A list of romantic orientations

faffinsinley

Why don't you just link people to mogai-archive? They have a pretty huge list of identities people have coined for themselves

• Like 4

Why don't you just link people to mogai-archive? They have a pretty huge list of identities people have coined for themselves

First off, why do people have to go elsewhere? This website is here to help aces. I doN¨t see it as much of a help to be sent elsewhere when it can be here, when this website is for this.

Secondly, I don't know about it! And I'm sure there are more people!

• Like 17

If you want a list of romantic orientations, but in a way that's related to AVEN, you could also use the AVEN wiki as a resource. A quick search found this page about romantic orientations, with links to pages about a few of the major ones on the bottom: http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Romantic_orientation

There are only few. There a far more than that. So, no.

And again, why? Why go elsewhere when you can have all here. This website is made for it. Why don't we have them all here? "Yes, we are an information website, but we are sorry, you have to go elsewhere for this information." Doesn't make sense. Why?

• Like 3
Lost247365

• Abroromantic-A person who experiences a fluid or rapidly changing romantic attraction to different gender expressions.
  • Acoromantic- A person whose negative experiences with romance has alienated them from their allo-romanticism.
  • Adfectual/Adfecturomantic/Affecturomantic/Adfomantic- A person whose romantic attraction is affected by their neurodivergency
  • Adfecturomantic/Affecturomantic/Adfectual/Adfomantic- A person whose romantic attraction is affected by their neurodivergency
  • Adfomantic/Adfectual/Adfecturomantic/Affecturomantic- A person whose romantic attraction is affected by their neurodivergency
  • Aegoromantic/Autochorisromantic- A person with a disconnect between themselves and the target of their romantic attractions/desires.
  • Affecturomantic/Adfomantic/Adfectual/Adfecturomantic- A person whose romantic attraction is affected by their neurodivergency
  • Akoi(ne)romantic /Apromantic/ Aporomantic aka Lithromantic-Person who experiences romantic attraction to others but does not care or does not want that person to reciprocate
  • Alloromantic- A person who experiences Romantic Attractions
  • Alterous-A person who experiences attraction for emotional closeness that cannot be described as being completely/entirely romantic nor platonic. Can be used as an alternative suffix to romantic.
  • Androromantic-A person who experiences romantic attraction to people that they perceive as being male
  • Antiromantic aka Apothiroromantic-A person who does not experiences romantic attraction and does not want others to be romantically involved with them.
  • Apathromantic-A person who is indifferent/apathetic to romantic attraction.
  • Aporomantic/ Apromantic/Akoi(ne)romantic aka Lithromantic-A person who experiences romantic attraction to others but does not care or does not want that person to reciprocate
  • Apothiroromantic aka Antiromantic-A person who does not experiences romantic attraction and does not want others to be romantically involved with them.
  • Apresromantic-A person who only experiences a romantic attraction after another form of attraction is felt. The original attraction may or may not fade/be replaced by the new attraction.
  • Apromantic/ Aporomantic/Akoi(ne)romantic aka Lithromantic-A person who experiences romantic attraction to others but does not care or does not want that person to reciprocate
  • Aroflux- A person whose romantic orienation fluctuates between/or within the romantic and aromantic spectrums.
  • Aromantic-A person who does not experiences romantic attraction
  • Arovague- A person whose status as an aromantic is uncertain or affected by mood
  • Autochorisromantic/Aegoromantic- A person with a disconnect between themselves and the target of their romantic attractions/desires.
  • Bellusromantic- A person who enjoys the endearing aesthetics of romance but does not want a romantic relationship.
  • Biromantic-A person who experiences romantic attractions to people they perceive as one of two different genders
  • Borearomantic-A person who has a set romantic orientation but with an exception
  • Burstromantic-A person who experiences sudden idiopathic and sporadic episodes of romantic attraction.
  • Caedromantic- A person who used to experience romantic attractions, but no longer does due to past trauma.
  • Ceteroromantic/Skolioromantic - A person who experiences romantic attractions toward people that have an a nonbinary gender.
  • Cupioromantic-A person who does not experience romantic attractions but wants to be in a romantic relationship
  • Demiromantic-A person who experiences romantic attraction only after establishing a strong emotional bond
  • Frayromantic- A person who experiences romantic attraction to others inversely proportional to their familiarity with said person.
  • Grayromantic-A person who experiences very little if any romantic attraction
  • Gyneromantic-A Person who experiences romantic attraction to people they perceive as being female
  • Heteroromantic-A person who experiences romantic attractions to people they perceive as different from one's own gender
  • Homoromantic-A person who experiences romantic attractions to people they perceive as the same gender
  • Hyperromantic-A person who experiences a high degree of romantic attractions.
  • Hyporomantic-A person who experiences a low degree of romantic attractions.
  • Idemromantic-A person who cannot distinguish between romantic and platonic attraction
  • Lithromantic aka Apromantic/ Aporomantic/ Akoi(ne)romantic-A person who experiences romantic attraction to others but does not care or does not want that person to reciprocate. (Controversial prefix)
  • Manalterous- Androalterous, an Alterous attraction to men
  • Nebularomantic- A person who has a hard time or cannot tell romantic attraction apart from platonic due to being quoiroromantic or due to their neurodivergency.
  • Noviromantic-A person who experiences a complicated romantic attraction (or lack thereof) such that they do not feel it can be described in a single term
  • Omniaromantic- A person who does not experience romantic, sensual, or aesthetic attractions.
  • Panromantic-A person who experiences romantic attraction to people of any gender
  • Placioromantic- A person who wishes to perform romantic acts toward others, but does not want to receive romantic acts toward themselves.
  • Post rubor- A person who quickly gets crushes/squishes/etc on others, but after the initial excitement of said crush/etc vanishes so do their feelings.
  • Polyromantic-A person who experiences romantic attraction to people they perceive of one of multiple different genders
  • Proquuromantic- A masculine person who only experiences romantic attractions to those percieved as aslo being masculine.
  • Quasiromantic-A person who experiences nontraditional romantic attractions
  • Quoiromantic aka WTFromantic-A person who is not sure if they experience romantic attraction or not.
  • Recipromantic-A person who experiences romantic attraction only after they feel that the other person is romantically attracted to them first
  • Requiesromantic-A person who does not experiences romantic attraction due to emotional exhaustion
  • Sapioromantic - A person who experiences romantic attractions toward people that they perceive as having a high level of intelligence or a keen minds.
  • Schromantic- A person who feels that they experience being both romantic and aromantic at the same time.
  • Skolioromantic/Ceteroromantic - A person who experiences romantic attractions toward people that have an a nonbinary gender.
  • Transromantic-A person who experiences romantic attraction to people that they perceive as being transgender
  • Womanalterous- Gynealterous, an Alterous attraction to women
  • WTFromantic aka Quoiromantic-A person who is not sure if they experience romantic attraction or not.
  • Zedromantic- A person not on the Aromantic spectrum. Alternative term for alloromantic.

