & related assaults / tacks into appropriate section any current developments even if lifted directly from AVEN pages or press release (thinking of British Census item) / runs a dead or sick link checker against reference list / ummm... stuff ?

~ What about a list of prominent people who identified, implicitly OR explicitly as asuxual ? Temple Grandin comes to mind, but SURELY there are more

~ CAVEAT! i am in process of m.o.v.e. and will be outta touch for next 7-13 days BUT new place has gaggle optical fibre, so there's that

CAKE!

db7

• Like 1

~ Looking to help out.

~ Will do anything.

~ Research, proofing, editing & writing experience BUT no access to non-public resource items, just yet.

~ Thot - is there someone(s) who; checks wikipage daily for trolling & related assaults / tacks into appropriate section any current developments even if lifted directly from AVEN pages or press release (thinking of British Census item) / runs a dead or sick link checker against reference list / ummm... stuff ?

~ What about a list of prominent people who identified, implicitly OR explicitly as asuxual ? Temple Grandin comes to mind, but SURELY there are more

~ CAVEAT! i am in process of m.o.v.e. and will be outta touch for next 7-13 days BUT new place has gaggle optical fibre, so there's that

CAKE!

db7

• Like 1