And then they ruined it with romance....

Sarika

-Gonna have to agree with those who mentioned the Hobbit - The romance was so forced and I honestly just stared at the screen sometimes just mouthing 'What the fuck?' over and over again. The ONLY thing I liked from those sappy-honest-to-god-they-came-out-of-some-romance-novel moments was the soundtracks that went with it. Everything else was just....ugh. Like c'mon, was Legolas and Gimli's bromance not enough? They didn't have to exchange rocks or give the kiss of death to portray how deep of a relationship they had despite being an elf+dwarf. Friendship love is awesome.

-All the Disney movies. Asides from many of them being historically inaccurate (looking at you, Pocahontas), it also didn't need romance. (Again looking at Pocahontas) I think the only disney movie that I enjoyed thoroughly was Lilo and Stitch.

-So many mangas/animes that I've come across. It's why I'm so picky when it comes to anime/manga now - if it's got unneeded romance then no. Just no.

*This contains spoilers about the movie Pan!*

They ruined it with the Hook and Tigerlily romance! Isn't Tigerlily a child?! (I don't know for sure, but I thought so!) Why did they do that? It was completely unnecessary and the plot could have moved just fine without it. I typically don't mind romance in movies, and sometimes, I actually find it cute. But this one seemed so forced and out of place.

Not about movie studios, but about fanfics: There are so few female characters who are not even interested in a relationship. And then when I see these functionally aromantic* characters in fanfics, falling in love with every character, it is really annoying.

Of course everyone is allowed to write whatever stories they want, but there's something about seeing one of the only characters I've ever identified with suddenly acting like every other character that really irritates me. I just wanna shout "No, she's ours!" :P

Also it always makes me scared that studios will create a sequel in which she suddenly falls in True Love.

*does not mean they're aro in canon, but at least they act that way.

*This contains spoilers about the movie Pan!*

They ruined it with the Hook and Tigerlily romance! Isn't Tigerlily a child?! (I don't know for sure, but I thought so!) Why did they do that? It was completely unnecessary and the plot could have moved just fine without it. I typically don't mind romance in movies, and sometimes, I actually find it cute. But this one seemed so forced and out of place.

Haven't seen Pan, but in the original Disney version she's definitely childlike.

Then again, the actors playing the two characters in this movie are only a year apart in age, so it's not as creepy...

Am I the only one who hated the romance (triangle?) in the walking dead??? I absolutely despised the Rick/Lori/Shane -thingy.

I mean it was just soooo unnecassary and forced that I almost got a concussion from all the facepalming I did while watching them "struggle". I personally was more interested in the apocalyptic world instead of their love problems.

And the whole Glenn Maggie thing was also rather annoying... :(

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

Am I the only one who hated the romance (triangle?) in the walking dead??? I absolutely despised the Rick/Lori/Shane -thingy.

I mean it was just soooo unnecassary and forced that I almost got a concussion from all the facepalming I did while watching them "struggle". I personally was more interested in the apocalyptic world instead of their love problems.

Yeah I didn't like the Rick Lori and Shane thing. I wish it wasn't there.

I was not a fan of the Rick/Lori/Shane triangle, either. I thought it was annoying; most especially because I really hated Shane, but also because I found it ultimately unnecessary. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of any sort of romance in post-apocalyptic stuff. I would much rather see the characters focus on surviving and combating other issues than dealing with that sort of thing.

I was not a fan of the Rick/Lori/Shane triangle, either. I thought it was annoying; most especially because I really hated Shane, but also because I found it ultimately unnecessary. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of any sort of romance in post-apocalyptic stuff. I would much rather see the characters focus on surviving and combating other issues than dealing with that sort of thing.

YES YES YES! This is what bothers me too! I mean there are a lot more important things to concentrate on than...welll y'know. Otherwise I feel like it gets a little ridiculous...

