Any 80s Kids Here?

MoxieMinmo

I was born in 85. I agree with everyone who thinks we had the best cartoons. :D I used to love my little pony, captain planet, lady lovely locks etc. I also loved playing with my little ponies and barbie dolls. I still have most of my childhood dolls because I collect Barbie/other fashion dolls. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
UncommonNonsense

I was born in 1976. I loved the 80's. It really was an awesome time to be growing up. We had cartoons that were pretty damn cool and didn't all have to be educational or have some strident moral to impart the way most kids shows now are. We were expected to play outside and our parents weren't petrified about us being out of their sight for 30 seconds.

Nostalgia trippin'

I have lots of fond memories of the video games, movies and music of the 80s.

Battle of the Planets. New Romantics, Grange Hill :wub:

andreas1033

Born in 1975.

I only ever watch stuff from before 2001-2002, so i watch alot of stuff in that era, ie 80's.

When i watch films from all ages, the best time for hollywood was the 70's, and 80's.

Star wars will always be most fav movie series of all time, i mean the original trilogy.

We were really the last generation of kids that had somewhat normal human lifes. Being a kid in 80's in nato country was the last time being a kid was real, and what kids normally grew up with.

Life will always be for ever changed, and there is no going back.

We were really the last generation of kids that had somewhat normal human lifes. Being a kid in 80's in nato country was the last time being a kid was real, and what kids normally grew up with.

I'm afraid I have to agree ... somewhat. Luckily, there are exceptions to the rule. Not every child is glued to the screen nowadays.

weedhopper1994

1971 my year of birth....not that far off....and yes I am considered the 80's generation.

TV and Movie: Mork and Mindy show, and Star War the 1st three...

Cartoons: Scooby Doo, Smarfs

Presidents I lived through: Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama

Games: Atari and Nintendo (64?)

Pasting the time: Mall hanging, under 21 dance places, pen pals, footballs were = to todays IM's

Collections: Coins and foreign coins, stuffed animals

Wallpaper meant (ugly) wallpaper, bunny ear antennas, TV networks stopped broadcasting between 12am to 2am, Pop/soda was made with SUGAR.

I was born in 1985; however, I grew up feeling fairly disconnected from and uninterested in the popular culture context. The cartoons, games, music, styles, movies of the era were more background noise than the seeds for future nostalgia. I do remember the computers, having the good luck to grow up in a household that was an early adopter of new technologies several years before having a "home computer" (besides a video game console) became commonplace. I remember Hypercard on a Mac IIsi; having a Syquest cartridge bigger than my hard drive; what an insanely large number of floppies could fit on one CD; Cosmic Osmo; "secret about box" easter-egg; MECC games on school Apple II's.

Anyone born between '75-'85 want to wax nostalgic? We had all the best! Star Wars, Saturday morning cartoons, the best toy lines fashion...well, maybe not fashion. But really, I'm looking to make some acquaintances that remember all that good stuff. Do any of you still have anything from your childhood? What are your fave 80s movies/toys/shows? What do you miss the most? Tell me things!

In under the wire at '85.

Thundercats, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and Transformers are all near and dear to my heart, though as a latecomer, my true childhood allegiance belonged to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Born in 1981 and to this day quite confused as to which generation I am supposed to pledge allegiance. Too young to be Gen-X (or so my older sister, who is definitely in the demographic, told me back when the cool thing to be was "Gen-X" :) ) and too old to be a Millennial. Is there even a name for us inbetweeners? All I know is that the moment the Spice Girls gained popularity, I knew I was no longer the core demographic for pop culture and it is has only gotten worse since then. (FFS with this Jem movie! What's next? He-Man where the title character is just "Adam Prince's" character in some MMO?)

