Can anybody explain the Demisexual Pride Flag?

javaPhysician

javaPhysician

So, the Demisexual Pride Flag basically uses the colors of the Ace Flag in a different arrangement...

11223699.jpg

This confuses me as I thought the gray stripe in the Ace Flag represented Gray-Asexuals (which Demis are a part of), so why do we have our own anyways? Also, any clarification on the meaning behind the triangle and stripes?

Gallantrv2427

I think it's about proportions, compared to the regular ace community flag.

That asexual guy

So, the Demisexual Pride Flag basically uses the colors of the Ace Flag in a different arrangement...

11223699.jpg

This confuses me as I thought the gray stripe in the Ace Flag represented Gray-Asexuals (which Demis are a part of), so why do we have our own anyways? Also, any clarification on the meaning behind the triangle and stripes?

Agreed. Why the need for another flag when the asexual flag is all inclusive?

I think it's prettier. The triangle makes the flag more dynamic than plain stripes. BUT, I don't know why it exists.

javaPhysician

This intrigues me that many people seem to identify with a symbol whose meaning and reason for being is practically unknown!

But I do agree with all points, especially about its unique aesthetic! ^_^

DoxIxHAVExTo

I'm taking a complete swing in the dark, but here's my interpretation:

Maybe the black triangle is the sort of starting point, where you're comfortable with your sexuality. It sort of reminds me of an "anchor" of where you know where you stand. We're demi, meaning that we don't feel any sexual attraction unless we have a strong connection with that person, and I think the purple stripe the black triangle is "pointing" to is supposed to outline those specific people from the "crowd" of other random people you don't know and/or don't have a strong/romantic relationship with. Why that specific strip is purple? I'd like to guess it's purple to represent the different kinds of romantic orientation that someone can have for someone (hetero, homo, bi, pan, etc, etc) or maybe the different situations in how you've created that close emotional bond.

I notice that on one side of the purple strip it's completely white and the other is a light grey. Maybe that's supposed to represent the bit of grey area demi's have? Like maybe there was a stranger who walked by you and despite not having any romantic feelings for them you felt some form of an attraction towards them and just sat there like "wut" from it (or maybe that's just me :P). Or maybe you didn't specifically have a romantic relationship with the person (like a close friend) but still had a very strong connection with them which led to those feelings. I don't know, I know it definitely varies from person to person, concerning what the "grey area" means to them and their relationship with said area.

I could be completely off for all I know, but that's my guess c:

PS: Edited for spelling, grammar and to articulate some points a bit better.

javaPhysician

I'm taking a complete swing in the dark, but here's my interpretation:

Maybe the black triangle is the sort of starting point, where you're comfortable with your sexuality. It sort of reminds me of an "anchor" of where you know where you stand. We're demi, meaning that we don't feel any sexual attraction unless we have a strong connection with that person, and I think the purple stripe the black triangle is "pointing" to is supposed to outline those specific people from the "crowd" of other random people you don't know and/or don't have a strong/romantic relationship with. Why that specific strip is purple? I'd like to guess it's purple to represent the different kinds of romantic orientation that someone can have for someone (hetero, homo, bi, pan, etc, etc) or maybe the different situations in how you've created that close emotional bond.

I notice that on one side of the purple strip it's completely white and the other is a light grey. Maybe that's supposed to represent the bit of grey area demi's have? Like maybe there was a stranger who walked by you and despite not having any romantic feelings for them you felt some form of an attraction towards them and just sat there like "wut" from it (or maybe that's just me :P). Or maybe you didn't specifically have a romantic relationship with the person (like a close friend) but still had a very strong connection with them which led to those feelings. I don't know, I know it definitely varies from person to person, concerning what the "grey area" means to them and their relationship with said area.

I could be completely off for all I know, but that's my guess c:

PS: Edited for spelling, grammar and to articulate some points a bit better.

That's a possible interpretation! ^_^

Archived