List of queerplatonic relationships in shows/books/celebrities

Star Bit

You haven't mentioned that before, but could you not link us to the series's ending? Just preferably one that displays their QPR.

Dodecahedron314

Oops, it just ended. The point where they explicitly mention the QPR is toward the end here, but it's implied fairly heavily throughout.

• 2 weeks later...

The show's only on its first few episodes currently, but i think i spot a likely QP development between the two main characters of Lethal Weapon; Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh.

• 6 months later...

Actually I would put Athelstan and Ragnar (from Vikings) as a QP eventhough (spoiler) Ragnar was crushing on him; their relationship was always platonic.

And I'd more so say Belame had a QP squish on Clark (from The 100) rather than them being QPPs because I can't even really say they were friends; they hardly have any time to interact with eachother in the show despite constantly around each other.

• 3 months later...

Arthur and The Tick from The Tick

• 3 months later...

Actually, i think non-ideal QPRs should be included in this list; they'd be if it were any other representation list. But we should have it mentioned. Perhaps why if you want.

Kaoru and Hikaru from Ouran High School Host Club (not ideal example-- incest act for their fans)

Norma and Norman from Bates Motel (not ideal example-- unhealthy codependance)

Apathetic Echidna

As you have 'book' in the title I feel I should drag my favourite series into the spotlight.....again. 

The Black Jewel Trilogy (which is actually many more books than 3 books) by Anne Bishop

Surreal and Prince Rainier are definitely in a QPR (or PLP, I'm still working out the difference between the terms)

Surreal is an important but not constant side character, and Rainier has even less of a role. Their story and relationship is woven into several of the books and short stories. 

It starts in the short story “The Price” (a Surreal story) in Powers of Detection: Tales of Mystery & Fantasy edited by Dana Stabenow, a book that is very hard to find but I think the story is now included in one of the later publications by Anne Bishop. It gets it's main highlight in the book Tangled Webs, which can be read as a stand alone but knowing Surreal's character history does make it a richer experience. 

It possibly could be argued that Daemon Sadi (pretty much the main character of the series) is in a QPR with Surreal in flashbacks to before the first book's narrative starts, but he feels she betrays his trust and the relationship ends traumatically for both of them. 

If you really want to get into it, it can also be argued that pretty much all the interspecies friendships are QPRs (for a period of time at least), certainly all the animals who communicate and are given the same rank and status as the human races. There is strong friendship and generally cohabitation to the point of sharing the marriage bed with this non-sexual non-romantic partner animal, there are some fairly heart warming (or heart breaking) examples of dedication to each other that crop up from about the middle of the second book onwards. They aren't pets, they are recognised as equal individuals who communicate and understand. (Ladvarian and Kaelas for ever!) (also Prince Ranon and Khollie!)

Word to the wise though: These books need serious trigger warning, basically the only things that don't happen are beastiality (though it is possibly vaguely alluded to once as a future possibility that didn't happen) and necrophilia (I'm not counting the living-dead sort who have consciousness and the ability to speak). There are no guns or nuclear weapons either but there is still war and mass slaughter and flesh eating slime.  

• 3 months later...
Basketchaos

Not sure if anyone else will even see this thread again, but Pandora Hearts seems filled with qeerplatonicism imo.  This is just from my perspective and not necessarily explicitly declared cannon, but I definitely see these:

- Elliot & Leo seem to basically be in a QPR; they're best friends who live together (Leo being Elliot's servant) and they're together almost constantly

- Oz & Alice could be considered to be in a QPR, though they could also just be a couple as many people say...there doesn't seem to be much if ang romance  between them, but they're very close and even kiss briefly once or twice

- Gil is either crushing or QP squishing on Oz; I think it's sort of open to interpretation for the viewers/readers... it seems very platonic to me, while many other people I know who've read it see it as more romantic (including a few aces and aros, so idk, maybe that's just me)

- Sharon & Break.  Definitely QPR and you can't tell me otherwise.

There may be some others as well but those are the main ones.  I definitely recommend Pandora Hearts to anyone looking for numerous lovely platonic relationships in fiction--the anime is decent but was cancelled pretty early, but the manga is better and longer.  

• 5 months later...

The Expanse with Amos and Naomi (mid second season spoilers, Amos is sexually attracted to her though)

(Light Spoilers for latter half) one sided QPR in Bunny Drop with Rin and Daikichi; specifically after she enters highschool.

(siblings and not ideal unless you exclude their separation anxiety) No Game No Life with Shiro and Sora

And I don't know their names, but two background cops from Bosh

Rei and Taeko from (ep 1 of) Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation

• 3 months later...

I feel like Shawn and Gus from Psych are in a QPR. 

