How common is the black ring?

I'd like to wear a black ring. I have thought about getting an Ace tattoo but since I don't fit the definition of fully Ace (I'm panromantic/demi) I don't know if I should. I guess I don't want to signal something that I don't fit to a tee in that permanent a way (I have lots of tattoos but I wouldn't want one that turned out to misrepresent me.) The black ring would be an obvious addition because on a daily basis I don't wear rings; I own them but somehow they never make it into the Final Lewk, such as it is. Now I'm thinking of tattoos based on Pan/Demi and I don't think a skillet with Demi Moore's face in it would be right, either. Hmmm... ;)

CirothUngol

I have a Black Ring with a Grey Celtic braid inlay. My wife bought it for me.

I wear it on the 3rd finger of my left hand... 'cause it's my Wedding Ring. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine and fellow ace wears one, I don’t think it’s a well known symbol yet though. For some people it might be more for them, for me personally I haven’t gotten one but it would be more of me having enough strength and confidence to talk about it and start an important conversation about asexuality. Even if nobody understands it, it’s easy enough to explain and I think eventually it could be a well known symbol. 

• Like 2

I have one but I haven't met any other aces who wear it (I haven't met any aces in real life to be fair...) but I don't think it's all that common. It does seem to be growing in popularity from what I've heard/ read on the internet.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I wear one. There's a few other people at my school who wear one, and most of the kids at my school are aware of what the ring symbolizes.

I think It may be getting more popular with my generation, that or in general 

• Like 4

I just don't like to wear anything that obstructs my hands.  Rings of any kind tend to get in the way of the fine dexterity that I need for drawing.

Celyn: The Lutening
On 7/11/2018 at 7:42 AM, SSB said:

I wear one. There's a few other people at my school who wear one, and most of the kids at my school are aware of what the ring symbolizes.

I think It may be getting more popular with my generation, that or in general 

That's really awesome to hear!

I have a story! I've never noticed a black ring in person before, but today I did in the supermarket....on the little finger of the left hand. So a swinger (most likely). We looked at each others' hands. She did a double take when she realised what finger it was on, and so did I. We made eye contact, acknowledging that we'd noticed each others' rings and what they meant. We parted ways without speaking. It was awkward. But cool too.

• Like 5

I wear one!   Just painted a ring I already had with black nail polish!

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Celyn said:

That's really awesome to hear!

I have a story! I've never noticed a black ring in person before, but today I did in the supermarket....on the little finger of the left hand. So a swinger (most likely). We looked at each others' hands. She did a double take when she realised what finger it was on, and so did I. We made eye contact, acknowledging that we'd noticed each others' rings and what they meant. We parted ways without speaking. It was awkward. But cool too.

Nice!

Two ships passing in the night.

I have one but haven't had a chance/desire to wear it much. Solo in the city yes, but not where I live. I don't think the concept of asexuality would go over too well so I'm not interested in being 'out' here.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, will123 said:

I have one but haven't had a chance/desire to wear it much. Solo in the city yes, but not where I live. I don't think the concept of asexuality would go over too well so I'm not interested in being 'out' here

Will wearing the ring mean that you're out? Most people, particularly those not super cluey about LGBT+ stuff, have no idea what it signifies.

1 hour ago, Celyn said:

Will wearing the ring mean that you're out? Most people, particularly those not super cluey about LGBT+ stuff, have no idea what it signifies.

No but I'd rather not have to answer questions about it (I live in a rural area).

23 minutes ago, will123 said:

No but I'd rather not have to answer questions about it (I live in a rural area).

Fair enough. It was easy for me because I've always liked wearing gothy-style rings, so nobody questions another one.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Celyn said:

Fair enough. It was easy for me because I've always liked wearing gothy-style rings, so nobody questions another one.

I wear the gold 'service' ring from the company I worked for. Very seldom do I get asked about it. But a black ring not on my 'ring finger' might be noticeable.

Like anything, wearing the ace ring is a personal choice for each of us. Some might be cautious like myself, while others will wear it all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
little fish

Back when I first discovered I was ace I ordered a ring, unfortunately it was completely the wrong size so I never wore it. I wasn't really open about it so maybe that was good for me. I have never seen someone else wear one, but I don't pay attention to be honest.

I just ordered hopefully the correct size from amazon, if it's a little too big I can just order the size down, since it's pretty cheap. I think it'll help me remember that I'm okay just the way I am.

little fish

(Sorry I hope I can double post!)

Just got mine, gonna show it off :D

24fwkzk.jpg

It was the cheapest amazon one, stainless steel. Didn't know what size to get, measured it but it was between two sizes so I got the bigger one. It's actually not loose enough that I'll lose it but loose enough that it doesn't feel constricting, happy about that. 

