A list of romantic orientations

I have a question, its silly bit I'm trying to find as to what better explains what I am or how I feel my orientation might be. I don't find myself being attracted a person on sight or just meeting them. But I feel no sexual attraction or attraction till knowing them longer, and if I do it is always with the male sex (I being female). I was just wondering if you could help me. I don't want to label myself asexual or anything else without knowing what else it could be described as.

Well, you never feel sexual attraction, or only when you know someone? If you don't, then you could be asexual, if you do, you could be demisexual. If you mean you are attracted only romantically, you could be heteroromantic. Have a look at those. If they fit, cool, if not, we will look again :)

Wow, I had no idea that there were so many terms for orientations out there. Very interesting. Thanks for posting this

• 1 month later...
Androgynoid Replicant

It freaks me out a bit the number of terms I now need to learn. :o

It freaks me out a bit the number of terms I now need to learn. :o

No one is asking you to know them all and by heart. You really don't have to. I think what any of us can ask is to respect that we may use them, that is all :)

Right now I'm trying to figure out my romantic alignment. After reading your list, never have I felt so educated and confused about something at the same time! :P This is a very informative post and has given me lots to think about, thankyou for doing this. :)

Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

Yay, there's a word for aesthetic crushes! :D

Right now I'm trying to figure out my romantic alignment. After reading your list, never have I felt so educated and confused about something at the same time! :P This is a very informative post and has given me lots to think about, thankyou for doing this. :)

Well, I hope it will ultimately be more helpful than confusing XD

Yay, there's a word for aesthetic crushes! :D

:D

So you don't have a name for emotional attraction "crushes"?

I proposed the word Fathom in another thread, but i suppose your list would require it to be an actual thing among some number of people.

I'd really prefer it if people came up with actual terms with these slang terms for attractions and didn't try to rhyme everything; that creates easy typo misunderstandings and mishearing words because they're too close in sound. Considering the term crush just came from a metaphor, all these terms should really mirror that (and that's where i came up with my term).

Emotional attraction being the fixation on someone because of their emotions, and by extent personality. It does not include wanting to get to know the person; that's a common misconception. I would compare it to a having favorite character or admirance.

• 1 month later...
LearningAboutMe

there are so many... it seems so hard to decide- what "you" are; i can't really describe it; i've neve been one for labels, and yet... I'm glad i have this site. whether i figure out my '-romantic' 'label' or not, at least i'll have you peeps to like me :blush:

• 2 months later...
TiffanyJung

So I guess I'm a requesiromantic?? Jeez this is hard :/

TiffanyJung

Make that a hetero requesi romantic

• 1 month later...

Is there a word for if you like the idea of being romantic with someone but not the idea of who that someone will be? Like, I'm kind of in love with the thought of going on dates and cuddling and being in love in general, but whenever I try to put a face or a name to the other person, I get a little bit nauseous.

• Like 1

Is there a word for if you like the idea of being romantic with someone but not the idea of who that someone will be? Like, I'm kind of in love with the thought of going on dates and cuddling and being in love in general, but whenever I try to put a face or a name to the other person, I get a little bit nauseous.

Cupioromantic...? "not experiencing romantic attraction but still desiring romantic attraction"? You sound like a bit of a dreamer. ^_^

Um, typo. The second romantic attraction should be "a romantic relationship".

But i wouldn't say it's cupio kuz they get nautious. Do you actually desire a romantic relationship for yourself or just think romance is a really nice thing on its own? Perhaps you desire a queerplatonic relationship and not a romantic one.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No, I definitely want a romantic relationship. I have pictured myself going on dates with someone, cuddling someone, and being all sappy, and I WANT that. I just don't want to think about having that with any specific person.

• Like 1

Hmm, romance repulsed cupioromantic? Dunno, never heard of repulsion being specific like yours.

Certainly Gray-aromantic.