Gon and Killua from HunterxHunter could also be one, although I believe Killua may possible have may have some romantic or sexual attraction to Gon, whereas Gon just sees the friendship side of things. Part of this is may be that friendship means a lot more and is harder to come by for Killua, but I do feel like there’s more to it than that sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

QPS/brief QPR, in Dexter with Dexter and Rudy (aka Brian) (though not ideal because, spoiler, they're related and it does initially feel like queerbaiting)

Would Kobayashi and Tohru from ms kobayashi’s dragon maid count as a qpr? I know the intent of the show was probably to make it romantic but now that I think about it it comes off as really qpr-like. They clearly care about each other but it doesn’t seem romantic to me. (They even basically raise a kid together)

@Rising Sun

Hello! 

Just loved your message about the Doctor and Donna. ( And yes I'm a rebell :P ) .

It's funny because I discovered that I'm asexual ( nobody told me: You Are Not Alone, I figured it out after reading a post about platonic love   ;)

At first I though I might be just heteromantic, but I realized by skimming through definitions that I was more of a queerplatonic. 

And before exploring the romantic spectrum, the way I would have described the kind of relationship I wanted (still want though) with the person I had these troubling feelings was precisely a Doctor/Donna relationship. (You're not mating with me sunshine! )

• 4 weeks later...
SpeckledAngel

I've just started the series but from my understanding: Temeraire and Captain William Laurence from His Majesty's Dragon and the following books, by Naomi Novak. As one of the previous posters mentioned, a lot of animal-partner-bond relationships are pretty darn QP.

Vasiht'h and Jahir from Mindtouch and the following books, by M.C.A. Hogarth, are definitively in a QPR. This pair pretty much defined this type of relationship for me before I had ever heard the term or even knew what asexuality and aromanticism were. Since the books are about their developing relationship, I'll stick a few pertinent details in a spoiler:

Spoiler

They live, sleep, and work together. They've formally acknowledged that they plan to spend the rest of their lives together (after a brief period of turmoil, thus the spoiler, cuz suspense!), but there is absolutely no romance involved. Neither of them are human and they aren't the same species, but that is definitely not any sort of barrier given Hogarth's other books. If there was any romance, it would be there, but there's not, so yay!

And they are just plain adorable! Highly recommend reading Mindtouch (I was super excited to learn just yesterday that there are actually 3 more books in the series than I thought! Huzzah!).

I disagree with a lot of the heavy policing you're doing on what counts and doesn't, Star Bit. Ultimately a relationship is defined by the emotions involved, not the actions (the byline of attraction =/= action, etc.), so making out, sex, etc. wouldn't disqualify. Additionally, there was a discussion ages ago that included in the definitions of QPRs relationships in which one side had romantic feelings and the other didn't, which fogs things up even more.

Since we can't actually consult the characters on their feelings, particularly in television, it makes sense to be more inclusive than exclusive, since it's based on the perceptions of members of the community, and ultimately we are collectively deciding what the term refers to. From a utility perspective, having the list encompass a broader scope is helpful to people who are exploring the possibilities of QPRs for themselves. Deciding whether to disqualify a pair just based on a few scenes of body language or your personal reading of the situation is unjust.

Has anybody said Hitchcock and Scully from Brooklyn 99?

• 2 weeks later...

Jack O'Malley and Heinrich Wolfe from the webcomic Widdershins by Kate Ashwin.  There's nothing romantic between them (O'Malley is canonically aro-ace, and Wolfe happily flirts with any pretty redhead who crosses his path), but they're very clearly everything to each other.

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2019 at 3:58 PM, SpeckledAngel said:

Ultimately a relationship is defined by the emotions involved, not the actions (the byline of attraction =/= action, etc.), 

No. That's the very difference between platonic and not, and queerplatonic has PLATONIC in it. In literally NO country is making out considered platonic; they've researched it. While this isn't exactly the right thread for this conversation, I will elaborate because it may help others. Also, the reason crush/lust involving QPRs are still QPRs is because you're not dating your best friend that has a crush on you, and yet that relationship is still platonic. You can even have both feel romantically but not date for whatever reason and the RELATIONSHIP is still platonic. No matter how emotionally close it's still a platonic relationship. 'But they both feel romantically so they're not just friends anymore, thus it's not platonic'. Would the same be said if no one knew both/one had a crush??? I think not. So knowing/thinking someone has a crush changes the relationship type? No. I'm not saying these relationships are ideal examples of QPRs, it is why I mention it in my listings here. But if one agrees to romantically satisfy said friend then it's obviously not a QPR.

• "Platonic love in its modern popular sense is an affectionate relationship into which the sexual element does not enter, especially in cases where one might easily assume otherwise." (by ScienceDaily.com)

• "Platonic describes a relationship that is purely spiritual and not physical. If a guy and a girl hang out all the time but aren't boyfriend and girlfriend, they'd describe their friendship as platonic. ... Platonic love and platonic friendships are marked by the absence of physical or sexual desire." (by Vocabulary.com)

• "of, relating to, or being a relationship marked by the absence of romance or sex" (by Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

• "purely spiritual; free from sensual desire" (by Dictionary.com)

Archived