Apothisexual

MoraDollie

Apothisexual: Someone who identifies as asexual and is sex repulsed

What do you think/feel about this term? Does it deserve its own classification under the asexual umbrella?

There's nothing wrong with using it, but I agree with Doctor Azo. it's a pretty pointless term, which will end up taking more time to explain than repulsed ace.

Lost247365

I think it belongs.

That said, I would think its more common name, anti-sexual, probably convey its meaning better...though I can understand why someone would object to that term.

Whats the prefix mean?

And there's already Aposexual as an alternative title for Lithsexual; they're rather similar. Apothi sounds like apathy too. and there's already that as apathsexual.

Besides, wouldn't a non-asexual title mean sexual attraction/this term should mean a sex repulsed sexual?

I don't think anti-sexual is really the same thing, because anti-sexual implies that you are sex-negative (ie. hate when other have sex, even if it doesn't affect you), whereas sex-repulsed doesn't (sex-repulsed is a label that refers to someone who is disgusted when they see or are involved with sex, but do not necessarily have to care what happens when they aren't around)

As for the term apothisexual, technically I would fit the definition as an asexual who is also sex-repulsed, but I would probably never use it to identify myself. I find it hard enough to get people outside of AVEN to understand what asexual means, let alone apothisexual. I like to keep my labels as simple as they can be without any loss of meaning, so sex-repulsed asexual works fine for me.

That being said, I don't have a problem with the term itself. I certainly can't see myself using it, and I'm not sure how well-known it will become, but if others want to identify that way, I say go for it!

Lost247365

I don't think anti-sexual is really the same thing, because anti-sexual implies that you are sex-negative (ie. hate when other have sex, even if it doesn't affect you), whereas sex-repulsed doesn't (sex-repulsed is a label that refers to someone who is disgusted when they see or are involved with sex, but do not necessarily have to care what happens when they aren't around)

As for the term apothisexual, technically I would fit the definition as an asexual who is also sex-repulsed, but I would probably never use it to identify myself. I find it hard enough to get people outside of AVEN to understand what asexual means, let alone apothisexual. I like to keep my labels as simple as they can be without any loss of meaning, so sex-repulsed asexual works fine for me.

That being said, I don't have a problem with the term itself. I certainly can't see myself using it, and I'm not sure how well-known it will become, but if others want to identify that way, I say go for it!

The reason I called it "anti-sexual" is because apothiromantic has anti-romantic as a synonym.

http://aromantics.wikia.com/wiki/Apothiromantic

Anti- can mean opposed to, but it can also mean the opposite of, and I think that is the idea in this case. Someone who is repulsed by the idea of sex would the opposite of someone attracted to it.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=anti-&allowed_in_frame=0

I can't find it on the etymology dictionary but apothi- seems to come from απώθησαν (apó̱thi̱san) which is the greek word for "repulsed."

That said, I do get what you mean and see your point.

Spectre/Ex/Machina

This is the same sort of conversation I saw being had when the term Cupiosexual came out because Cupios are sex-favorable Aces.

I personally don't mind yet another term floating in the ether as long as no uses it to be divisive. Apothisexual shall now be added into my own little "Ace encyclopedia mentalica".

SomethingOrAnother

I personally wouldn't use the term myself because I feel that it's unnecessary. However, I don't think there would be anything with a person wanting to use the word if they truly feel comfortable with it

What do you think/feel about this term? Does it deserve its own classification under the asexual umbrella?

I like this, it may be just be shorter version of the term " sex repulsed asexual" but it is doesn't take as much time to type

I like this, it may be just be shorter version of the term " sex repulsed asexual" but it is doesn't take as much time to type

Except, most people will have no clue what you mean, so by time you type it + explain it = more time to type it.

