A list of romantic orientations

Alloromantic = person who says “’allo” in a romantic tone of voice

AproRomantic/ Akoi(ne)romantic = person who either experiences romance appropriately, OR person who does not feel romantic toward koi fish

Aroflux = person who doesn’t feel romantic when having bowel problems

Autochorisromantic = person who feels romantic toward themselves when singing in a chorus

Bellusromantic = person who feels romantic when in Belorussia

Frayromantic = person who feels romantic when having a fight

Grayromantic = person who feels romantic toward old people

Gyneromantic = person who feels romantic towards gynecologists

Homoromantic-Person who experiences romantic attractions to people they perceive as the same gender

Hyporomantic = person who feels romantic towards syringes

Idemromantic = person who feels romantic towards people who identify as Democrats

Lithromantic = person who -Person who experiences romantic attraction to others but does not care or does not want that person to reciprocate

Omniaromantic = person who doesn’t feel romantic towards omnivores

Panromantic = person who feels romantic towards cooking implements

Quasiromantic = person who feels romantic toward hunchbacks in novels

Quoiromantic = French person who doesn’t know what they feel romantic toward

Recipromantic = person who feels romantic toward cooking instructions

Requiesromantic = person who feels romantic towards people who shut up and lie down

Sapioromantic = person who feels romantic towards people who are foolish

Transromantic = person who feels romantic towards people who move around a lot

WTFromantic = person who feels romantic towards profane people

What??

'T'was a joke. Mostly a joke.

Mostly a joke, huh? Okaaaay then. I guess I really am humorless

Jesus, that is way too many terms lol.

*shrugs* People are diverse, and some people want very specific labels. Others are fine without specific labels, but it's still good to have respect for others' identities.

I see no point in announcing an identity by using a word which will demand whole paragraphs to explain because no one's ever heard the word before, and at the same time you're using that word, other people are using a zillion other very different words to define the same thing.

• Like 4

I see no point in announcing an identity by using a word which will demand whole paragraphs to explain because no one's ever heard the word before, and at the same time you're using that word, other people are using a zillion other very different words to define the same thing.

I think these terms are more of a use to people who spend large amount of time having to deal with these type of romantics than the average person. IE, it is jargon.

Having to say "a person who experiences romantic attraction to others but does not care or does not want that person to reciprocate" over and over and over again is very inefficient. Saying Aprosexuals, instead, makes discussing issues concerning aprosexuals is much more efficient.

Besides, having a name for what you are is empowering. It makes it feel like you aren't weird or a broken person, but that there are others like you out there and who get you. Sure, it is pointless to use the term aprosexual with a layman, but not all discussions are with laymen and after being introduced to a topic enough they stop being laymen and begin to understand you.

• Like 1

Saying Aprosexuals, instead, makes discussing issues concerning aprosexuals is much more efficient.

Besides, having a name for what you are is empowering. It makes it feel like you aren't weird or a broken person, but that there are others like you out there and who get you. Sure, it is pointless to use the term aprosexual with a layman,

I'm not a layperson -- I've been on AVEN for 7 years. And I had no idea what "aprosexual" meant. You still have to explain it to asexuals.

• Like 2

Some people are taking this way too seriously and are questioning people who use something a little different or new. But why? If it harms none I don't see n issue. Sure, some you'll have to explain many times, but so what? Some people are glad they found something that fits them, like I do. I went through several terms that didn't come even close. And een if it will have to be explained why do you care, Sally, if people do so? They are glad the yfound something for themselves and want people to know as it is. Many accept this, so why does anyone care what they do? I merely wanted all these toaid people who need it and have it in one place and for people who can't/don't want to identify with the basic stuff.

• Like 1

I care because with any campaign to make our diverse selves known as existing, starting out with many dozens of terms is not the way to educate others. People are beginning to "get" the fact that there is such a thing as transsexuality. I think that's because that term is used consistently. As far as how you feel or don't feel romantically, using a short sentence could be much less confusing than a word that makes no sense until someone's explained it (and even then may just sound weird). What's the point? Do we want to invent words per se, or do we want to be clearly known?

