List of queerplatonic relationships in shows/books/celebrities

Star Bit

Betty Badinbed

My favourite on-screen hetero QPR is without a doubt Fitz & Simmons from 'Agents of Shield'.

They're even referred to as a single unit, "Fitzsimmons", by the other characters, so close are they and so expected that they'll be found in each other's company.

I like how their relationship is so accepted - there's no expectation or speculation that they should be 'getting it on'.

Another moment is at the end of the movie 'Love Actually', where the aging rock star played by Bill Nighy confesses that he'd rather spend Christmas with the person he loves most in the world - his manager. There are no gay overtones, and not even vivid signs of a bromance, but most likely an ongoing business relationship that morphed into friendship and something more - trust, reliance, a barely acknowledged QPR love. OK maybe I've overthought that one, but it's one of the poignant moments of that film for me.

I'm on the 5th episode, when exactly does their relationship change/ start to get closer? Also, how does he not have a job yet live the way he does?

I can't remember, I'm sorry. I just know I miss the show and miss those two together. Because it's hard to find a relationship like their's on TV.

Will wrote a famous Christmas song, so he gets royalty checks every three months. They never say how much he actually gets, but it must be a lot because he lives off of it and buys a lot of extras.

Oh yah, they did, briefly in the first epiode, but they don't make that seem to be his source of income.

Edit: nvm, they fully address it in the 6th episode. (their sour relationship starts to fade in the 5th) The endings to episode 1 and 11 were a bit over the top though. And some of the plots are a bit too coincidental; decently done but still a bit much as well. But it's a good example of other things like being friends with kids, platonic jealousy, relationships don't last forever (even the great ones), one mention of "they" being a gender neutral pronoun, and men confidently doing "feminine" things (e.g. Will's spa treatment and Markus's sense of fashion, intimate interactions with his mother, into female singers, and friendship anniversary). They start being close friends on episode 4 of the 2nd season and seem to start being borderline best friends on the 7th episode of that season (more conclusively on the 14th).

I just finished the whole series, and contrary to what you said, they do not share everything with each other; in fact I'd say it's rather minuscule; they're just close in other ways. And the way you worded it made it sound like the QPR starts with them raising him together when really that part starts by the first episode and the QPR happens in the last two episodes of the series (if I'm not reading it with heteronormativity, and before those episodes it never seemed like it would escalate to that). Them being mistaken for a couple only happens twice. But with the last few minutes of the final episode, them sprinkling in those couple hints, them starting off as enemies (i.e. a common romantic trope), and them getting gradually closer as the show goes on, i think they were setting it up for them to become a couple in the next season.

So Fiona and Will from About a Boy may not be a QPR.

The only complaint i have about the show is that he got over his first serious girlfriend way too quickly (i.e. literally immediately).

I just finished the whole series, and contrary to what you said, they do not share everything with each other; in fact I'd say it's rather minuscule; they're just close in other ways. And the way you worded it made it sound like the QPR starts with them raising him together when really that part starts by the first episode and the QPR happens in the last two episodes of the series (if I'm not reading it with heteronormativity, and before those episodes it never seemed like it would escalate to that). Them being mistaken for a couple only happens twice. But with the last few minutes of the final episode, them sprinkling in those couple hints, them starting off as enemies (i.e. a common romantic trope), and them getting gradually closer as the show goes on, i think they were setting it up for them to become a couple in the next season. So it may not be a QPR.

The only complaint i have about the show is that he got over his first serious girlfriend way too quickly (i.e. literally immediately).

Maybe I view QPR different than you then. To me they were what I want in a QPR. It seemed to me they shared everything with each other. Will even spent the night doing the healing ritual with Fiona after she got out of a serious relationship. And Will has talked about how, not just Marcus, but Fiona, are important to him.

Anyways, sorry that I misled you. I hope you enjoyed the show though!

<_< But you know the yaoi fans squealed when they said they love eachother (Ragnar to Athalstan and Floki to Ragnar).

I'm just really happy to see the word love being used platonically. So far I've only seen that in one other show (which is polar opposite in comparison); Clarence (cartoon), whom is fine with telling his male friends that he loves them and giving them kisses on the cheek.

Omg, i just looked it up; if people think Ragnar is bi, and some are saying it's cannon. *heavy face palm* Most saying he's at least ambiguously bisexual, and their basis for that seems to always be the threesome offer scene. Some complaining that it wan't "official" because they had to cater to their "bro" predominant viewers (i.e. no gay) and if it was on another network it would've been canon. *face palm* And once again they're saying if you deny the subtext then you're homophobic/ "drowning in heteronormativity". (i mean, I'm Fing bi/pan, and like shonen-ai and shojo-ai to boot, so wtf) *long sigh*

I will admit I was also pretty happy, I enjoy when I see male affection. It sometimes occur in gay-show between friends, but saying someone is gay/bi in the vikings just because they like each other are just too simple put.

--

btw. I did read the ragna saga, it does not mention Floki neither Athenstein (exept a person who buid boats are mention very shortly) so I guess they are pretty much fiction and representing history or mythological aspects instead if they represent anything.

as mention before I defintly think floki is non-straight cause his inspired by loki and pretty outspoken about it. also his childless(soft-cat), "a follower" more than a leader which all these pretty much point in the dirrection of non-straights to me.

