I'm Heart, your friendly neighbourhood admin!

Heart

Dodecahedron314

Open spoiler for supremist joke made by my math professor this month:

Professor does example on the board where we have to prove the statement is true for all positive real numbers. He talks about pseudo-mathematicians because they just prove by case but does not imply that it works for all numbers. He said, "I could call them physicists."

SHOTS FIRED

It's not our fault that general relativity and quantum mechanics don't play nicely with each other...we're working on it, okay?

(I love how I'm saying "we" like I'm an actual physicist who's working on this problem right now and not somebody who just barely got done taking their physics IB exams...)

(But also, this is why I'm considering a math double major, just in case ;) )

Here's another old one, then. :)

An engineering major sees a classmate riding up on a new bike and asks when she got it. "I was walking back from the computer lab when the most handsome man I had ever seen rode up on this bike, stopped, took all his clothes off and said to me 'I'll give you what you really want, baby.'

"Good choice!" the friend replies. "The clothes probably wouldn't have fit you."

That. Is. So. Beautiful!

I literally couldn't help but burst out laughing, my partner is giving me weird looks now :P

Open spoiler for supremist joke made by my math professor this month:

Professor does example on the board where we have to prove the statement is true for all positive real numbers. He talks about pseudo-mathematicians because they just prove by case but does not imply that it works for all numbers. He said, "I could call them physicists."

SHOTS FIRED

It's not our fault that general relativity and quantum mechanics don't play nicely with each other...we're working on it, okay?

(I love how I'm saying "we" like I'm an actual physicist who's working on this problem right now and not somebody who just barely got done taking their physics IB exams...)

(But also, this is why I'm considering a math double major, just in case ;) )

Hey, we are working on it! I worked on it for a year as my undergrad thesis... and didn't get far, but hey, if an undergrad could have solved it, then it'd be solved by now :P Instead, I switched into particle physics... there's more funding in this one ;)

littlepersonparadox

Hey, we are working on it! I worked on it for a year as my undergrad thesis... and didn't get far, but hey, if an undergrad could have solved it, then it'd be solved by now :P Instead, I switched into particle physics... there's more funding in this one ;)

You made the bike choice.

My wallet agrees -_-

Calligraphette_Coe

Infinitely many mathematicians walk into a bar. The first says, "I'll have a beer." The second says, "I'll have half a beer." The third says, "I'll have a quarter of a beer." The bartender pulls out just two beers. The mathematicians are all like, "That's all you're giving us?! How drunk do you expect us to get on that?" The bartender says, "Come on guys. Know your limits."

I startled the puppies by letting out a good loud chuckle at that one :D

They are now giving you the puppy eyes ;)

Anthracite_Impreza

I've obviously only just read this because wow you work at CERN .___. I live physics, especially quantum physics, and at one point I wanted to be a physicist :P I took it at A level but unfortunately failed cos of crap teachers and my dyscalculia; why so much maths? :(

Infinitely many mathematicians walk into a bar. The first says, "I'll have a beer." The second says, "I'll have half a beer." The third says, "I'll have a quarter of a beer." The bartender pulls out just two beers. The mathematicians are all like, "That's all you're giving us?! How drunk do you expect us to get on that?" The bartender says, "Come on guys. Know your limits."

:D

Then they could have had people ask for one beer, 1/2 of a beer, 1/3 of a beer, 1/4 of one, 1/5 of one ...

Then what? ;)

Calligraphette_Coe

Infinitely many mathematicians walk into a bar. The first says, "I'll have a beer." The second says, "I'll have half a beer." The third says, "I'll have a quarter of a beer." The bartender pulls out just two beers. The mathematicians are all like, "That's all you're giving us?! How drunk do you expect us to get on that?" The bartender says, "Come on guys. Know your limits."[/size]

:D

Then they could have had people ask for one beer, 1/2 of a beer, 1/3 of a beer, 1/4 of one, 1/5 of one ...

Then what? ;)

Ah! The diverging series!

....and the bartender said, "Hey! Get outta here! What? Are you guys trying to ruin me?!

LOLs. Yep.

So the mathematicians go to the bar across the street. It has two bartenders. The math peeps then queue into two lines, and the pouring of beers starts. Now we have two infinite lines of mathematicians (yet both lines are themselves infinite, so we have twice as many patrons as before, no?). :P

The first line has orders for one beer, 1/3, 1/5, 1/7, ... or (1/2n-1).