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

I liked Shane, he was pretty much Rick just a season ahead of him. I would have rather them explore Rick and Shane's friendship instead of the Triangle and Rick thinking Shane was doing bad stuff. Seriously if you watch it Rick in season 2 acts like Shane season one same with Rick in 3 acting like Shane in 2

I liked Shane, he was pretty much Rick just a season ahead of him. I would have rather them explore Rick and Shane's friendship instead of the Triangle and Rick thinking Shane was doing bad stuff. Seriously if you watch it Rick in season 2 acts like Shane season one same with Rick in 3 acting like Shane in 2

Yes, I also think that Rick and Shane's friendship would have been a more interesting theme to explore. :mad: Though I have to admit I didn't like Shane at all, but really loved Rick. Sure Rick got tougher and such but I never saw him as crazy and mentally unstable as Shane. (At least not until Lori died...)

Anyone who messes with Sherlock Holmes. Not just BBC Sherlock you young'uns, I'm talkin Doyle Holmes here. I'm looking at you, Downey Jr. movies! And you, Private Life of Sherlock Holmes! The dude doesn't want it man, accept it and quit messing with one of the few characters I can emotionally relate to.

And fandoms. All of them. Why can't I just read a nice little fic where Mr Wrench and Mr Numbers from Fargo go on a murder filled buddy henchman roadtrip together? WHY MUST THEY ALL BE BONING-CENTRIC? C'mon!

Speaking of Fargo, I'd like to give an example of the opposite of this topic. The coupling that happens in the first season I was 100% for and wanted it to happen since day one. Not gonna name names cuz possible spoilers but damn they're adorable.

Edit: I just remembered. Cooper from Twin Peaks. But I think most romantics who are fans of the show agree with that one.

Ugh, speaking of Sherlock that romance between Mycroft and 'Joan' Watson in Elementary is just plain wrong. I would sooner barf in my own shoes and wear them than witness that again.

V for Vendetta.

I am so sick of characters being "humanised" by romantic love.

Also for the maze runner, the fandom arguing over which of the two main females should be with the main character.

Legend, especially the second book. ( it's a YA dystopia that manages to show the world outside America, yet can't show relationships without romantic complications)

Yep, they ruined The Hobbit perfectly with that forced romance. Tauriel could've been a cool, ass-kicking, strong female character, but nooooo she had to fall in love. It would've been cool if she had made many friends and allies but nooo of course not. And I was somewhat annoyed by Divergent too. Tris is cool in the books, except for the romance. I don't know if anyone else is annoyed by that but I am. And in the books, Tris is 16, Four is 18. In the movies, Tris is still 16, Four is 24. So yeah, it would've been better if they had been very close friends, instead of romantic partners. I'm usually not very annoyed by romance in books or movies, but when it's forced and it feels like it's shoved down your throat...

*POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!*

Eh... I was never that much a fan of the Divergent series. I never liked Four really, but I did find Eric's character kind of interesting once they revealed his more Erudite nature in the books.

I did like the Hunger Games though, until they ruined it by making Peeta and Katniss get together in the end. Like, I get that he had feelings for her but... Why did they have to get together? My perfect ending to the Hunger Games would've been Katniss telling Peeta that she wasn't capable of loving anyone in that way, after which he would eventually get over and they'd end up looking after a drunken old Haymitch together AS FRIENDS.

I don't know if anyone else has already said it, but . . . the TV show Bones. I used to watch that a lot with my mom when I was younger and then stopped for awhile--never that much of a fan, but it was okay, you know? The other day I caught one of the newer episodes and Bones and Booth are together and nahhh. Granted, I think it might have been okay, but I really don't think the actors are pulling it off very well . . . .

magazine-smiles

I don't know if anyone else has already said it, but . . . the TV show Bones. I used to watch that a lot with my mom when I was younger and then stopped for awhile--never that much of a fan, but it was okay, you know? The other day I caught one of the newer episodes and Bones and Booth are together and nahhh. Granted, I think it might have been okay, but I really don't think the actors are pulling it off very well . . . .

