List of queerplatonic relationships in shows/books/celebrities

Star Bit

Oh, and looking back on the first page, queerplatonic squish does have an unofficial word; plush, but all these X attraction crush words rhyming with crush is extremely problematic. Squish is only similar because it was a play on the word; it wasn't intended to start a craze of it. I do approve of plush; it does actually reflect a QPR in how you treat plushies, and the term crush did came about because it was a metaphor. Also, you could even look at plush as a portmanteau of platonic crush. So it really is accurate for both a squish and queerplatonic squish, and i kinda prefer saying "plush" to "squish", but then that leaves QPS open for a slang term again-- though QPS could suffice for that. Plush replacing squish would also actually be problamatic in that QPS would become QPP and we already have that mean queerplatonic partner. But if we portmanteau friend crush (colloquial for squish) it would be Fush/Frush, and that doesn't work lol. Though Friend Crush sounds fine to me.

Fire & Rain

Just now I was replying to my own thread about Portlandia earlier. Fred and Carrie play many different characters but they also play as themselves and they seem to be in a pretty comitted relationship with each other and more than your normal friendship. They sleep in separate beds in one room even though their house is huge. At one point they were even dating the same person. They do everything together.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/9/91/FredandCarrieBeds.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140718053918

Ooh, an IRL and show QPR (though in different ways i assume). And celebrity at that, cool.

It's also (virtually) confirmed by them too; in a season 2 behind the scenes (link); they just don't use the literal words QPR.

Dunno, don't read it and can't stand its pointlessness long enough for its plot to start.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't seen it, but i looked up clips, and it seems like they're a couple but maybe not publicly or never enter into such a relationship because it wouldn't be socially acceptable. In one of the clips i saw she kissed her on the cheek and them ran away, said she loved her in another, and the rest had gay undertones. If it wan't for that first scene i wouldn't be making this whole comment. So while technically their relationship is queerplatonic activity wise, they actually have a crush on eachother, which i don't find to be a good queerplatonic example.

Elliott and E.T. !

o-o I never thought of that.

I think i agree. (i.e. hasn't seen the movie in years)

Gajeel and Levy from Fairy Tail

(I havn't seen much of Fairy Tail and it's way too long for me to watch it just for these two, but i know some people think the game show clip is her saying his name/she has a crush on him, but the lip motion doesn't add up; it could very well be Erza, Mira, Yuri, Cana, Sherria, Zera, Libra, Wendy, Katja, or Bora; listed off of wiki so who knows if she's actually met any of them, but the wiki says they're never officially a couple/their feelings made explicit)

• 1 month later...

Rome Godfrey and Peter Rumancek from Hemlock Grove (netflix series, though spoiler, Rome crushes on him with explicit implications but never directly addressed)

Dean and Castiel from Supernaturalu-- But you could also write them off as queerbaiting and not queerplatonic (though I’d say the first season of Hemlock Grove was queerbaiting and the second and third were queerplatonic, if not verging on normal best friends)

Dodecahedron314

Aren't a lot of people in Homestuck in a queerplatonic relationship?

I was just going to suggest this. From the explanations given of the different types of troll relationships, moirails seem a lot like QPRs to me.

It's been a couple of years since I've seen the film (and I should rewatch it), but I think there is a QPS (maybe QPR) in Frances Ha. Has anyone else seen it more recently and can let me know if I'm right/wrong?

Just saw it (link), and eh, it depends. Girls can be closer in best friend relationships, so it can, but it can also not be read as queerplatonic. But i will say that her (adult) male roommates jumping on her bed (with her on it) was odd, but not enough for me to call their relationship queerplatonic. Or rather, it could be called a queerplatonic quality or a queerplatonic friendship, but not a queerplatonic relationship.

I haven't seen it, but from the trailers:

Marnie and Anna from When Marnie Was There.

• 2 weeks later...
ArtisticAlliterations

Yeah,if moiraillegiance counts then Homestuck has had about 5 canon qprs

AceInhibitor

Crowley and Aziraphale from Good Omens. QPR goals.

• 2 weeks later...

Kiyomine and Takara from Komatta Toki Ni Wa Hoshi Ni Kike! (a manga).

The manga is about their friendship thoughout high school. They form such a strong bond without forming any type of love relationship or sex, like in many yaoi mangas or shounen ai. They start by kinda hating each other but because they are roommates and classmates, they spend so much time together that end up with the biggest bond I've ever seen in the manga universe or even in real live. I really wished to have one day that type of friendship with someone.