• Like 2

I care because with any campaign to make our diverse selves known as existing, starting out with many dozens of terms is not the way to educate others. People are beginning to "get" the fact that there is such a thing as transsexuality. I think that's because that term is used consistently.

As well as asexuality. Those are completely different sexualities, or in this case romantic orientations, that doesn¨t exist only for Asexuals. This is something slightly different, than just Asexuality in itself

I'm one who think there needs to be a limit to labels. I think it would be more productive to teach people that asexuals (or really just people in general) are diverse without labeling everything.

If it were up to me I'd keep terms to the basics

ex.

(a/grey*/hetero/homo/bi/pan) + (sexual/romantic)

*demi would fit under grey

and then of course trans, gay, lesbian, etc that are already established

It's important to keep in mind people don't want to be bombarded with information, especially if they aren't personally invested enough to memorize a dictionary of identities. I suppose it's fine to keep those terms within the community while communicating with other people who are asexual or identify with those labels, but I don't think it's reasonably to expect people to know or learn all of them.

I don't know, I just find having a ridiculous amount terms kind of gives off a bad image, and makes us look like a joke, and I've seen that it has. So yeah, just my opinion, don't shoot. I'm totally getting shot.

• Like 2

I'm one who think there needs to be a limit to labels. I think it would be more productive to teach people that asexuals (or really just people in general) are diverse without labeling everything.

If it were up to me I'd keep terms to the basics

ex.

(a/grey*/hetero/homo/bi/pan) + (sexual/romantic)

*demi would fit under grey

and then of course trans, gay, lesbian, etc that are already established

It's important to keep in mind people don't want to be bombarded with information, especially if they aren't personally invested enough to memorize a dictionary of identities. I suppose it's fine to keep those terms within the community while communicating with other people who are asexual or identify with those labels, but I don't think it's reasonably to expect people to know or learn all of them.

I don't know, I just find having a ridiculous amount terms kind of gives off a bad image, and makes us look like a joke, and I've seen that it has. So yeah, just my opinion, don't shoot. I'm totally getting shot.

Everyone has some opinion, but it's different to make it seem like insisting that more labels are silly or something. Sure, people can feel overwhelmed by too much info at once, but I honestly don¨t see the issue if you explain to your friends you are Ace, or something else. It's just one label. Like I¨d explain only being Ace, unless for some bigger reason. The stuff behind my romantic orientation is my business that helped me and that I'll tell only to the someone who may be my girlfriend.

The thing is that those basic labeles may not describe how someone feels and so they may feel odd about it and just search

I believe labels are useful in whatever community they belong to, like so many types of greyromantic labels being useful within the greater aromantic spectrum community. Outside of that, not so much.

Lost247365

Some of these seem redundant to me but for completeness sake:

Acoromantic- A person whose negative experiences with romance has alienated them from their allo-romanticism.

Adfecturomantic/Affecturomantic/Adfectual/Adfomantic- A person whose romantic attraction is affected by their neurodivergency

Arovague- Someone whose status as an aromantic is uncertain or affected by mood

Caedromantic- A person who used to experience romantic attractions, but no longer does due to past trauma.

Nebularomantic- A person who has a hard time or cannot tell romantic attraction apart from platonic due to being quoiroromantic or due to their neurodivergency.

Post rubor- A person who quickly gets crushes/squishes/etc on others, but after the initial excitement of said crush/etc vanishes so do their feelings.

Zedromantic- Someone not on the Aromantic spectrum. Alternative term for alloromantic.

Non-romantic type terms that you might be interested in listing

Amatonormativity- Tendency of society to treat romantic relationships are more valuable than non-romantic ones.
Lush- A sensual equivalent of a squish or crush

Nonamory- Not wanting to form romantic relationships no matter one's orientation
Peach Fuzz- When people in queer platonic relationships pretend their partnership is a romantic one to stave off questions from family and friends.

Plush-Queer plantoic crush, strong desire to join in a qeer platonic relationship with someone.
Soft Romo- Low level romance/romantic attraction/crush/etc.

Smush-A sexual crush aka Lust

Swish- An aesthetic crush

• Like 1

Some of these seem redundant to me but for completeness sake:

Acoromantic- A person whose negative experiences with romance has alienated them from their allo-romanticism.

