How common is the black ring?

INVISIBLENINJAH

I want one. I'm just scared that I'll go buy one and my parents will ask me what it's for and I'm still in the closet.

I wear a ring, and so does the one other ace I know irl, but besides that I've only ever seen one person wearing a black ring on his middle finger, and I'm pretty sure he had no idea. I asked about it (in a roundabout way, cuz I wasn't sure if he knew about the symbolism), and his response pretty much confirmed that he didn't know.

On a side note, I also wear an ace flag bracelet, (which in reality is literally just four colored hair ties that make up the ace flag) and a girl that I know actually did notice it. She already knew I was ace, but I thought it was pretty cool that she recognized the ace flag, which led to a short discussion on ace visibility. :)

• 2 weeks later...
RaisedByHippies98

I wear one because the meaning behind it defines my atmosphere, and i can feel my energy change when i do because i see it and feel proud to be ace every day

• Like 3

I want one. I'm just scared that I'll go buy one and my parents will ask me what it's for and I'm still in the closet.

I have Homophobic parents and i wear it anyway, you don't have to worry. It's only a ring and they probably don't know what it means.

Anyway, if you want to have it you don't have to worry about what they think and you don't have to give explanation either.

When my mother asked me I just said to her that I liked it. I don't have to give her any explanation if I don't feel it's time.

So: don't worry. Have cake. :cake:

• Like 1

By pure coincidence, I wear a black ring on my right ring finger. Ive had it for years. Long before I considered myself a gray.

Schattenschatz

I've recently started wearing one every time I leave the house, unless I'm going to exercise (the one I have is a little large for me to wear ALL the time). No one has recognized or commented on the significance of it, and I've never seen anyone wearing one, or at least I've never noticed.

I wear one, it has the Lord's prayer on it as well, because I'm Catholic and I wanted something on it. My family doesn't know that I'm asexual, so having the Lord's prayer on it kinda disguised the meaning, but they wouldn't have known anyways. I think a lot of asexuals know about ace rings, but I think non-asexuals are less informed about it.

• Like 1
TheButterflyComposer

I wear one and the three asexuals I've met in real life (not sure if they are on this forum?) wear them too.

I feel its a marker for other asexuals to hone onto as if to say:

"I AM AN ISLAND IN THE MASSIVE SEA OF SEXUALITY. SAFE HARBOUR OFFERED HERE!"

But that's just me. ^_^

• Like 6

I just wear a black ceramic ring. I've only worn it for a few months, but I wear it every time I go outside. I doubt my family knows what it means if they ever notice it (except maybe my mom since I told her I was asexual). No one recognized it yet.

• Like 1

I've yet to meet another person with a ring. Other's have noticed mine as a LOTR ring, but not yet an Ace ring.

• Like 3

Tja, I love your ring, I think it looks so cool! Anyway, I have worn a black ring on my right middle finger for about three years. I've been asked about it a few times and have never really said what it truly represents, because I was at work, now I'm retired and could care less what people think about me. However, when I met up with another avenite, he saw my ring and it felt good to know that he knew what it meant. Besides being black it's also magnetic! :)

• Like 1
whocaresthough

Welp, I'm going to buy one now. Does it have to be specific, or just any plain black ring? And does it have to be on your middle finger?

It's funny because my step dad's wedding ring is just black XD

whocaresthough

Welp, I'm going to buy one now. Does it have to be specific, or just any plain black ring? And does it have to be on your middle finger?

The middle right finger is the designated one. But, do whatever you like. :)

I've been wearing a black ring for quite sometime now, and no one has

asked me about it, neither at work or outside of work.But I have mentioned

It to a couple of friends, basically "coming out" to them.And I most recently told

one of my friends about it.And when I was talking to him about asexuality,

he came to realize that he's demisexual.I thought it was an interesting moment.

Well going back to the black ring,I wear a black ring, and I believe all aces

should wear a black ring for reconition.

• Like 1
chuckylover911

I've worn a black ring ever since I found out I was asexual and I think that was a little more than 2 years ago. So far I haven't met anyone else wearing a black ring. I haven't had anyone comment on my ring either. (Well other than my brother but I already made a post about that experience in the asexualproblems thread.)

I don't wear one simply because I don't wear jewelry (only occasionally a bracelet if I feel like it but otherwise nothing). I haven't met people with a black ring either, but I do know one ace person irl ^_^

ButterfliesOnWatch

I wore one for a while but then discovered that I don't really like wearing rings because I have an unfortunate nervous habit when wearing the ring of rubbing my ring against my ring finger with my thumb and have gotten blisters that way. I might try it again sometime in the future, though.