The ending was kind of anti-climatic to most readers, because they wished they would confess their feelings of each other and start a love relationship, which did not happen. They stayed as friends living together in the same house after high school. They were so close to each other that they would always sleep cuddling in the same bed, they shared like two chaste kisses in a very long manga.

To me this manga describes the meaning of a queerplatonic relationship. A bigger bond than anything in the world, like soulmates, pure and profund. The more than friends, but not lovers thing.

Um, googling it it has them nearly making out and having romantic body language......

Um, googling it it has them nearly making out and having romantic body language......

That's weird because they were merely friends.

I googled it's name just to see what appears and what I saw was that there were a mix of various mangas from the same mangaka (the others are romantic and sexual, but this one is purely platonic at least to me) and scenes that may be misleading I think that's to attract more people (this manga in not that popular and is kind of old), so in google must appear scenes maybe more romantic, when in reality it's not what really happened.

Kiyomine had his sexual partners and kisses too but with other people, but with Takara it was purely an emotional bond so strong, that they prefered to always be together but that was it. The most romantic thing they did would be the two chaste kisses that Kiyomine initiated and Takara always thought that it was some kind of new bullying towards him and a few more intimate scenes related to crying where they hugged. Even so they shared everything together, sleep in the same bed cuddling but Takara never showed any kind of interest in wanting to be romantic or sexual with Kiyomine (he was kind of against of them sleeping in the same bed and would get mad a lot about it). It was purely platonic (or maybe it's me that doesn't know the meaning of platonic, if it's that then I'm sorry...).

Even the mangaka wrote that she didn't know what direction she wanted for them and that's why she left them in an open ending. Who wanted them to be romantic could imagine their future as lovers, since they ended up sharing an apartment, but who wanted them to be purely platonic could to be happy with the ending, since there was not a confession and their relationship didn't change (except in the beginning where they hated each other and would always destroy everything in their dorm room and throw things though out the window) since they began their friendship.

And I've read this two or three times now. There may be hints, but they were never realized. Also this manga has the main focus in friendship and family bonds and the importance of trust and understending each other is more important to have a strong relationship. It's not needed a big level of intimacy, but a big level of emotional connection between two or more individuals. That was the moral I took from reading this manga. If it's not platonic then I'm sorry, but it's the kind of bond they created that I admire the level of trust and understanding, without the sex and romance (although some scenes are romantic but not in that way, once again to me...). When I read the queerplatonic relationship definition they were the first thing I thought of.

(Sorry for the long post, I didn't intend for it to end in this size, but I would remember things and so on)

although

• 2 weeks later...

Um, do you guys think overly codependent siblings or parent and child pairs count as QP?

I know i listed the twins from Ouran but i just thought of the mother and son from Bates Motel.

• 4 weeks later...

Natsuo and Youji from Loveless (manga/anime)

(This one didn't come to mind before because most of the fighting pairs in the anime are couples i.e. making such closeness among them normal, and thus i didn't consider how it would actually look in normal life. For the most part they feel like best friends, but occasionally they do QP things like not leaving eachother's side.)

And eventhough this next one is confirmed by the creator as a couple, that doesn't really mean anything to what's actually canon i.e. in the show, so--

Krista and Ymir from Attack on Titan

Are male and female best friends normally viewed queerplatonically? Are they actually not and we just view it heteronormatively?

I... don't know...? I mean, desiring to live together and raise children without romance sounds pretty queerplatonic to me.

Actually the more i think about this the more i wanna say no (on the grounds of strictly that and the relationship having nothing more to it). It would be odd but i don't feel it would be odd enough to call QP. Raising a kid with a roommate isn't really all that weird. There was an anime where a girl and her two little sisters have like 5 fathers because they were adopted by a cave mining group. They all already ate together so it wasn't much different when they included 3 new girls. I wouldn't say any of these men had a QPR with eachother.

Um, do you guys think overly codependent siblings or parent and child pairs count as QP?

I know i listed the twins from Ouran but i just thought of the mother and son from Bates Motel.

I'd stick with calling those type of relationships seriously skewed and not healthy, especially the relationship Bates has with his mother. I, personally, would like QPs, etc. to be seen as positive forms of relationships.

Codependent relationships are a type of dysfunctional helping relationship where one person supports or enables another person's addiction, poor mental health, immaturity, irresponsibility, or under-achievement. [Emphasis mine]

So then the Hitachiin twins from Ouran should be taken off the list?

Also, couldn't a QP become overly codependent?

So then the Hitachiin twins from Ouran should be taken off the list?

Also, couldn't a QP become overly codependent?