The second line has orders for 1/2 of a beer, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8, ... or (1/2n).

We still have the same divergent series as before, just split up into two. As expected, both bartenders will need to pour an infinite amount of beer each.

If both bartenders pour an infinite amount of beer, what is the difference in beer poured between them?

Serious question is serious.

Calligraphette_Coe

LOLs. Yep.

So the mathematicians go to the bar across the street. It has two bartenders. The math peeps then queue into two lines, and the pouring of beers starts. Now we have two infinite lines of mathematicians (yet both lines are themselves infinite, so we have twice as many patrons as before, no?). :P

The first line has orders for one beer, 1/3, 1/5, 1/7, ... or (1/2n-1).

The second line has orders for 1/2 of a beer, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8, ... or (1/2n).

We still have the same divergent series as before, just split up into two. As expected, both bartenders will need to pour an infinite amount of beer each.

If both bartenders pour an infinite amount of beer, what is the difference in beer poured between them?

Serious question is serious.

Hmmmm..... I think you've got me on this one. I have some non-serious answers, like '42' or 'about 2 degrees C' or 'one of the bartenders was Fourier'.

Does the answer have something to do with cardinality?

Interesting idea. But actually, it does not involve cardinality as far as I know. And there is just one correct answer as far as I can figure. ;)

Calligraphette_Coe

Interesting idea. But actually, it does not involve cardinality as far as I know. And there is just one correct answer as far as I can figure. ;)

Ok, so we're still talking about working with infinitesimals and not number theory, then?

(I kinda suck at calculus, having let MathCad do all the heaving lifting when I used to need it, so I'm not amongst the infinite mathemeticians in those lines. Ergo, I can't get in trouble for drinking and deriving.:)

Actually, kind of both. And I am presently drinking and deriving, so I will put us all out of our misery. :P

Infinity can be a funny thing. We split the infinite line of mathematicians into two queues, yet each line is infinite. And although they are being poured an ever decreasing amount of beer, they will be served an infinite amount of beer in both queues (perhaps this is a mathematical split infinitive).

Yet, the queue being served by Rodd (one beer, 1/3, 1/5, 1/7...) will still be served more beer than that of Steven (1/2, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8... of a beer), and by a specific amount. Indeed, it is not until both lines have been served an infinite amount of beer that will be served by Rodd exceed the infinite amount of beer that will be served by Steven by the exact amount in question. Yes, both values are infinite, but one infinity will exceed the other infinity by a specific amount.

Certainly, the first round will have Rodd pouring one beer and Steven pouring one half, so Rodd has poured more than Steven. The second round will have Rodd pouring one third (total of 4/3 of a beer so far) of a beer to Steven's one quarter, for a total of 3/4 so far. Rodd is still ahead.

And so on. The total for the third round has Rodd at 1 + 1/3 + 1/5 = 1.5333... and Steven at 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/6 = 0.91666...

We could tally the totals as we go along. Here is a plot for the first ten thousand rounds:

Inf_Beers.jpg

The thick black line is the running total for Rodd (Odd); the thin black line is the running total for Steven (Even). They use the left-hand y-axis (Total Beers). Note that after ten thousand mathematicians each, neither has poured a total of six beers. The thick grey line is the difference between the two. It uses the right-hand axis (Delta). This is greatly zoomed in. This difference is rising, but it seems to be leveling off. The thin grey line is the natural logarithm of 2. It seems that it may have an asymptote there.

This would suggest that the sums of Steven (1/2n) subtracted from that of Rodd (1/2n-1), would equate to:

split_infinitive.jpg

Mathematica agrees:

mthmca.jpg

But why? And how can we be sure?

Well, if we sum up each round as the come, subtracting the pours from Steven from those of Rodd, we get:

1 - 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/4 + 1/5 - 1/6 + ...

After I asked the "what's the difference" question yesterday, I had to think. But then I recalled a particular Maclaurin series for a particular log function. It is:

logseries.jpg

Here, if we let x = 1, then the left and right sides of the equation becomes:

Beer_Result.jpg

And we have verified our result. The difference between the infinite amount of beers poured by Rodd and Steven is the natural logarithm of two beers.

