Spring clean - pinned threads

the bumbling rotifer

Spring clean - pinned threads  

1. 1. Should Welcome Older Asexuals be unpinned?

• Yes
    • No
    • Abstain
  2. 2. Should Farfel farfel pipik! be unpinned?

• Yes
    • No
    • Abstain
  3. 3. Should Farfel farfel pipik! be renamed to something less cryptic, such as "Oldies fun thread" (post ideas for alternative names below).

• Yes
    • No
    • Abstain
  4. 4. Should older asexuals - where do you live be pinned?

• Yes
    • No
    • Abstain

the bumbling rotifer

Some of you wonderful folk may have seen that a few weeks ago, ithaca posted a thread in Site Comments about the number of pinned threads in each of the forums. In response to that thread, I've made a poll to see whether we would like any of the threads in oldies to be unpinned.

I have no intention of unpinning any of the age-specific threads, but I believe there is a fair argument for unpinning one or both of "Welcome Older Asexuals" and "Farfel farfel pipik!". Neither thread has had more than two pages of new posts in the past year, and there are other places that people could post if these two threads got buried (in pretty much any thread in oldies in the case of welcome posts, and in JFF in the case of fun threads).

As an alternative to unpinning "Farfel farfel pipik!", I'd like to propose changing its name to something less cryptic. I think a lot of new folk are probably put off posting there because they're not sure what the thread is about. I propose that we change it to something along the lines of "Oldies fun thread". Please feel free to share any ideas for a new, more descriptive name for it :).

Lastly, there's the option of pinning new threads. "older asexuals - where do you live" has been running for a long long time, and has a similar level of activity to "Welcome Older Asexuals". Would anyone want to see this thread pinned?

Voted for unpinning as things which are popular and people are interested in are going to stay bobbling around the top anyway.

Just on the subject of Farfel farfel pipik, what about renaming it to include a description, eg. "Farfel farfel pipik! (oldies fun thread)" or similar. I like the idea of labelling it more clearly, but I think the silly name is part of the particular charm of the thing -- culturally I have a sort of sentimental attachment to it and would be absurdly sad to see it go.

I don't spend enough time in oldies to have strong opinions on anything besides the age threads (which I agree should definitely stay pinned), so I abstained. I think it's awesome that this is being put to a vote though!

Skycaptain

I agree with vervain's opinion on Farfel farfel pipik, I wondered what it was actually for, my initial interpretation being that it was something to do with pets

I've voting for leaving welcome older asexuals pinned because it gives a obvious point to go to for those new to the board and looking in the oldies section. As for the rest, no name changes and unpinned, they will stand or fall as they are. :)

Autumn Sunrise

Thanks for giving us the chance to express an opinion about these threads, Bumbles. I'm glad that you're keeping the age-specific threads pinned. With the others:

• As far as the welcome thread is concerned, I'm happy to continue making welcome posts in the age-specific threads, whoever I spot a newbie :D
  • I like the name "Farfel farfel pipik" - it's cute, and piques interest - but I think a "subtitle" as well would encourage more posting. (I believe Cats knows the story behind the name, but i don't remember the details, so I'll have to wait until she comes home from work.) It might be worth keeping this thread pinned if the suggested change is made, until we see if that increases the rate of posting.
  • I agree that "where do you live" shows quite sporadic activity, and I'm not sure how much use people make of the information - what do others think?

Archived