Your first question: It really depends on the family dynamic between the pair. Are they just twins who are really close (as most twins tend to be) or is their relationship the type that could be taken over the line between close family ties and romance (and possible sex? [e.g. "twincest" an idea that makes me gag])? Is it an equal relationship with each person contributing to the whole? Also, if they are just family, then I would not consider them to be in QP, but just close family. QPs IMHO should be reserved for unrelated people who are in a couple/poly situation.

Your second question: Yes, a QP could become overly codependent, especially if it's out of balance, with one partner pretty much taking over the needs and functions of the unit to the point the unit is no longer functional. It can happen in any type of relationship though, not just romantic ones. I'm no expert and recommend such sites as http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/co-dependencyor http://psychcentral.com/lib/what-is-codependence/ for more information.

Well i wouldn't list the Hitachiin twins if they weren't overly close, so no, their bond isn't really a normal twin level. I know the difference between close twins/siblings and codependent twins/siblings, and these two are definitely codependent (as well as having a history of closing everyone out of their lives prior to highschool). Past them being ok with giving the girls twincest (twin incest) fanservice; and yes it's confirmed later in the show that it's strictly an act to get more customers; which does not influence my QP perspective of them; i only consider things done outside their Host Club activities, they also have separation anxiety when one of them will find a partner, are almost always together, and sleep in the same bed (and naked no less).

Also, if QPRs can't be family then they also can't be cousins, and i think some cousins in anime can be QP (at least i think I've seen something like that), so personally there are lines even family wise can be crossed over to QP. To your logic two cousins could do everything in a QP yet because they're cousins it wouldn't be QP.

(Going off a bromance list)

IRL there's:

Zachary Quinto and Chris Pine (i.e. Spock and Kirk in the new Star Trek films; yup, they're not just QP on screen but IRL too).

Ben Affleck and Matt Damon

George Clooney and Brad Pitt

Bruce Springsteen and Clarence Clemons

(Reality Shows which may or may not be fake):

Ronnie Kroell and Ben DiChiara from Make Me a Supermodel

Charlie Herschel and Marcus Lehman from Survivor: Gabon

Kris Allen and Adam Lambert from American Idol

Then they started listing some political relationships that had been described as bromances, and since i don't know where the material they're basing it off of is idk if i should list it.

(Bands which may or may not be fake):

(Alot of Korean and Japanese band managers encourage the members to act this way, especially boy bands; which all of the following are. And i wouldn't be surprised if other countries did so too, so the following may or may not be real. Some also kiss, so that wouldn't be a QPR/bromance.)

One Direction

5 SOS/5 Seconds of Summer

The Vamps

IM5

Exo

2pm

Movie/Series:

Pippin and Merry from Lord of the Rings (borderline QPR)

Peter and Sydney from I Love You Man

Oscar and Felix from The Odd Couple (play/movie/series)

Cory and Shawn from Boy Meets World

Merlin and Arthur from the BBC series Merlin

Womance wise they're less prevalent, but there's:

IRL:

Mel and Sue from The Great British Bake Off and their comedy double act

Charlize Theron and Kristen Stewart

Movie/Series:

Laverne and Shirley (in self titled show)

Jackie and Lucy from Jucy (movie) (they're insultingly called a womance but never actually are; just normal best friends)

(and Frances Ha; which has already been mentioned in this thread, but i wanted to mention it to show that other people have the same view on it)

(Other terms for QPRs are romantic/passionate friendship, life partner, and Boston Marriage)

I only agree with the Star Trek and Lord of the Rings ones. And I suppose "I love you, man" can count as a QPR, but only by the ending, which more so felt like a joke than QP representation. The rest i haven't verified.

Dodecahedron314

Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan could also go on the IRL list. Also, the distinction that this is the Kirk and Spock from the *new* Star Trek movies is important...because from what I understand William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy very much didn't get along with each other, though I could be misremembering. And speaking of Star Trek: TOS, perhaps George Takei and Walter Koenig (TOS Sulu and Chekov) could be added to the IRL list as well? From what I remember, they originally didn't get along, but over time became very close.

• 1 month later...

IRL:

Dax Shepard and Justin Long

Shows:

(opposing gender QPRs too ^_^ )

Bellamy and Clarke from The 100 (i haven't seen the show)

Stiles and Lydia from Teen Wolf (after he gets over his crush on her)

Dodecahedron314

Not sure if I've already mentioned this before, but Neve and Martin from Ignition Zero are in a canonical QPR, right down to explicitly using the actual term! (Additionally, Martin is aromantic, and the two other main characters, Orson and Robbie, are both homoromantic aces.)

Archived