Calligraphette_Coe

Infinity can be a funny thing. We split the infinite line of mathematicians into two queues, yet each line is infinite. And although they are being poured an ever decreasing amount of beer, they will be served an infinite amount of beer in both queues (perhaps this is a mathematical split infinitive).

Warning: what follows are the meanderings of a mathematical dilettante.

As is often the case when I get these kind of sticky memes like 'split infinity', I wake up in the middle of the night with an answer or more questions; in this case, this was like an example of 'instances' in database theory. It was like there was a perfectly good reason for there to be two or more instances of infinity, because after all, infinity is NOT a number, but an idea. And a rather slippery one, sometimes, at that.

So when my mind rebelled a bit at different infinities (like saying "Let epsilon equal zero"), I said to self, "Self... you know how Euler's work gives you both pain and ecstacy, doesn't it seem quite fitting that this should work out to be the natural logarithm of 2." And that there then seemed nothing wrong at all about there being infinite instances of infinity. And that it didn't *necessarily* follow that infinity divided by infinity should be an identity.

Anyway......

Here's a joke I coined amongst my long lost band of designers from Christmas Past:

"In this group, we work in 5 dimensions- Length, Width, Depth, How Soon, and How Much."

--- the last two usually being demanded by managers as being infinitesimals.

butterflydreams

:lol: oh my god, Kelly!

Actually, kind of both. And I am presently drinking and deriving, so I will put us all out of our misery. :P

Yet, the queue being served by Rodd (one beer, 1/3, 1/5, 1/7...) will still be served more beer than that of Steven (1/2, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8... of a beer), and by a specific amount. Indeed, it is not until both lines have been served an infinite amount of beer that will be served by Rodd exceed the infinite amount of beer that will that will be served by Steven by the exact amount in question. Yes, both values are infinite, but one infinity will exceed the other infinity by a specific amount.

Certainly, the first round will have Rodd pouring one beer and Steven pouring one half, so Rodd has poured more than Steven. The second round will have Rodd pouring one third (total of 4/3 of a beer so far) of a beer to Steven's one quarter, for a total of 3/4 so far. Rodd is still ahead.

And so on. The total for the third round has Rodd at 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 = 1.5333... and Steven at 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/6 = 0.91666...

We could tally the totals as we go along. Here is a plot for the first ten thousand rounds:

Inf_Beers.jpg

The thick black line is the running total for Rodd (Odd); the thin black line is the running total for Steven (Even). They use the left-hand y-axis (Total Beers). Note that after ten thousand mathematicians each, neither has poured a total of six beers. The thick grey line is the difference between the two. It uses the right-hand axis (Delta). This is greatly zoomed in. This difference is rising, but it seems to be leveling off. The thin grey line is the natural logarithm of 2. It seems that it may have an asymptote there.

This would suggest that the sums of Steven (1/2n) subtracted from that of Rodd (1/2n-1), would equate to:

split_infinitive.jpg

Mathematica agrees:

mthmca.jpg

Well, if we sum up each round as the come, subtracting the pours from Steven from those of Rodd, we get:

After I asked the "what's the difference" question yesterday, I had to think. But then I recalled a particular Maclaurin series for a particular log function. It is:

logseries.jpg

Beer_Result.jpg

And we have verified our result. The difference between the infinite amount of beers poured by Rodd and Steven is the natural logarithm of two beers.

MIND. BLOWN.

I LOVE YOU ALL!

Seriously, I tried to work that out myself (on a napkin in the long standing tradition of physics) and I almost got there. I got the infinite series that was the logarithm's taylor series, but I didn't recognise it as a taylor series! I guess this is what experience will do for you. I may be working at CERN, but Kelly's experience simply beats me ;)

:cake: for you all!

I've obviously only just read this because wow you work at CERN .___. I live physics, especially quantum physics, and at one point I wanted to be a physicist :P I took it at A level but unfortunately failed cos of crap teachers and my dyscalculia; why so much maths? :(

That's cool, I only just put it up anyway ;)

I read that at first as "I love physics", and then re-read it for what it says, "I live physics", and then thought to myself "yup. Accurate. I live physics too" ;)

I'm really sorry you had a bad math/physics teacher :( My teacher in high school was who inspired me to go into physics. She was amazing! It really is the teachers that make or break a class and subject for me. I've since had all sorts of teachers and professors, but it's worth pushing through. If you love it, then you'll make it! :cake:

Calligraphette_Coe

This thread made me think of someone I miss terribly.