Am I the only one who thinks it sounds too close to "apothesexual" (with an "e") which could hypothetically mean "has no inherent sex drive/sexual attraction to others but only does as a result of medications/supplements"? (Yes I just made this term up.)

dandelionfluff

Then what would the term for being neutral or indifferent? Would that need a new word? I'm asking because there's cupiosexual and now this, so why not a term for the middle ground.

Lost247365

Then what would the term for being neutral or indifferent? Would that need a new word? I'm asking because there's cupiosexual and now this, so why not a term for the middle ground.

I am going to make a wild guess and say apathsexual?

Portmanteau of apathy and sexual. Similar to the word apatheism* which is apathy+theism.

*apatheism is a form of atheism and is not directly related to sexuality. I am merely using it as an example word that contains the prefix apath-.

How many new words are we up to now -- about 25? And all of them unnecessary.

I am going to make a wild guess and say apathisexual?

Portmanteau of apathy and sexual. Similar to the word apatheism which is apathy+theism.

I put it in my previous comment; being sex indifferent is called Apathsexual. No i.

Apathy comes from Greek apatheia, from apathēs without feeling, from a- + pathos emotion. Thus the only thing staying the same is Apath.

And apatheism refers to religion; meaning that the existence of gods does not matter. Combining that with sexual makes no sense.

To your other post: The true opposite of something is it not existing. But the polar opposite, as many use the word in this way, would be sex-repulsed.

Also, as i said and you confirm, the word should then mean repulsed sexual, but we already have a word for that; Lithsexual aka Aposexual.

I can't find anything on Apothi but those can be separated into Apo and Thi. Apo/Aph/Ap when put before a vowel, means away/off/separate/free from/derived from, and can also mean lack/absence of (all of which are types of Lithsexual/Lithromantic, thus the far more accurate title for it). Thi/Thio means a chemical contains sulfer... so idk what it's supposed to mean.

This is the same sort of conversation I saw being had when the term Cupiosexual came out because Cupios are sex-favorable Aces.

I personally don't mind yet another term floating in the ether as long as no uses it to be divisive. Apothisexual shall now be added into my own little "Ace encyclopedia mentalica".

Cupiosexuals are not sex-favoring aces. They literally desire sex while finding no one sexually enticing/act without the enticement.

Lost247365

I am going to make a wild guess and say apathisexual?

Portmanteau of apathy and sexual. Similar to the word apatheism which is apathy+theism.

I put it in my previous comment; being sex indifferent is called Apathsexual. No i.

And apatheism refers to religion; meaning that the existence of gods does not matter. Combining that with sexual makes no sense.

Sorry I missed your post.

You are completely right and I will correct my post.

How many new words are we up to now -- about 25? And all of them unnecessary.

Have to agree.. I mean, I get wanting to explain how you are in short terms. But, the sheer amount of labels is at the point I am struggling to even remember one I talked about 2 days ago. I see at least 3 new ones a day anymore. NO ONE is going to remember them all, which defeats the purpose of a short label to explain something... cause you then have to explain the label.

Arctangent

I've noticed a trend of people thinking that experiences have to be framed as "sexual orientations" in order to be real or valid. That might explain the drive some people seem to have to give every shared experience its own term ending in "-sexual." I think that's flawed reasoning, though. What's wrong with "sex-repulsed?" Sure, it's not an orientation per se, but it still describes a perfectly legitimate experience that many people have, and furthermore, it's not difficult to understand what it means.

I don't know. On the one hand, I can sympathize with the desire to categorize and describe experiences using convenient labels, and I won't tell anyone that they can't identify a particular way. However, at some point I think it starts causing more confusion than it resolves, especially considering how terminology-saturated the ace community already is. It's hard enough for me to keep up with the constant influx of new terms, and I've been around for a while... imagine how overwhelming it would be to an outsider or someone new to the community.

Elluna Hellen

Why can't you just say 'sex-repulsed asexual' and keep things a bit simpler for a change? xD I understand that people want a label so that they can identify themselves and feel like they belong to something, but 'sex-repulsed' seems to do that just fine on its own, to me.