I know a person who wears a plain black ring on her right middle finger. I haven't asked her about it, but a mutual friend told me I should talk to her when I mentioned that I don't get how people's minds go from "You're pretty." to "Can we have sex?" so I think she is ace. But like I said, I haven't asked her. She's not a close friend and i generally only see her at meals in the dining hall, which is not exactly the optimal time or place to ask someone about their sexuality...

I had never heard of it before coming on this site, and I have never seen one I don't think, even on people I know to be asexual.

I want one now :) Not totally sure where to go about finding them cheap though. Amazon has them for one cent, but shipping costs.....

• Like 1

Well in my case no one will except the fact that I'm ace all of where I live is trying to force me to have sex I think but I can not get a size 14 black ring for anything and futhermore I'm hounded by folks but I wear my ring on my pinky finger sence I can't get the middle one.

• Like 1
scarletlatitude

I think the problem isn't that people won't wear the ring. The problem is non-aces who don't know what the black ring means. People can choose to wear a black ring for many reasons, and unless you ask, there is no way to know if the ring is an asexual symbol or just a fashion trend. The ring isn't quite like the rainbow flag or something like that. It's not as easy to spot.

I want to find a black ring because I think it would be good for me to have. I would know what it means. I don't necessarily care if anyone else recognizes it, but that would be cool if someone did.

• Like 1
whocaresthough

I have one, and I'm planning on getting a second, or maybe even third if my next two are small enough XD (I'm obsessed)

whocaresthough

I want one now :) Not totally sure where to go about finding them cheap though. Amazon has them for one cent, but shipping costs.....

After searching around, I saw two places to buy them, though I didn't know about it the first time, so I was so obsessed with trying to find one that every store or Gas Station I went to, I'd look for one. WalMart didn't have one, and the smaller gas stations didn't have them, but I found mine for $10 at a larger Gas Station with a Taco Bell and sub sandwich place. If $10 is too expensive for you, I'd say go to a flee market or something. I went to one in Las Vegas years ago, and there was nothing they didn't have, black ring included, and I'm sure it would've been one dollar, tops.

I used to wear one but lost the habit when I had my arm in a cast after surgery in February. I'm seriously thinking of doing a tattoo instead now, but I'm still thinking about specifics.

I've only ever seen one other one in real life, but I think somebody in a dream a few days ago was wearing one. I forgot to ask them about it before I woke up, though.

After searching around, I saw two places to buy them, though I didn't know about it the first time, so I was so obsessed with trying to find one that every store or Gas Station I went to, I'd look for one. WalMart didn't have one, and the smaller gas stations didn't have them, but I found mine for $10 at a larger Gas Station with a Taco Bell and sub sandwich place. If $10 is too expensive for you, I'd say go to a flee market or something. I went to one in Las Vegas years ago, and there was nothing they didn't have, black ring included, and I'm sure it would've been one dollar, tops.

Gas stations sell jewlery?????

The Amazon one would actually be cheaper ($6.99 for shipping) but idk how to explain the situation to my parents. *shrugs* I'll figure it out. Thank you!

Well in my case no one will except the fact that I'm ace all of where I live is trying to force me to have sex I think but I can not get a size 14 black ring for anything and futhermore I'm hounded by folks but I wear my ring on my pinky finger sence I can't get the middle one.

You can try using a ring guard, it should help.

You can try using a ring guard, it should help.

If the ring is too big.

TheButterflyComposer

Amazon is really good for this kind of thing. I will try and find a stock photo of my ring, and how it looks on me, okay?

GwendolynAngel83

I personally wear mine all the time and did end up meeting another ace thanks to it. I was walking with some girls in my ASL class since we were all parked in the same general area, and one if the girls looked over at me and said she liked my ring. I'm very open with my asexuality so I smiled and said "Thanks, it's an ace ring." She just kind of smiled back and told me she knew before showing me basically the exact same ring on her right middle finger. I was rather excited and asked her about her romantic orientation which prompted a conversation that confused the other girl walking with us, which led to us explaining things to her

• Like 1
GwendolynAngel83

I personally wear mine all the time and did end up meeting another ace thanks to it. I was walking with some girls in my ASL class since we were all parked in the same general area, and one if the girls looked over at me and said she liked my ring. I'm very open with my asexuality so I smiled and said "Thanks, it's an ace ring." She just kind of smiled back and told me she knew before showing me basically the exact same ring on her right middle finger. I was rather excited and asked her about her romantic orientation which prompted a conversation that confused the other girl walking with us, which led to us explaining things to her

• Like 1