Adfecturomantic/Affecturomantic/Adfectual/Adfomantic- A person whose romantic attraction is affected by their neurodivergency

Arovague- Someone whose status as an aromantic is uncertain or affected by mood

Caedromantic- A person who used to experience romantic attractions, but no longer does due to past trauma.

Nebularomantic- A person who has a hard time or cannot tell romantic attraction apart from platonic due to being quoiroromantic or due to their neurodivergency.

Post rubor- A person who quickly gets crushes/squishes/etc on others, but after the initial excitement of said crush/etc vanishes so do their feelings.

Zedromantic- Someone not on the Aromantic spectrum. Alternative term for alloromantic.

Non-romantic type terms that you might be interested in listing

Amatonormativity- Tendency of society to treat romantic relationships are more valuable than non-romantic ones.

Lush- A sensual equivalent of a squish or crush

Nonamory- Not wanting to form romantic relationships no matter one's orientation

Peach Fuzz- When people in queer platonic relationships pretend their partnership is a romantic one to stave off questions from family and friends.

Plush-Queer plantoic crush, strong desire to join in a qeer platonic relationship with someone.

Soft Romo- Low level romance/romantic attraction/crush/etc.

Smush-A sexual crush aka Lust

Swish- An aesthetic crush

Hi :)

Yes, I heard about these, with some I wasn't even sure and stuff like Zedromantic I thought wasn't neccesary, since Allo kinda became the term to use. But I can include them.

Lost247365

Yes, I heard about these, with some I wasn't even sure and stuff like Zedromantic I thought wasn't neccesary, since Allo kinda became the term to use. But I can include them.

It is your list so feel free to add those you want.

I just think this was a very good idea if for nothing else to have a place to see what these words mean when they do pop up :)

Thanks for all the work 8)

It is your list so feel free to add those you want.

I just think this was a very good idea if for nothing else to have a place to see what these words mean when they do pop up :)

Thanks for all the work 8)

That is also true. I will add them.

No biggie, it's been kinda fun finding some of these and actually learning more. I didn't know some ^-^

nerdperson777

More words to describe myself?

Antiromantic, (idk, I treat everyone friendly and probably closer friends a little extra nice), already knew I was queerplatonic.

Is there an opposite term for amatonormativity?

I would in theory like to have an aromate but actually doing it would make me feel awkward. Probably lush someone after the squish phase. Nonamory, yep.

And I have a peach fuzz with my computer.

• Like 1

Borearomantic-A person who has a set romantic orientation but with an exception

Noviromantic-A person who experiences a complicated romantic attraction (or lack thereof) such that they do not feel it can be described in a single term

Apresromantic-A person who only experiences a romantic attraction after another form of attraction is felt. The original attraction may or may not fade/be replaced by the new attraction.

Androalterous/Manalterous*-Alterous attraction to men

Gynealterous/ Womanalterous*-Alterous attraction to women

Proquuromantic- A masculine person who only experiences romantic attractions to those percieved as aslo being masculine.
Abroromantic-A person who experiences a fluid or rapidly changing romantic attraction to different gender expressions.

*Also found a ton of alterous orientations similar to these that seem redundant given that this post is focused on romantic orientations. For instance Homoalterous, heteroalterous, bialterous, pan-alterous, poly-alterous, bi-alterous, etc.

Borearomantic-A person who has a set romantic orientation but with an exception

Noviromantic-A person who experiences a complicated romantic attraction (or lack thereof) such that they do not feel it can be described in a single term

Apresromantic-A person who only experiences a romantic attraction after another form of attraction is felt. The original attraction may or may not fade/be replaced by the new attraction.

Androalterous/Manalterous*-Alterous attraction to men

Gynealterous/ Womanalterous*-Alterous attraction to women

Proquuromantic- A masculine person who only experiences romantic attractions to those percieved as aslo being masculine.

Abroromantic-A person who experiences a fluid or rapidly changing romantic attraction to different gender expressions.