By the way if you're confused about sizing, there's a website that's called 'find my ring size' you can use to compare your old rings or makeshift rings to standard sizes. Much better than the normal way of measuring with a string, I did that once and ended up with a ring that was way too big. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, little fish said:

By the way if you're confused about sizing, there's a website that's called 'find my ring size' you can use to compare your old rings or makeshift rings to standard sizes. Much better than the normal way of measuring with a string, I did that once and ended up with a ring that was way too big. 

What I did to figure out my ring size was I went to TJMaxx and tried on the rings they had in the jewelry case 🙈

• Like 3
Tasha the demi squirrel

To find my ring size I went to a jewelry shop and asked them to measure my size the only problem I had was that the site I ordered my ring from had different sizing since the shop went by English sizing but the site went by American sizing so I ended up having to guess anyway and it was a bit small however I've accustomed my finger to the size so now it fits perfectly.......I wear it everyday my hand feels weird without it 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Knightlistener

I wear the ace ring. I got it from a 5 dollar box of different colored simple bands at the Savannah pride festival. I got to college in Savannah and so far i’ve Seen three other people who wear a black ring on their middle fingers like me. I just point at it and say, “Nice ring”, I like to see faces light up when they see my ring and we can just feel that sense of community and no one else knows what’s going on. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Knightlistener said:

I wear the ace ring. I got it from a 5 dollar box of different colored simple bands at the Savannah pride festival. I got to college in Savannah and so far i’ve Seen three other people who wear a black ring on their middle fingers like me. I just point at it and say, “Nice ring”, I like to see faces light up when they see my ring and we can just feel that sense of community and no one else knows what’s going on. 

That's so awesome!

• Like 1
Fluffy Femme Guy

I made one by wrapping a cheap metal ring in black electrical tape. I have to re-wrap it every so often, but at least its comfortable.

I almost always wear it when I go out. I wear it to work too.
I also have a pony-bead necklace I made myself in ace colors that I usually wear alongside it.

No one has ever asked about it or said anything.

SpookyNameHere

I've never actually seen someone wearing a black ring. Then again, I've never really looked out for one either. I thought about wearing a ring once when I first heard about it, but I figured nobody would get it anyway. 

I usually don't wear rings either, but maybe if I can find a ring I really like I'll do it anyway. 

I used to wear one, then I stopped. I think I may have lost it...? My friend who is also ace does not wear one either. It may just be a niche thing? I also heard that the black ring is also the symbol for swingers so I am hesitant to wear it again. 

I’ve always avoided jewellery on my hands as it’s a distraction and annoyance for me. But I’ve bought a small black ring as a personal reminder to recognise my asexuality and know there’s a community of people with similar views and experiences. I don’t expect anyone to recognise its meaning out and about in life but if they do, it’ll open a dialogue I hope. Pretty excited about my ring arriving, it feels like a step forward. 

• Like 1

There really are a lot of very nice black rings out there, also I don't seem to do subtle.

1WMk6Pq.jpg?1

I'm just waiting for a time like in that movie The Abyss where I'm running down a flooded corridor and jam my hand into a pressure door to stop it closing, saved only by the ring.

• Like 1
On 1/31/2018 at 7:03 PM, Scott1989 said:

Outside of Ace meets I've only seen 1 other black ring on a right middle finger but wasn't in a good position to ask if it's an ace ring. A lot of us at the Scottish ace meets (myself included) didn't wear one until last August when a new person gave us a whole load of spares that she had.

Also amazon seem like a good place for a ring. For sizing go to a jewlers and pretend that you saw a deal on their site and want to check your size. They'll have measuring rings that you can try.

At the recent Norwich meetup, I was the only one out of 6 to wear one.

I went to a local jeweller and asked if they had a plain black ring. They didn't but they were still happy to measure my size.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:08 AM, Celyn said:

Did we ever get a census thread for this? I'd like to see what proportion of AVENites wear it.

There is a closed one at:

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/151418-avenites-and-rings/

• Like 2
1 hour ago, œddy said:

There really are a lot of very nice black rings out there, also I don't seem to do subtle.

1WMk6Pq.jpg?1

I'm just waiting for a time like in that movie The Abyss where I'm running down a flooded corridor and jam my hand into a pressure door to stop it closing, saved only by the ring.

That one looks very much like mine. Is that one blue inside and made of tungsten carbon as well?

2 minutes ago, Scott1989 said:

That one looks very much like mine. Is that one blue inside and made of tungsten carbon as well?

Snap! 😃

Weighty little things aren't they

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Scott1989 said:

Mine is also tungsten carbide and has blue on the inside as well as a beveled edge with blue it in on the outside

• Like 1