These were the ones I could think of and find.

• Like 9

Alloromantic

Heteroromantic

Homoromantic

biromantic

Polyromantic

Panromantic

Grayromantic

Demiromantic

Aromantic

Transromantic

Androromantic

Gyneromantic

WTFromantic

AproRomantic/ Akoi(ne)romantic aka Lithromantic

Requiesromantic

Quasiromantic

Cupioromantic

Idemromantic

Apothiroromantic

Recipromantic

These were the ones I could think of and find. Ill try and edit in definitions.

hey

what does idemromantic and apothiroromantic and Recipromantic mean?

Lost247365

Alloromantic

Heteroromantic

Homoromantic

biromantic

Polyromantic

Panromantic

Grayromantic

Demiromantic

Aromantic

Transromantic

Androromantic

Gyneromantic

WTFromantic

Requiesromantic

Quasiromantic

Cupioromantic

Idemromantic

Apothiroromantic

Recipromantic

hey

Just edited those in.

Idemromantic-Person who cannot distinguish between romantic and platonic attraction

Apothiroromantic-Person who does not experiences romantic attraction and does not want others to be romantically involved with them....aka "anti-romantics" though I think that term sounds a bit offensive myself.

Recipromantic-Person who experiences romantic attraction only after they feel that the other person is romantically attracted to them first

• Like 2

Thank you for you contribution Lost247365! :)

A nice, interesting list. I've not heard of a number of these orientations before. Thanks!

• Like 2

Alloromantic

Heteroromantic

Homoromantic

biromantic

Polyromantic

Panromantic

Grayromantic

Demiromantic

Aromantic

Transromantic

Androromantic

Gyneromantic

WTFromantic

Requiesromantic

Quasiromantic

Cupioromantic

Idemromantic

Apothiroromantic

Recipromantic

hey

Just edited those in.

Idemromantic-Person who cannot distinguish between romantic and platonic attraction

Apothiroromantic-Person who does not experiences romantic attraction and does not want others to be romantically involved with them....aka "anti-romantics" though I think that term sounds a bit offensive myself.

Recipromantic-Person who experiences romantic attraction only after they feel that the other person is romantically attracted to them first

thank you.

'Requiesromantic'? Really? Some of these are very useful terms, some I question the need for (but hey, whatever... just don't expect everyone to know what you're talking about), but 'requiesromantic' honestly sounds ridiculous to me. So, like... a depressed person? Someone who's fed up with relationship drama and has lost interest in romance for a while? Those are not orientations.

Perhaps it does sound odd, but people still may want to use it and actually do use it. That's why it is here.

I personally don¨t really care. If it helps someone, why not?

'Requiesromantic'? Really? Some of these are very useful terms, some I question the need for (but hey, whatever... just don't expect everyone to know what you're talking about), but 'requiesromantic' honestly sounds ridiculous to me. So, like... a depressed person? Someone who's fed up with relationship drama and has lost interest in romance for a while? Those are not orientations.