A lot of times when I need to do engineering math, I first check with a book known to many: Machinery's Handbook. In its bound form, most versions go to 2600 pages. It has everything from formulas to use to make your own custom gear hobs to safe rotational speeds of various cutters. It has a lot of worked out examples and literally thousands of tables for things such as how many circular entities will fit in a common-sized single circular entity.

The copy that remains enshrined one of my many bookshelves was a gift from a female engineer who died young about 10 years ago. She had just gotten a new copy and gave me her old one, since at that point in time, I was a little down on my luck with medical bills and financing a recovery. As often happens in the field, Jude would sometimes encounter chauvanism so felt the need to somewhat macsulinize her given name or use her first initial. So, this copy of Machinery's Handbook is marked and memorialized with her first initial, "J" and last name in blue sharpie ink on the bottom page face.

Just another sad story about the difficulties some of us who color outside the dominant gender culture norms know too well.....

:::::tears of remembrance::::::

I am not a physicist or mathematician of any kind (more of a languages person myself, math and I can't stand each other) but let me just say that all of you rock.

Thanks KEW! For the record, I'm pretty sure you rock too ;)

And Zen, that's heart-breaking. I'm so glad you have her book to remember her by. I'm sure that is what she would like; to be remembered as a competent and wonderful engineer, not as the butt of chauvinism and discrimination. Sometimes, the most beautiful flowers are those who grow in a desert.

Dodecahedron314

Yet, the queue being served by Rodd (one beer, 1/3, 1/5, 1/7...) will still be served more beer than that of Steven (1/2, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8... of a beer), and by a specific amount. Indeed, it is not until both lines have been served an infinite amount of beer that will be served by Rodd exceed the infinite amount of beer that will be served by Steven by the exact amount in question. Yes, both values are infinite, but one infinity will exceed the other infinity by a specific amount.

And so on. The total for the third round has Rodd at 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 = 1.5333... and Steven at 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/6 = 0.91666...

Inf_Beers.jpg

split_infinitive.jpg

Mathematica agrees:

mthmca.jpg

logseries.jpg

Beer_Result.jpg

Dang it, where was this post two months ago when I was learning sequences and series? I probably could have distracted my math teacher for half the class period by bringing this up! :lol: I also like how the two infinite lines of mathematicians is vaguely reminiscent of Hilbert's hotel paradox.

littlepersonparadox

Geeze I'm surrounded by geeks. This feels good. My maths are decent and I try to pick up new maths all the time but my formal math education is high school then set theory, Boolean logic, and calculating IP addresses for networks. I'm gonna do bachelors of computer security hopefully so that would be good however they are going to make me take more maths so I can learn cryptography. I look forepward to that.

Dodecahedron314

Geeze I'm surrounded by geeks. This feels good. My maths are decent and I try to pick up new maths all the time but my formal math education is high school then set theory, Boolean logic, and calculating IP addresses for networks. I'm gonna do bachelors of computer security hopefully so that would be good however they are going to make me take more maths so I can learn cryptography. I look forepward to that.

Oooo, cryptography sounds cool. I'll probably end up taking a class or two in it myself as a physics major, because it's one of the biggest incentives for developing quantum computers. I considered doing my math IA on it, then realized it was a bit too reliant upon prior knowledge for me to be able to pick it up in a month or two, and did something involving Fourier transforms instead--which I also had little prior knowledge of, but it was a lot easier to pick up in that amount of time than cryptography. (Of course, the prior knowledge thing was also a very real obstacle when I wrote a topology paper last summer, and as far as I know I somehow probably hopefully managed to sound vaguely like I had some idea of what I was doing, maybe. Roger Penrose made it sound easy enough...)

Another physics major! :) That sounds awesome, Dodec.

Oooo, cryptography sounds cool. I'll probably end up taking a class or two in it myself as a physics major, because it's one of the biggest incentives for developing quantum computers. I considered doing my math IA on it, then realized it was a bit too reliant upon prior knowledge for me to be able to pick it up in a month or two, and did something involving Fourier transforms instead--which I also had little prior knowledge of, but it was a lot easier to pick up in that amount of time than cryptography. (Of course, the prior knowledge thing was also a very real obstacle when I wrote a topology paper last summer, and as far as I know I somehow probably hopefully managed to sound vaguely like I had some idea of what I was doing, maybe. Roger Penrose made it sound easy enough...)