The 80's into early 90's really was a wonderful time to grow up because EVERYONE was dressing like a child in bright day glow colors, plastic clip-on jewelry, and makeup/spray color for your hair any color of the rainbow you could imagine and then some. I am lucky in that, where I live, they have a yearly adult big-wheel race around the city. Now, if someone would just start manufacturing adult-sized Sit n' Spins, I could save a lot of time and money by getting all dizzy and giggly at home instead of the local bars. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Pizza Seawitch

The baggy sweaters were my favorite. One of my favorite, lounging at home, comfy things to wear. Reminds me of Demi from "About Last Night"

Oh but yeah I barely made it into the 80's. I was in them for 6 months and a handful of days.

People born between 1962-1972 these were are Jr high and high school years

I MISS the 80's soooooooooooo much(cable TV and the internet was starting to be born, Hip hop culture,rap and pop music music, ), i call 1980-1995 the last of the innocents.

The 80's were the best, none of the distractions of today. The best of the 80's for me was the music and the cartoons.

^^ agrees, but add the films, the TV, the cars

• 1 month later...

Speak n Spell (I think about this whenever my 4 year old nephew plays with his ipad.. we have come a long way!)

Pound Puppies!! I also liked Care Bears, Rainbow Bright, He-Man and She-Ra.. Popples! I forgot all about those.

Commodore 64!!!! (My parents gave away my commodore in the 90s after it had sat in the basement for a few years.. I was so upset, I went out and found another one. I also bought a Vic 20 and a tape drive, even though I didn't have any tapes for it. Then I put them back in the box in the basement. Although I used the monitor as my tv for many years)

I remember the rivalry between C64 people and Apple IIE people. Or maybe that was just in my little group of friends?

The Last Unicorn was one of my favorite movies. So was Neverending Story!

Friday Night Videos! I can't remember what channel they were on. My dad recorded some in 1983, and I watched this tape so many times that I actually wore out parts of it.

Bonkers candy! (Does anyone remember the commercials where giant pieces of fruit would fall on people?)

"I've fallen, and I can't get up!"

Teddy Ruxpin (I didn't have one, but I really wanted one)

Ahhh, there are so many things! I have to get back to work now, though. Sigh!

Two more memories:

The Get Along Gang, and the A-Team!!

I was '88, but still saw a lot which was from before that time. Love the '80s and nostalgia in general. ^_^

MentalLiberation

My mom kept my pound puppy in such good shape that I was able to pass it down to my kids! Same with the cabbage patch dolls, though my kids weren't as interested in them as I was.

I was born in 1980 so I have some nostalgia about the 80s. I had a traumatic experience in 1987, though, and I buried most of my memories from before that. So, my nostalgia is very general and not specific. I get much more nostalgic about the 90s, which were my teenage years.

• 3 weeks later...

Born in 88, but I'm a 90's kid (even if I don't remember much of anything before my 21st birthday). Captain Planet was the cartoon for me. I love it so much that when I was 19 I got him tattooed on my armpit.

I also remember these American flag cut off shorts my grandma would wear but grew out of them and forced me to wear in the second grade. Those were a nightmare... and the fringe... good god.

• 3 weeks later...

What a fun topic! I was born in 1986 . I grew up with the amazing Saturday morning cartoons -- Looney Tunes were my favorites. I also watched a lot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Captain Planet! I can still sing the theme song. :lol:

I love 80s music to this day. I grew up playing with Pound Puppies and Cabbage Patch Dolls. Fun times. ^_^

I am :)

But in the USSR in the 80-th everything were different than in the Western world. It was another culture. I actually remember some stuff you describe, but it was in 90-th here.

The best thing I remember from 80-th were May Day and Great October Day parades :) The 90-th were an absolutely different thing, than 80-th. Like another planet.

I was born in 1985 but I have so many memories of 1988 and 1989, so many great TV broadcasts and music :) I was crazy about science-fiction already ! I absolutely LOVED Knight Rider. And V. I still do. It's my culture.

Did anybody else idolize Mr.T? :P

^^ don't know about that, but Bo and Luke Duke taught me how to drive

^^ don't know about that, but Bo and Luke Duke taught me how to drive

Got you beat! Michael Knight taught me! XD

^^ *giggles *

Can't get the damn theme song out of my head...

Archived