*Also found a ton of alterous orientations similar to these that seem redundant given that this post is focused on romantic orientations. For instance Homoalterous, heteroalterous, bialterous, pan-alterous, poly-alterous, bi-alterous, etc.

I can give those as sub orientation of the Alterous I already have there

I noticed I made a mistake putting the new ones in, but now it is corrected

Thank you for the list. As someone who's only recently identified with being aromantic, this was helpful.

Particularly, I'm going to be looking more into acoromantic and caedromantic.

Thank you for the list. As someone who's only recently identified with being aromantic, this was helpful.

Particularly, I'm going to be looking more into acoromantic and caedromantic.

I'm very glad to hear that, afterall this is why it's here ;)

• Like 1
SpeckledAngel

Not great with quotes, apologies, but you have: "Heteroalterus - Alterous attraction towards the same sex or gender" which I do believe is not consistent with the meaning of that prefix ;)

But oh how I love the alterous definition! Closest thing to what I'm feeling, even if it's not quite right. Will have to do some more research. Thank you for your ongoing work!

EDIT: May I also suggest standardizing the phrasing (some start with "A person" some with "Someone who" some with "is when" etc) when you have time/inclination? I'd do it myself but alas this is not a wiki

Not great with quotes, apologies, but you have: "Heteroalterus - Alterous attraction towards the same sex or gender" which I do believe is not consistent with the meaning of that prefix ;)

But oh how I love the alterous definition! Closest thing to what I'm feeling, even if it's not quite right. Will have to do some more research. Thank you for your ongoing work!

EDIT: May I also suggest standardizing the phrasing (some start with "A person" some with "Someone who" some with "is when" etc) when you have time/inclination? I'd do it myself but alas this is not a wiki

Oh my, I completely missed that. Thank you for pointing it out!

I'll have a look at it during today.

OKay, I admit it took me considerably longer than I said, but I ddi the standarized beginnings of the definitions whenever I could. But it still doesn't seem to be it.

• Like 1

I don't quite get it. Is queerplatonic a romantic orientation?

I have had my first squish * :blush: * and it was so intense that I sometimes thought that I wouldn't mind a relationship with him but then I dismissed the thought because it made me feel weird... I just can't see myself as a lover/someone in a romantic relationship? It seems pointless because I wouldn't want to do anything but hugs and just sitting close to each other. So that feeling, is that queerplatonic? I am still pretty confused.

Pardon my ramble. :lol:

I have had my first squish * :blush: * and it was so intense that I sometimes thought that I wouldn't mind a relationship with him but then I dismissed the thought because it made me feel weird... I just can't see myself as a lover/someone in a romantic relationship? It seems pointless because I wouldn't want to do anything but hugs and just sitting close to each other. So that feeling, is that queerplatonic? I am still pretty confused.

It's fine. Well, not everything on that list is an romantic orientation. I put it there because it still can be relevant to people looking for something to fit them and so as an option. QP isn't really romantic, usually it is described between friendship and romantic. There are several definitions on QP. It can cointain some aspects that can seem romantic, but in itself it is not, it depends on the two parties on what they agree on. Like for example you'd like hugging and that'd be it and that could very well be part of your QP as well as other things as perhaps living together, yet being just best friends.

Not only Aces can have QPR's, but anyone really, it just depends on the people.

Hope this makes sense

• Like 1

It's fine. Well, not everything on that list is an romantic orientation. I put it there because it still can be relevant to people looking for something to fit them and so as an option. QP isn't really romantic, usually it is described between friendship and romantic. There are several definitions on QP. It can cointain some aspects that can seem romantic, but in itself it is not, it depends on the two parties on what they agree on. Like for example you'd like hugging and that'd be it and that could very well be part of your QP as well as other things as perhaps living together, yet being just best friends.

Not only Aces can have QPR's, but anyone really, it just depends on the people.

Hope this makes sense

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I want a queerplatonic relationship hmm... Oh well, I'm not in rush but I do want to find out my romantic orientation... Anyway, thanks for clearing it up. :D

The definition of "biromantic" says ""both genders", which is wrong.

• Like 1

The definition of "biromantic" says ""both genders", which is wrong.

Changed it a little

• Like 1