Many people feel repulsed or scared when their fantasies become concrete. This is pretty much what happens to anyone who fears intimacy to some degree. Which is a normal fear to have and to overcome with time.

• Like 1

No, I definitely want a romantic relationship. I have pictured myself going on dates with someone, cuddling someone, and being all sappy, and I WANT that. I just don't want to think about having that with any specific person.

• 2 months later...

Have you consulted transgender asexuals to know what they think about the term "transromantic"?
At least here in Brazil,trans aces do not approve of the term.
Validating this term implies that they are not real men and real women. One's atraction is du
e to the other person's gender, not wether they are cis or trans
Trans people ARE men or women, and they only happen to be trans, but first of all they are men or women.

• Like 1

I don't quite get the point of your post; it seems to be both pro and anti for the term you suggest.

Annnnnd... that's 20 "types" of aro that seem like they could potentially apply to me... @_@

Although, I did notice that many seemed to have a lot of overlap, and some seem to function as umbrellas to others. It's things for me to consider, I suppose, and some of them I still need time to figure other things out before I can confirm or deny them.

Just need to determine my what as clearly as I can, and then my why at the root...

There's only one type of aromantic; not desiring a romantic relationship and not getting crushes. No matter what else is with it it's still aro, so there really aren't 20 other titles to consider.

Subtypes, I mean. Nearly all of those on that list are supposed to be part of the aromantic spectrum, aren't they?

I'm just going to stick with biromantic.

"Heteroromantic - Is someone who is attracted to the oppostite sex or gender in a romantic way."

Kinda confused there, can you be asexual and Heteroromantic at the same time? Kinda identifed with that one, but also have zero interest in a sexual attraction, also, does a Heteroromantic means that he/she cares much more about feelings, like they can "love harder than others" ? I'm currently dating a girl and I really really like her, love cuddling/hug her, i would even say i can feel the love ony cheeks lol, she's so cute, shy.... It's like I want her to be so close to me, love hugs.

"Heteroromantic - Is someone who is attracted to the oppostite sex or gender in a romantic way."

Kinda confused there, can you be asexual and Heteroromantic at the same time? Kinda identifed with that one, but also have zero interest in a sexual attraction, also, does a Heteroromantic means that he/she cares much more about feelings, like they can "love harder than others" ? I'm currently dating a girl and I really really like her, love cuddling/hug her, i would even say i can feel the love ony cheeks lol, she's so cute, shy.... It's like I want her to be so close to me, love hugs.

Yes, heteroromantic or otherwise romantic can absolutely be paired with asexuality. That much I do know. ^^

• Like 1
Phantasmal Fingers

What about "alcoholic"? Doesn't that count? :o

Subtypes, I mean. Nearly all of those on that list are supposed to be part of the aromantic spectrum, aren't they?

No. Other than not getting crushes/not desiring a romantic relationship, which is aro no matter the cause, they are all apart of the romantic spectrum. If a relationship is desired at any point that's either a normal romantic or in the Gray spectrum but not aro.

Eventhough asexual/aromantic spectrum is a common phrase it's actually inaccurate and has caused some big problems, so it really needs to be replaced; possibly with subsexual/subromantic spectrum. For one, the term itself doesn't actually refer to asexuality or aromanticism being a spectrum (as said, those are fixed points and cannot be so). The phrase just refers to things in that vicinity on the sexual/romantic spectrum (i.e. asexuality/aromanticism and the gray umbrella). People on the Gray spectrum are just abnormal sexuals/romantics (not that a name for such things is unneeded). Though to be more clear, Gray-sexual/Gray-asexual refers to an abnormal sex-drive (e.g. desiring sex after an unusual amount of time, rarely, etc.) and not abnormal sexual preferences (e.g. fetishes).

Sexual and romantic orientations are two different things; sex and romance are two different things. Romantic orientation just refers to who you get crushes on or desire a romantic relationship with, it has nothing to do with those feelings being stronger or weaker.

• Like 2