How common is the black ring?

*Neko Tosiba*

I never realizedthis was a thing!when I go to college I will have to get one. I have an ace friene who realises it around the same time as me. I will wsk if she knows about this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one. It was a complete coincidence too, as I just like the colour black. I'd bought a black tungsten carbide replica of the One Ring from Amazon and it was the right size to fit comfortably on my right middle finger (The script on it is subtle, so from a distance it's just a black ring). Finding about asexuality and black rings just gave me another incentive to wear it. I've worn it ever since.

Squirrel Combat

I want to have one myself. But I can never seem to find where to purchase one.

Claire Farron

I ended up buying one after months of wanting to but not knowing where to go to find one.

I should have thought to look online sooner - it's embarrassing that it took me so long. Anyway, I bought one on Amazon a few days ago and it arrived earlier today. To Amazon's credit, they are very punctual. The ring itself fits perfectly for most of my fingers: my little fingers are much too slender for the ring obviously. Unfortunately, my middle finger of my right hand is just too wide for it to fit over the lower joint, but I can go back and buy the next size up.

There are sites online to help identify ring size if anyone's interested in doing some online shopping of their own. These sites require having a ring which fits (or really, anything ring-shaped which fits: a key-ring or a makeshift ring will suffice).

NB: Other shopping sites are available.

WheelCuddle

I put my first piece of jewelery on today, I live for the moment I

A: see another one

B someone recognizes mine!

I got my ring sizes at walmart for free if anyone is wondering.

• Like 1

I don't wear the ring, though I've heard of it, simply because I don't like wearing rings and, being left handed, I wear rings on my left, not right. Also, I don't really look at peole's hands, so I don't even notice if anyone I've met has one. Funny enough though, I used to have a dark ring I loved until one day I spun it (I had a habit of taking it off and spinning it on my desk) and it fell off and cracked into two.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a new one that actually fits. It actually feels a bit loose, but any smaller and it wouldn't fit over my knuckle. I'm planning on coating it in clear nail polish to help keep it nice longer and to see if it helps the fit feel just a tiny bit better.

Something I noticed while looking around on Amazon: there's also flexible silicone rings that might be helpful to some. Some actually look like decent rings, too.

SwirlyKitten

I don't know any asexuals in real life. I don't even know any that well over the internet. I hate rings, but I have a necklace with a cake on it.

• Like 2
Plectrophenax

This is the first I've heard about this. Goes to show how extensive my research was. I guess I was simply not as troubled by my realisation but almost indifferent to it, preventing me from seeking out means to "identify" myself to myself and others.

That said, I was very pleasantly surprised to see the asexuality banner suit my personal taste in colour so well. And I'm equally peasantly surprised that the colour of ring is to my liking also. Unfortunately I don't like wearing rings, for one because they are very striking and for another because I hate the feeling of not being able to take them off again - a feeling which I have even when I know that I actually can take them off without much trouble.

But now that I know about it, I might get myself a black ring when I get the chance and might carry it around with me since I like the symbolism. Could prove useful if I'm ever interested in meeting asexuals in real life.

Though I'm not sure how common the knowledge of this symbol is. Does anyone happen to know where this comes from?

Though I'm not sure how common the knowledge of this symbol is. Does anyone happen to know where this comes from?

You check it out from the AVENwiki: Black ring. :)

• Like 3
Plectrophenax

You check it out from the AVENwiki: Black ring. :)

Thanks, I had no idea there was an AVEN wiki. I'll be sure to rummage around a bit.

• Like 1

I've been trying to find a black ring, but I just can't. I don't know what the people in my area have against simple, black rings, but they don't sell them. At all. Maybe they hate me personally.

I have been trying to get a black ring for a while now.

I can never find one in my size :/

I do have a asexual flag pin I usually wear though. And 3 different ace pride shirts I wear every so often

so if I ever do meet another ace in pacing they are going to know right away lol

I've been trying to find a black ring, but I just can't. I don't know what the people in my area have against simple, black rings, but they don't sell them. At all. Maybe they hate me personally.

I've got my black ring from amazon. It's pretty cheap, but it's a good ring and don't leave those gross green marks. Also has a large range of sizes.

• Like 1

I've got my black ring from amazon. It's pretty cheap, but it's a good ring and don't leave those gross green marks. Also has a large range of sizes.

thanks I might just buy it :D

It took me some time to find a shop that was selling black rings under 2000€ around here, but I finaly ran into one. Since then black ring on right hand middle finger and I only remove it when I shave to avoid scratching my skin.

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit late on the train ^^

I wear a black ring. It's a simple black metal ring, with an engraving on the inside.

http://www.black-impressions.de/bilder/produkte/gross/Love-til-Death-Partnerring-Duo-Edelstahl-schwarz-Gr-56-62_b2.jpg

The story behind it is a bit funny:

I got it from my now best friend (we even used to date, two times, it's kinda...complicated), she used to wear the other one too, but she lost it eventually. At some time, we broke up (the second time) so I threw my ring into a cupboard - I couldn't stand wearing it, but I couln't threw it away either.

