FAQ - Links to the answers...

This sticky may help help you find answers to frequently asked questions on Aven.

FROM THE MAIN SITE:

Homepage Definition of Asexual and an Overview of Asexuality**

General FAQ

FAQ for FAMILY and FRIENDS of Asexuals

FAQ of Asexuals in relationship with a sexual

Other discussions on AVEN

Census Forum Where in you may find a plethoraof Polls on Aven than answer questions like - do asexuals have anything in common with each other besides being asexual, how many are men vs. women, what are our religious, political or movie preferences etc...

Questions and support for Sexuals who are in relationships with asexuals

(to be updated as needed - If you feel there should be a link to some FAQ discussion, please feel free to post it in this thread!)

**For those who have questions with the way Aven defines 'asexual' - you are not alone. Below are two of many discussions that have gone on here on AVEN that illustrate how difficult it is to nail down something that is suitable and pleasing to everyone. What we have on the main site homepage is the closest we have been able to get to a consensus, and as these threads will prove, it's not for lack of trying to come up with something better - it's just easier to leave it simple and broad.

Shifting the definition of Asexuality

Asexuality in all it's parts

Edited by Nalle Neversure
Edited by mod to fix broken links
  • 3 weeks later...
Live R Perfect

Another topic that comes up time and again is the matter of masturbation.

Here are just some of the threads that have been started on the subject:

Masturbation

Masturbating A's: what do you think about when masturbating?

Asexual Masturbation

Questions for A's Who Masturbate

Masturbation

Masturbation

Is it Normal for Females to Masturbate?

Masturbation

In summary:

Yes, some of us do and some of us don't. It's a very individual thing that generally depends on the sex drive of the person in question, which is a different thing to sexual attraction (the best analogy I've heard being that it's the difference between scratching an itch yourself and wanting someone else to scratch it for you).

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is in response to the FAQ: "I'm a sexual person but I'm incapable of having sex. Some people call me asexual. Are they right?"

The response to that question was: "No, they're not."

Through out the FAQ I noticed how the responder/responders were usually very careful not to step on any toes when responding to the often asked “Am I asexual”. You (whoever made response) made sure to always say that it is their choice to use such a label, basically illustrating that you (and anyone else) do not have the authority to make that distinction for a person. And in the context of YOUR definition of asexuality, (“someone who does not experience sexual attraction."), I would agree with your position on the subject.

HOWEVER I feel it is a bit selfish to make such a definite statement as: “No, they’re not.”, and in doing so implying that all the other VALID definitions of asexuality are immaterial. When a person is confused about something as serious as their sexuality (or lack there of) then one should be more sensitive to the situation and be careful to clarify and be more elaborate in their explanations. Because the person asking the question stated that he is being CALLED asexual by another person (instead of questioning whether or not to call themselves asexual). And that person most likely having the average understanding of what asexual means, most likely was using it in the more commonly understood definition: “lacking functional sex organs” (I understood that that and, “reproducing by reproductive processes that do not involve the union of individuals” were the correct and only definitions until I stumbled across your organization). So in THIS case they are in fact correct. And I say “fact” because unlike your definition, (which allows for interpretation when attaching the label), by their definition if they are made a ware of a person lacking functional sex organs they can definitively (and correctly) define that person as asexual. And he/she will continue to be asexual (in that manner) until they (like you rightly suggested) consult a doctor, to see about possibly fixing their problem. And with the above understanding I hope it is also apparent why stating “Asexual people are fine not having sex” may also be inaccurate in a generalization that does not clarify that you are referring to your preferred definition and not all definitions.

Also understand there are some dictionaries that do not have your version listed at all. To be fair that may be why a typical person may not be sensitive to your understanding of it as they are not even aware of that variation.

• 10 months later...
Cloud-Passing-by

Umm, most(or some) of the links don't work anymore because they're on the "old" site. I would really like to see some of the answers to the questions in this FAQ but am unable to do so because of non-working links. Could you maybe update them?

• 5 weeks later...
CrazyCatLover

Here are some updated links:

Census Forum

Questions and support for sexuals in relationships with asexuals

Mastrubating A's: what do you think about when masturbating?

Mastrubation

Do asexual women masturbate?

Do asexual men masturbate?

Do you mastrubate?

asexuality VS libido

I'm sorry, but I have no idea which "shifting the definition of Asexuality" topic was in the OP. So here's some topics discussing different forms of a/sexuality:

NO MORE CUBES: Depicting Attraction with a Radar Chart (okay, I just like this one).

More Moderate This Time: A Revision of Definition?

ABCD Types This links to the wiki, check out some of the related links for more attraction models.

Hope these help.

• 5 months later...
where can i find more info about grey As

One source would be the wiki page. You can also search for the term (put it in quotes and search titles only to narrow it down).

• 8 months later...

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but here goes:

Do you know of any posts where a discussion on mind being one way and body being another is taking place?

I've looked, but haven't really seen anything. I know people on here are picky about repeating topics.

Just wanted to know if there was anything I could read before I made a new topic.

Thanks!

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but here goes:

Do you know of any posts where a discussion on mind being one way and body being another is taking place?

I've looked, but haven't really seen anything. I know people on here are picky about repeating topics.

Just wanted to know if there was anything I could read before I made a new topic.

Thanks!

I recommend the "Search" feature in the upper right hand corner. Clicking "More Search Options" and then "More Options" often helps. If that doesn't lead anywhere, go to "Asexual Musings and Rantings" and "Asexual Q&A" and look at the first page of posts. If you want to be really thorough, you can try the second or even third too.

In general, repeated topics are allowed here. We always prefer people trying to answer their own questions, but there's no major harm either way. It only gets on people's nerves when the information is readily available and right there for anyone who looks for it. If a cursory look doesn't find anything, then you're probably okay.

As for your particular topic, I haven't seen much specific discussion on that recently. It gets mentioned in passing from time to time, but I think a topic about it would be fine. It could go in either Q&A or MusiRants depending on how you phrase it; MusiRants gets more traffic, but if you've got any specific questions then Q&A is more appropriate.