I can't find it on the etymology dictionary but apothi- seems to come from απώθησαν (apó̱thi̱san) which is the greek word for "repulsed."

So it basically means sex-repulsed.

Two problems there:

1) Repulsion is not an orientation, so the ending -sexual will lead to it getting mistaken for one. That's a bad structural choice.

2) Defining it as an asexual who is repulsed is coming out of nowhere and can in no way be deduced from the word itself. This erases sex-repulsed sexuals.

=> No. Bad word. Please do not use it. (Bad tumblr! Bad! Down!)

WünderBâhr

I've noticed a trend of people thinking that experiences have to be framed as "sexual orientations" in order to be real or valid. That might explain the drive some people seem to have to give every shared experience its own term ending in "-sexual." I think that's flawed reasoning, though. What's wrong with "sex-repulsed?" Sure, it's not an orientation per se, but it still describes a perfectly legitimate experience that many people have, and furthermore, it's not difficult to understand what it means.

Well, describing experiences would be fine, if they were being promoted as such. Descriptors, adjectives to the main. But many are touted as identities and orientations. The distinction is required because of how many terms and labels there are.

I don't know. On the one hand, I can sympathize with the desire to categorize and describe experiences using convenient labels, and I won't tell anyone that they can't identify a particular way. However, at some point I think it starts causing more confusion than it resolves, especially considering how terminology-saturated the ace community already is. It's hard enough for me to keep up with the constant influx of new terms, and I've been around for a while... imagine how overwhelming it would be to an outsider or someone new to the community.

This. Rather than having intent to directly dismiss or erase an identity, or however one chooses to label themselves and their experiences/orientations, I feel that some of the dissent and backlash comes from an attempt to avoid further confusion within the community.

It is already difficult for people to understand what the basic (umbrella) terms mean. The ever-expanding terminology focuses on the identities as identities; starkly clinical. It turns the conversation from what to why, with the word, rather than the humanity of a person, being spotlighted.

Edit: to the OP, I would personally use sex-repulsed asexual. Familiarity with terms is part of the conversation, and I know many non-asexuals who would recognize "sex", "repulsed" and "asexual" (the latter likely less so), as individual words combined to aptly describe and begin the conversation. I believe that it helps ease that conversation, even if only a bit, because it seems less foreign to both parties.

Edited by bipolar bear
added note
chair jockey

I think it belongs.

That said, I would think its more common name, anti-sexual, probably convey its meaning better...though I can understand why someone would object to that term.

"Repulsed asexual" and "antisexual" are not the same thing. A repulsed asexual is someone who is asexual and personally repulsed by sex invoving them (which includes exposure to sensations of other people having sex and other sexual material). Antisexual is someone who is opposed to sex even when it doesn't involve them in any way, including sensation. Not every antisexual is selx-repulsed or even asexual, and not every sex-repulsed asexual is antisexual.

Sex-repulsed asexual is clear and easily understood by pretty much anyone, whether they are familiar with the ace spectrum or not, making up a new term to describe this identity seems unnecessary. It would just add the already high number of confusing, overly detailed, and unnecessary labels which I keep having to google and then immediately forget the meaning of.

Of course, people are free to label themselves as they wish Use what ever term you are comfortable with :)

• 5 months later...

Hello....I just found out about this term today my self...but it's where i belong under the Asexual types....i am disgusted by sex just thinking about it, so watching it or doing it is even out of the question....and that is not the only thing which makes me asexual, i am not attracted to anyone sexually nor it was ever been part of my liking or thoughts, been like this ever since i was little and as i grow older i started to get disgust also....so everything in me is asexual to the extreme.

but i do like to watch or read romantic stories and things and am romantic my self, but here is the weird thing, it's only good while it's in my mind, i never want or wish to do anything with anyone for real, which is strange for others if i tell them but i avoid that because no one can understand it....so i just live in my own little planet and nothing bothers me, and i don't care if anyone understands me or not.