How common is the black ring?

On 2/25/2019 at 9:34 PM, jLpfeiffer said:

I got one a about a week-ish ago. I love it, it’s comforting and I fell less alone about my orientation when I’m out and about and not on here. It’s also like a silent coming out.  

Mine is a simple polished hematite band, so it’s more of a shiny dark gray but it I like it so that’s that matters I guess.  

I enjoy finding out the hidden meanings of stones so after buying it I looked it up and I could be happier with the definition. I feel like some of the meanings fits my situation perfectly. 

https://www.energymuse.com/hematite-meaning

The Hematite crystal meaning is linked with its ability to absorb any toxic emotions holding you back from your natural state of joy and vitality. Use Hematite in your crystal healing first aid kit to clear away negative feelings from stress, anxiety, and worry.”

I have a hematite chain with a pewter pentagram on it (I don't dissolve either of those so that's good) 😆

I don't have a black ring, I'd definitely wear one though, need to shuffle my current rings around to accommodate it, or swap one out.

Nobody would think anything of me wearing a black ring, I currently wear 5 rings (spread across both hands), 3 steel ones, a silver one and one that is actually 3 hard drive spacer rings from 2.5" laptop hard drives (I work in IT and like dismantling broken stuff sometimes)

Black would also match my piercings (all of those are black) and works with my general colour-scheme of wearing only black 😎

• Like 2
Infinita_Nox

I got a black ring today 😀

I moved the ring I normally have on the right middle finger to the left middle finger, and removed the ring from the left middle finger (it cuts if it starts sliding apart)

My hematite chain and pentagram is in the pictures too.

Spoiler

20190302_114435_zpsqb7ugwsl.jpg

20190302_114445_zpsnmoihobn.jpg

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Infinita_Nox said:

I got a black ring today 😀

Congrats 😁

• Like 3
Pumpkins_and_penguins

I wear a black ring. I have a couple because I always loose them. I got them from various places for under £10 each. For anyone in the UK looking I got one for a fiver in Sainsbury's  recently.

The one I'm currently wearing looks like a chain of hearts which I find quite amusing.

I have never met any other aces in real life so I don't know how common a symbol it is in my area. 

• Like 2
Tasha the demi squirrel
23 hours ago, Pumpkins_and_penguins said:

For anyone in the UK looking I got one for a fiver in Sainsbury's  recently.

I forgot that Sainsbury's even sold jewelry 

(i can't delete replies so i'm just putting this here - sorry!)

Edited by Audrey03
Life With Masks

I think the flag is more well-known than the ring. I can't wear rings because they cause too much discomfort. I wished I had ace pride merchandise.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I wear a black ring myself. I find myself looking for black rings on other people's hands sometimes. Today I was watching a Youtube video of a YTer called Unlistedleaf drinking pokemon sodas and noticed that he had a black ring on his right middle finger!!! I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if he's actually ace but it's still exciting because he's the first person beside myself I've seen with a black ring.

• Like 1
✿ Camelia ✿

Not sure about how common it might be but like others above I too wear one. Hyper simple, very thin black ring with no pattern whatsoever  (I'm fan of simplicity 😅) found at the weekly market in town.

Being a broke student that was way more cheaper than merchandise I guess? And I quite like it to be honest. 

But also I guess it depends on who's the message for. Like the flag or flag related merchandise are more for everyone's understanding while probably the ring is recognised only by people who already looked into asexuality and its symbols. I guess? 

Since I just started wearing it and knowing about its meaning  (pretty new to the realisation 😂) I haven't met anyone that I can remember and neither I've been asked. I'll let you know if it changes though! 

Edited by RC-121K
typos
  • Like 1
Custard Cream

I'm still waiting to meet someone else wearing one (not counting at ace meets of course!)

• Like 3

I have a black ring and an ace-pride-flag-bracelet. It has never been noticed by anyone (or at least nobody told me that they had noticed it). Also never met anyone else with a ring (except for ace meetups).

• Like 1

I wore a black ring before I learned that people wear black rings as ace rings. Although I wear it on my index finger.

To be honest, I don't think they're too common? But then again, my circle of friends is sparce and I only have a couple of ace friends.