Almost a half year later, when I was trying to find my identity, I heard of the A-spectrum and it made sense to me... Then, I thought of the ring and started searching for it, haha... Now it's on my right middle finger, for nearly two years now.  

• 1 year later...

I wear one and a friend in class (college) does too but I haven't had the guts to ask her yet. :P Its the first thing I did when I discovered I was asexual because iI felt so different inside, I wanted to show it somehow on the outside. 

• Like 1

I have one, but I haven't worn it because I'm in an area that if people did ask about it and then not understand the reason for wearing it. If I go to Toronto I'd probably wear it.

I want one. :(

Although the assumption I might be into swinging has me paranoid. Just the chance it could be interpreted that way leaves me slightly anxious. So I am thinking about wearing it around my neck for the time being and when I am more confident about what it means in wider society to then wear it on my middle finger.

I have been looking around for a ring but I can't seem to find the right one. I would like to get one that has a hint of purple in the band but no such luck.

I did see a black fidget spinner ring being posted here that would be up my alley as I do suffer from anxiety and will kill two birds with one stone (fidgeting it yeah!). Pity no UK stores sell such a thing.

Do any fellow British aces know a good place to get a ring?

Maybe I'll get a ring when I go off to college. Yeah, I think I'll do that.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, umbasa said:

Although the assumption I might be into swinging has me paranoid. Just the chance it could be interpreted that way leaves me slightly anxious. So I am thinking about wearing it around my neck for the time being and when I am more confident about what it means in wider society to then wear it on my middle finger.

I did not know swingers had a 'signal' ring before it was mentioned. I think if I was wearing 'the' ring and someone asked me if I was a swinger, I would just say no, that I was asexual and leave it at that.

19 hours ago, umbasa said:

@umbasa I've ordered something that I hope will be a good fit for me - if it's decent, I'll update this post! (roll on Wednesday / Thursday depending on Royal Mail)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Raire said:

@umbasa I've ordered something that I hope will be a good fit for me - if it's decent, I'll update this post! (roll on Wednesday / Thursday depending on Royal Mail)

Cool. I shall await your evaluation.

• Like 1
Hermit Advocate

I have one, though I have yet to find another person with a black ring on the correct finger. 

I only know one other ace besides myself (my sister) and while she has one, I don't see her wearing it frequently--her work doesn't allow rings. There is another person who I've seen with a black ring on the correct finger, and she seems ace, but I haven't asked. So of those I've met who are/likely are ace, it's been 2/2. I wear one so I guess that's 3 for 3.

I frequently forget to wear mine myself but I am seriously tempted to get the "Chaotic Ace" dnd enamel pin by ThisIsHannako. It's pretty sweet. I would wear that all the time.

@umbasa (and anyone else!) - my ring arrived today. 

vJ6udZl.jpg

Unfortunately waaaay too big (apparently I can't read measuring tapes or I took measurements when my finger was especially fat!) so I'll have to tinker for a snug fit. 

But for £3.29 with free P&P off-of Amazon, I can't complain. It'll do until I find better. The main intention is that it's subtle and won't shout about itself.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Raire said:

@umbasa (and anyone else!) - my ring arrived today. 

vJ6udZl.jpg

Unfortunately waaaay too big (apparently I can't read measuring tapes or I took measurements when my finger was especially fat!) so I'll have to tinker for a snug fit. 

But for £3.29 with free P&P off-of Amazon, I can't complain. It'll do until I find better. The main intention is that it's subtle and won't shout about itself.

Ah yes, the measurement. I've measured my finger but I'm not 100% I have done it right. Double, triple checked it but still. The measurements used on sites might be throwing me off.

• Like 1
On 28/01/2018 at 10:04 PM, umbasa said:

I have been looking around for a ring but I can't seem to find the right one. I would like to get one that has a hint of purple in the band but no such luck.

I did see a black fidget spinner ring being posted here that would be up my alley as I do suffer from anxiety and will kill two birds with one stone (fidgeting it yeah!). Pity no UK stores sell such a thing.

I wear my ring when not at work or aroumd family and never had a problem with being mistaken for a swinger (seen multiple swinger sources say middle finger is for Aces and not for them, and it was their concept before ours so that is cool of them) so that may help, but as @will123 said, a polite turn down will be enough to clear up the confussion.

Outside of Ace meets I've only seen 1 other black ring on a right middle finger but wasn't in a good position to ask if it's an ace ring. A lot of us at the Scottish ace meets (myself included) didn't wear one until last August when a new person gave us a whole load of spares that she had.

Also amazon seem like a good place for a ring. For sizing go to a jewlers and pretend that you saw a deal on their site and want to check your size. They'll have measuring rings that you can try.

• Like 2