I agree with this. (I also feel the same way about Mulder & Scully on TXF...)

It's a shame because I used to watch Bones regularly, and it was one of my favorite shows. But after Booth and Brennan started dating, I just couldn't stomach it anymore. I hated how Booth became such a prick to her and just...very high strung. Too much bickering, and not the playful banter anymore. Their dynamic was ruined for me.

Dodecahedron314

Not necessarily something that ruined the whole movie for me, because Interstellar was frigging amazing IMO, but even though I tried really hard when Dr. Brand (the younger) was going on about "love transcends time and space" and whatever to not do the thing I do when things like this happen in movies where I make really aggravated hand gestures and irritatedly stage-whisper "really? REALLY???" until people start laughing at me and I realize I should probably stop now, I did it anyway. I tried not to, really I did...but it didn't work.

Not necessarily something that ruined the whole movie for me, because Interstellar was frigging amazing IMO, but even though I tried really hard when Dr. Brand (the younger) was going on about "love transcends time and space" and whatever to not do the thing I do when things like this happen in movies where I make really aggravated hand gestures and irritatedly stage-whisper "really? REALLY???" until people start laughing at me and I realize I should probably stop now, I did it anyway. I tried not to, really I did...but it didn't work.

Oh holy crap, yes! That part was so ridiculous, really took me out of the movie.

• 3 weeks later...

*POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!*

Eh... I was never that much a fan of the Divergent series. I never liked Four really, but I did find Eric's character kind of interesting once they revealed his more Erudite nature in the books.

I did like the Hunger Games though, until they ruined it by making Peeta and Katniss get together in the end. Like, I get that he had feelings for her but... Why did they have to get together? My perfect ending to the Hunger Games would've been Katniss telling Peeta that she wasn't capable of loving anyone in that way, after which he would eventually get over and they'd end up looking after a drunken old Haymitch together AS FRIENDS.

I've actually seen quite a few people head cannon kat is as aro. It definitely comes across more in the books, but I see the ending as more of a qpp relationship for katniss (although peeta would view it as romo)

• 2 months later...

I like the headcanon of Katniss being aro very much. It really fits her character and everything. In Divergent, I liked Four at first but when he and Tris became a pair, I just lost my genuine interest in his character. Oh well, everything has romance nowadays, you just have to learn to live with it, I guess.

Not sure about ruining, but a recent Coke ad reminded me of this.
How many ads that try to be positive and talk about "positive life moments" have a situation where, for example, there's one bite of food left and a guy is taking it and then a girl is there and wants it and he hands it to her and then there's this Super Significant moment where they just look each other in the eyes and smile and it's supposed to be so romantic and holy run-on sentence Batman!

But this ad did it with preteens and that was even more annoying.

Ace of Amethysts

It`s pretty crushing that so many people still believe that romance and sex are the height of human pleasure, and that anyone who doesn`t experience either of those is basically a sociopath. :(

• 4 weeks later...

I dunno about fandom, but they ruined life with romance.

Also I'm kinda sad that I can't find a single aro or ace character in Star Trek. Like, most of the characters kiss girls at some point in the show, although I think Sulu should be canonically gay.

Dodecahedron314

Also I'm kinda sad that I can't find a single aro or ace character in Star Trek. Like, most of the characters kiss girls at some point in the show, although I think Sulu should be canonically gay.

If they would have just not included the whole Pon Farr thing (which I found really disappointing when I first discovered its existence), we could most likely claim Spock, but considering the entire can of worms that thread opened up in Musirants a while back, it's probably better to avoid repeating that whole discourse again.

If they would have just not included the whole Pon Farr thing (which I found really disappointing when I first discovered its existence), we could most likely claim Spock, but considering the entire can of worms that thread opened up in Musirants a while back, it's probably better to avoid repeating that whole discourse again.