• Like 1
Bel aka catcrazylady

I am so glad I live in a large city, now- I'm going to be on the lookout for people wearing these rings, now! 
Had no idea this was a thing until today :)

• Like 3

I recieved my black ring yesterday, a simple silicone band, and I am wearing it today for the first time. I am excited but don’t expect anyone to know the meaning if it. It will be interesting to see if I’m wrong. 😊

• Like 2
Custard Cream

Still hugely disappointed at how invisible aces are. I've been wearing a black ring for two months, and with an Ace flag handbag charm and nobody has commented, or even appeared to notice, either.  Maybe one day? Who knows? No doubt it will happen at an inappropriate time, like when I'm with people I haven't told...

• Like 5
4 hours ago, CustardCream said:

Maybe one day? Who knows? No doubt it will happen at an inappropriate time, like when I'm with people I haven't told...

It sure does seem that way, but the future seems to be unpredictable with most things (so maybe one day). :) 

• Like 1
Custard Cream
On 3/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, Bel aka catcrazylady said:

I am so glad I live in a large city, now- I'm going to be on the lookout for people wearing these rings, now! 
Had no idea this was a thing until today :)

Last time I went to an ace meet I had a quick ring count. I reckon only about half of the aces were wearing them, so it's a bit hit and miss, but better than nothing!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
theatrenerd

I got my ace ring a few days ago and I've been feeling a lot more like myself😊

• Like 3
MercyIsVictory

I've worn the ace ring for a few years now. Unfortunately, I've never seen anyone else wearing it, and no one's ever recognized mine. 😕 

• Like 3
On 4/23/2019 at 10:17 AM, theatrenerd said:

I got my ace ring a few days ago and I've been feeling a lot more like myself😊

That is terrific! It is super to hear this!! :) 

• Like 2
On 4/23/2019 at 10:21 AM, MercyIsVictory said:

I've worn the ace ring for a few years now. Unfortunately, I've never seen anyone else wearing it, and no one's ever recognized mine. 😕 

In a large city (Pittsburgh), I can tell you this is my same experience as well. I take the approach if someone recognizes my ring then it will make it more special (just hopefully I am not taken by surprise!). :) 

• Like 1
Fighting_For_Us

Both my best friend and I wear the black ring regularly, and I've bumped into two confirmed local aces because they were wearing the ring. Its definitely not a super common sight, there are some of us out there sporting the ace bling :D

• Like 4

I've worn a black ring for years now and never been recognized that I know of. Last year I started wearing a silicone ring and love it! I've only taken it off once in 11 months, and it's held up through workouts, hikes, hot weather, cold weather... Here's the link to the company I like:

https://ensorings.com

GentlemanCambrioleur

I'd like one one day. Most people are allosexual in my area though, so I don't know if it will send a message. But I would like it to validate my own identity to myself. 

• Like 1
a_subtle_reality

Had a question about variations on black rings (whether it would still be recognisable as such with a thin green band), but I made a new topic (here) as I realised it's a bit off-topic for this thread...

Edited by a_subtle_reality
Chamomile_Serenity
On 4/28/2019 at 11:13 PM, PittAce92 said:

In a large city (Pittsburgh), I can tell you this is my same experience as well. I take the approach if someone recognizes my ring then it will make it more special (just hopefully I am not taken by surprise!). :) 

I'm also near a large diverse city, and haven't seen anyone with a black ring, but then again I don't have one either. I have also met another ace in-person ...they also didn't have a ring!  I honestly thought only the teens in this community were wearing them so I didn't think much about it before now. Perhaps I'll get one just in case, so if I do come across someone they'll know we're out here and not just internet phantoms. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chamomile_Serenity said:

I'm also near a large diverse city, and haven't seen anyone with a black ring, but then again I don't have one either. I have also met another ace in-person ...they also didn't have a ring!  I honestly thought only the teens in this community were wearing them so I didn't think much about it before now. Perhaps I'll get one just in case, so if I do come across someone they'll know we're out here and not just internet phantoms. 

I got mine last year, after I was 19 and I’ll be continuing to wear it. It feels good to have it now. Kind of pointless post actually I’m not sure what my point is.

• Like 2
Celyn: The Lutening

I just met someone wearing the ace ring! I don't know if he noticed mine though.

• Like 2
Custard Cream
53 minutes ago, Celyn said:

I just met someone wearing the ace ring! I don't know if he noticed mine though.

Wow - still waiting for that to happen. I think my stomach would flip.

• Like 1