Trans*/genderqueer/non-binary research study! $50 gift certificate raffle!

LGBTQResearcher

LGBTQResearcher

Hi all! Here's a chance to participate in creating change for the community! I’m a queer doctoral student looking for people over 18 who identify as part of the transgender spectrum (e.g., transgender, genderqueer, transsexual, gender non-binary, gender variant, and otherwise not cisgender) and live in the United States to participate in my dissertation study! The results of this study will be used to train therapists to provide trans* and genderqueer-affirming therapy. Watch a watch a short 7-minute video of a therapy session and complete an anonymous survey (15-20 minutes).

One lucky winner will be chosen at random to receive a $50 incentive for their participation! Follow the link: http://tinyurl.com/transcommunitystudy

Let your voice be heard! (Cross-posted: Please only take this once)

Do you want to know more before participating? Here's the informed consent!

What is this survey about?

The purpose of this survey is to gain a greater understanding of transgender, transsexual, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and/or gender variant individuals’ perceptions of a therapy session between a therapist and a transgender-identified client. The results of this survey will be used to train therapists to provide transgender-affirming therapy.

Who should participate in this study?

You are eligible to participate if you identify as transgender, transsexual, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, gender variant, or otherwise non-cisgender, are at least 18 year old, and you live in The United States.

What are you asking me to do?

If you choose to complete this anonymous survey, you will be asked to watch a short video of a mock therapy session between a therapist and a transgender client. You will then be asked to respond to questions related to your perceptions of the therapist and the session. In addition, you will be asked to complete some demographic items that will be used for research purposes only (they will not be used for identification). The entire study will take approximately 20 minutes to complete.

How much will I be compensated and how do I get a $50 bonus?

If you are participating via Mturk, you are eligible for payment of $.50. One lucky winner will be chosen at random to receive a $50 bonus for their participation. Approximately 300 participants are anticipated to participate. Your odds of winning are 1 in 300.

(Will be included if resources permit) If you choose to participate directly via Qualtrics you have the option of being entered into a drawing for a $50 Amazon.com gift certificate. After completing the study you will have the option of entering your email address. Your response to the survey will not be linked to your email address. Approximately 300 participants are anticipated to participate. Your odds of winning are 1 in 300.

Other than the possible bonus, why should I take the survey?

Your responses will contribute to the literature about what therapists should do to provide affirming therapy for people who identify as transgender, transsexual, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and/or gender variant. The information collected may be used to train clinicians to provide affirming counseling for those who identify as part of the transgender spectrum.

Are there any risks to participating?

There are no known risks to participating in this research, participation is completely voluntary, and you may choose to end your participation at any time. All information that you provide will be anonymous, and used only for the purposes given here. Survey information will not be released to anyone for any other purposes, unless required by law. The survey instruments will include no identifying information, and the “IP” address of your computer will not be recorded. The only people who will have access to the survey data are the research team members: Jay Bettergarcia, M.A. and Tania Israel, Ph.D. If you have concerns that any of these people could identify you based on your demographic information, you may choose to skip select questions; otherwise, it will be helpful to us if you answer all of the questions.

Who should I contact if I have questions?

If you have any questions or comments regarding this study, please contact Jay Bettergarcia by email (jledbetter@education.ucsb.edu) or Tania Israel by email (tisrael@education.ucsb.edu) or phone (805-893-5008). If you have any questions regarding the rights of research subjects, the UCSB Human Subjects Committee can be contacted at (805-893-3807).

Notte stellata

This study has been approved for posting by the AVEN Project Team.

starrynight
Project Team

Archived