Perhaps it does sound odd, but people still may want to use it and actually do use it. That's why it is here.

Thing is, they're still gonna have to explain.

"I'm requiesromantic."

"You're what?"

"Requiesromantic."

"What's that mean?"

"Eh... I'm just not really feeling too romantic these days. I'm kinda depressed, and after that whole messy relationship with Jill, I don't even feel like I'd be capable of falling for anyone else for a while. It's like I'm emotionally exhausted, I guess."

"Oh, okay."

Yes, but that is true for many of us

Thing is, they're still gonna have to explain.

"I'm requiesromantic."

"You're what?"

"Requiesromantic."

"What's that mean?"

"Eh... I'm just not really feeling too romantic these days. I'm kinda depressed, and after that whole messy relationship with Jill, I don't even feel like I'd be capable of falling for anyone else for a while. It's like I'm emotionally exhausted, I guess."

"Oh, okay."

Yes, but that is true for many of us

Indeed, fair enough. But things like asexuality or aromanticism are not concepts that are already covered by other terms. People have to explain, because they want others to understand that they're not celibate or ill or bitter or repressed or whatever. It's important that asexuality and similar concepts are understood by society. This 'requiesromantic' thing is a term for something that many people of all orientations already understand: emotional exhaustion and temporarily (or I guess permanently, if the emotional issues are not resolved) not being interested in or capable of romance.

Anyways, I know it's not a term that you personally made up, and I get where you're coming from. Just kinda wondering at what point we really need to stop coming up with terms for things that are already understood.

No I understand you too. But I guess we will see.

Or like Quoi, right? I had to explain that several times now

• Like 4

Quoi... yeah. To be honest, I feel the way I do about 'requiesromantic' about many other terms on the list as well. I guess time will tell whether they catch on or not, and whether people come to understand them without having to ask for a definition.

Well, my intentions starting this topic were to cover all posibilities.

And as for Quoi, well, it is true actually. I can't tell the difference. I questioned myself again now, and came to no conclusion. I can't even really tell what romantic really is. I just don¨t know. And I don¨t know a better word fot it *shrugs*

• Like 3

I think it's cool with the decription. it's helpfull for people like me who arn't really sure where to label myself.

• Like 2

Never heard of idem before. I think I can kinda relate to that... or maybe not...

I'll have to think more about it in the morning.

cosmosredshift7

Could we PLEASE NOT use the phrases 'both/opposite genders/sexes '? It reinforces the idea that gender and sex are binaries, WHICH THEY ARE NOT!

• Like 1

Could we PLEASE NOT use the phrases 'both/opposite genders/sexes '? It reinforces the idea that gender and sex are binaries, WHICH THEY ARE NOT!

No, they are not, but in certain cases they specify the attarcation and simply are part of the definitions

• Like 1
cosmosredshift7

Then we should change the definitions.

For bisexual, I prefer to use Robin Och's definition- "I call myself bisexual because I acknowledge that I have in myself the potential to be attracted – romantically and/or sexually – to people of more than one sex and/or gender, not necessarily at the same time, not necessarily in the same way, and not necessarily to the same degree."

• Like 4
cosmosredshift7

Hetero-liking one/a gender that's different from your own

Homo- liking someone of the same gender as your own

Lost247365

Let me apologize.

I was trying to specifically trying to avoid doing that when I put down my definitions. That is why I said "perceived opposite gender" on my list. I thought that would prevent reinforcing that idea.

Do you have a better suggestion for heteromantic? I can't make changes to the original post but will make the appropriate changes to my list.

• Like 1
Lost247365

@Ghost, I just now saw that you added a few other romantic orientations. If it is okay I will update my own list so both include the same elements.

Homophobes

Ill make those changes.

Homophobes

So we are homophobes for using deifitions that are widely used? Except that sex DOES play a role.

• Like 1
cosmosredshift7

Oh my god I DIDN'T MEAN TO TYPE THAT!!! I don't even know where that came from oh my god what a spelling error I'm sorry I use swipe in my phone keyboard I must have swiped it on accident but oh my god @_@;;;;;;;;

• Like 2
cosmosredshift7

Homophobes

So we are homophobes for using deifitions that are widely used? Except that sex DOES play a role.

Maybe sex or gender, or sex/gender then?

Homophobes

Maybe sex/gender, then?

I guess that could be

cosmosredshift7

If you have a better definition or idea, then propose it; of anyone is uncomfortable with this or it doesn't feel right to them, say so. These definitions should be as accurate as possible.

Can someone explain the difference between "idemromantic" and "quoiromantic"?

Can someone explain the difference between "idemromantic" and "quoiromantic"?

Idemromantics typically have a set (either explicit or subconscious) of "rules" that help them differentiate between a romantic and platonic relationship. Quoiromantics are people that can't, or have trouble, differentiating between platonic, queerplatonic, and romantic feelings/relationships.

• Like 4