I dunno, I found pon farr to be pretty reasonable, considering Vulcan would probably never engage in any sort of relationship necessary to procreate if given the choice.

That being said, Spock still can be asexual, because he didn't seem very invested in the relationship? The biological need for sex doesn't define sexual attraction to a person.

Aaand...shutting up now...

Dodecahedron314

I dunno, I found pon farr to be pretty reasonable, considering Vulcan would probably never engage in any sort of relationship necessary to procreate if given the choice.

That being said, Spock still can be asexual, because he didn't seem very invested in the relationship? The biological need for sex doesn't define sexual attraction to a person.

Aaand...shutting up now...

Eh, I would think it would have made more sense for there to just be a different mechanic of reproduction altogether that completely avoids the need for relationships of any kind for that to happen. But maybe that's just me.

Argh. Look at me being hypocritical and furthering the discussion that I brought up specifically in order to try to avoid starting... -_-

Skipper Valvoline

Well, I'm going to stand up for the Avengers.

I love what they did in Age of Ultron, and here's why.

Before the movie, everyone was all "OMG, Black Widow and Hawkeye!" pairing them up immediately. Age of Ultron destroyed that pairing. Yes, both those characters have romantic relationships/interests, but not with each other. Mrs. Barton is not a main character. Bruce Banner is, but after the ending I'm not sure when he'll be returning to them. The point is, the main focus on these two AVENGERS flies in the face of most media: that a guy and a girl can't be friends. They are canonically BEST FRIENDS. Stated on multiple occasions. And, they have STAYED that way. To have a male/female friendship portrayed so clearly in some of the most popular movies in America right now gives me hope for humanity.

And I have more positive things to say on Natasha and Bruce's romance, but here is not the place.

For me, it's the Shadowhunters series. I couldn't even finish it because I got so bored. (Maybe that's a good thing what with that lawsuit going on now.) But honestly, I remember all of the secondary characters as so interesting and the books focus on the most boring, convoluted hetero couple in the universe. I would read a book series twice as long as the Shadowhunters about watching paint dry before I'd read a paragraph of Jace and Clary making out unnecessarily. <_<

Dodecahedron314

Well, I'm going to stand up for the Avengers.

I love what they did in Age of Ultron, and here's why.

Before the movie, everyone was all "OMG, Black Widow and Hawkeye!" pairing them up immediately. Age of Ultron destroyed that pairing. Yes, both those characters have romantic relationships/interests, but not with each other. Mrs. Barton is not a main character. Bruce Banner is, but after the ending I'm not sure when he'll be returning to them. The point is, the main focus on these two AVENGERS flies in the face of most media: that a guy and a girl can't be friends. They are canonically BEST FRIENDS. Stated on multiple occasions. And, they have STAYED that way. To have a male/female friendship portrayed so clearly in some of the most popular movies in America right now gives me hope for humanity.

And I have more positive things to say on Natasha and Bruce's romance, but here is not the place.

I totally support the idea of destroying the Widow/Hawkeye romantic pairing because their relationship has always come off as very queerplatonic to me, and I agree that that kind of extremely close platonic bond is something that desperately needs representation in media whether you interpret it as queerplatonic or as best friends, but I personally am of the opinion that this was not the way to do it. I think just showing Clint's family would have been enough, tbh. On the one hand, I kind of hope that Bruce doesn't show back up quite yet so this doesn't get revisited anytime soon (especially in Civil War, because that would be the most unbelievable misplacement of priorities ever with everything that's going to be happening in that movie judging from the trailers), but on the other hand he's one of my favorite characters so I'm not quite sure how I'd feel about that.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I think the scene in the Lord of the Rings where the Elf queen speaks with the character who subsequently goes on to become king (sorry! As a 50-something, names evade me!) is very beautiful because the sound of the Elf language is lovely, like some poem or song, but I see it more as lovely music, not romance.....

Archived