Paradox, those sound like really cool kinds of math! I have previously done mostly linear algebra, calculus, and PDEs... I've never taken a formal course on set theory (though I wish I could! There isn't enough time to take all the courses I want to take...), or even Boolean logic.

And I also want to take crypotgraphy... TOO MANY COOL THINGS TO LEARN ABOUT!!! I did my math IA on something silly like modelling sunrise times and I wish I'd done fourier transforms, they're so much more useful :P

Dodecahedron314

Paradox, those sound like really cool kinds of math! I have previously done mostly linear algebra, calculus, and PDEs... I've never taken a formal course on set theory (though I wish I could! There isn't enough time to take all the courses I want to take...), or even Boolean logic.

And I also want to take crypotgraphy... TOO MANY COOL THINGS TO LEARN ABOUT!!! I did my math IA on something silly like modelling sunrise times and I wish I'd done fourier transforms, they're so much more useful :P

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT YOU WERE AN IB STUDENT WHAT :O

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT YOU WERE AN IB STUDENT WHAT :o

I got a 42 ;)

I took Physics HL, Math SL (they didn't even offer HL in my school, and they also wouldn't let me take more HLs :P ), Biology HL, French HL (though I had to test on the SL one because IB has rules about how many HLs you're allowed to take; so I am bilingual but took the SL exams... -.- ), History HL, English HL... And of course TOK, and I did my EE in biology.

Wow, I had to really think about that. It's been forever.

littlepersonparadox

I got a 42 ;)

I took Physics HL, Math SL (they didn't even offer HL in my school, and they also wouldn't let me take more HLs :P ), Biology HL, French HL (though I had to test on the SL one because IB has rules about how many HLs you're allowed to take; so I am bilingual but took the SL exams... -.- ), History HL, English HL... And of course TOK, and I did my EE in biology.

I have no idea what those letters mean. However it sounds good. I'm going to have to look up fourier transforms, i haven't heard of them before.

I got a 42 ;)

I have no idea what those letters mean. However it sounds good. I'm going to have to look up fourier transforms, i haven't heard of them before.

HL stands for "higher level" and SL stands for "standard level"; you have to chose a minimum of three and a maximum of four "higher levels" and the rest of what you take are usually "standard levels". The only difference is that you cover a few more topics in higher levels, and in more depth ;)

Dodecahedron314

I got a 42 ;)

I had to take English and History HL because that's how my school does it. Then there was Math HL, which ended up being a class of a grand total of 5 people, with me as the only "girl" (ha. hahaha.), and Physics HL, which didn't technically exist so I had to cajole administration into making it a thing under the SL teacher basically by saying it would help me win a Nobel Prize or something. My SLs were Spanish and Music, and then there was TOK obviously. My EE was that topology paper I keep alluding to. Why I thought writing a paper on a topic that even MIT considers to be graduate-level was a good idea as a high school junior, I have no idea. I'll find out my scores on all of that on 6 July (I even write the date the IB way now, I think that's the sign of true brainwashing). Fingers crossed... :unsure:

Also, I'd just like to say that everyone I've ever known has said that a 42 is physically impossible. The highest anyone's ever gotten from my school so far is 39, and the girl who got that is still to this day a minor legend (she graduated my freshman year). So few people have gotten 7s in the sciences that the chem/bio teacher literally has huge banners hanging in his classroom for the three or four people who actually did it--not even that one legendary guy from my school who went to MIT* managed it (although 39-girl did). And we've had IB for...8 years now? I got 6s in both of my SLs, so I suppose it might still be possible to get a 42 depending on how many "extra" marks I get from TOK and my EE, but I'm not holding my breath, let's put it that way.

* According to my underclassman friends, apparently I am this "generation" of IB kids' equivalent of this guy now, by virtue of taking Physics and Math HL and getting a full ride to <redacted reasonably well-known university that isn't MIT but is still practically an Ivy League school except it's not in New England>. I actually met him once when he was back for winter break and visited my math class...and kind of skipped most of lunch because it was a really interesting conversation. Later, one of my friends who was eating lunch in that classroom said to me, "Hey, you know that guy you were talking to at lunch? You're going to marry him someday. You don't know it yet, but you will." I just gave her a really weird look. Thanks, but I'm aro.

Archived