Athelstein is christian so regardless of what he is, his not supposed to act on it, special not from men (however I dont think his gay, but that ragnar has a squish on him because he used alot of time with him and are very interesteed in his knowlegde)

I dont think ragner is nessesarry bi because he got close malebonds. there is nothing in the saga or anywhere else I have seen suggesting he would non-straight, so why would a mainstream tv show make him that way (its usunally opposite) also like many other time periods im sure the vikings put alot of focus on male effections since they lived so close together on boths, and fought together, so there has probably been alot of bromance whenever that were platonic or romantic.

___

P.s.

It's kinda imposible to put sexual/romantic labels on characters from the viking age since romantic/sexual orientations didnt exist and since the text that is are written by christians who had a pretty negative view on lgbt+ folks. the only thing is argr which was an old slur like f*ggot today, however this only refers to actions being unmanly, a person who get penetaited by another man, a coward, someone who is about to follow rather than lead (it can also be used for women btw) So it does not decribe anything of what the person had felt or not felt toward others.

okay im getting to nerdy on this. haha..

Idgie and Ruth from Fried Green Tomatoes (the movie.)

@Fox

Oh, and nothing happened with him finding the lyrics or the woman suing him.

And it could be debated that they're just best friends and we're viewing it queerplatonically because of heteronormotivity. Or because opposite sex best friends aren't the norm and thus it's harder to spot what's the platonic norm in those relationships and what's queerplatonic. But as i listed it in the opening post, a queerplatonic relationship is closeness/importance above the best friend norm or sensual contact above the norm.

@Miav

You wouldn't have Vikings season 3 on dvd, would you? The unfindable deleted scene is kinda killing me lol.

Lili/Gerda from man to woman (not the danish girl)

Lili/Gerda from man to woman (not the danish girl)

@Miav

You wouldn't have Vikings season 3 on dvd, would you? The unfindable deleted scene is kinda killing me lol.

No, I watched it on tv and then the rest online. which scenes are you talking about the talk between torvi and bjørn? so many could be delited and I think it depends from which country you watch it from which scens they include.

Yah, it's weird, and i don't know if it's a regional deleted scene or a general deleted scene (i.e. never aired anywhere). You'd think the U.S. wouldn't cut anything out, but apparently they are, and it's all the gay content.

Omg, I finally found it-- by googling "gay vikings scene"-- but only one site had it. And by the scenes it mentions, it doesn't seem to solidly condone what they're saying those scenes mean. link (note, the first link on that page has an abrupt scream before the scene starts) I don't have an account on tumblr so i can't view the second video, but i can view the first and third. While i will admit it was probably borderline flirting, it is not explicit flirting and can be read platonically. It feels like he invites Althelstan to have a threesome with him again because of the crap he went through in Wessex and thinks he deserves to get laid even more; like a gift to a good friend since Athelstan may die the next time they go to Wessex. This is enforced (to me) with him then grabbing Athelstan's hand to look at the crusifiction scar. And contrary to what that person i talked of before said about the scene, there was no butt grabbing (i think they misread the ending of that scene). But with the scenes that would soon follow that incident (i.e. Ragnar not replying to his second wife if he loves her; though he never did, and the Athelstan "i love you" scene), my interpretation of that clip is leaning toward romantic; like 2/3rds of my mind says romantic, yet 1/3rd is still saying platonic.

In the Ecbert scene (note, if you can't hear well past the sexual moaning, a headset could help-- but if you're sex repulsed/avoidant then here's what happened) he talks about a man during sex. He doesn't directly say he's imagining the man sexually, but why else would you be talking of that during sex? He said to Princess Kwenthrith that "Your father was a great man. Not just physically courageous, but a man of [indistinguishable word]." She never asks him why he's talking about such a thing or even seems to mentally acknowledge it. It's not explicit; people talk about things during sex all the time that aren't sexually relevant, and he could even be complimenting her with it (i.e. your father was grand and so are you/ having sex with a great person can be a turn on), but it's completely possible he was doing so with a sexual arousal purpose. On the link i give they say that the mention of Athelstan means Ecbert is attracted to him, but they must be delusional because the only reason they're talking about him is because Kwenthrith asks for him to stand in for Ecbert after he's orgasmed and can't satisfy her anymore. He never says anything about him that implies interest. And they don't mention this in the linked page, but there's also a scene where Lagertha rejects/ignores Princess Kwenthrith's brief sexual advance; which was a kiss.

Also, while i agreed earlier that Ragnar has a squish on Athelstan, Athelstan also holds a great deal of importance to him that's probably above the best friend norm, so i would add it to the queerplatonic squish list. (made this a separate comment from the above so it looks more like an entry to the topic of the thread)

Reinhard von Lohengramm and Siegfried Kircheis from Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Legend of the Galactic Heroes).

Also, while i agreed earlier that Ragnar has a squish on Athelstan, Athelstan also holds a great deal of importance to him that's probably above the best friend norm, so i would call it a queerplatonic squish aka queerplatonic crush. (made this a separate comment from the above so it looks more like an entry to the topic of the thread)

No actually I would expect the US version to be cencured.

yes, however the norm for friendship also changes overtime. what we consider "atypical friendship" or above the norm was normal in other areas and ages, thats why as I say its so difficult to label characters from pre-history times unless its super obvious.

but I do agree they could be translated to qpr in todays view if I where to show some examples of qpr in media and ragner is totally flirtish in that clip.

Daryl and Carol from The Walking Dead

@Miav

Do you have any idea what Ecbert is saying at the end of the bit i quoted?

Daryl and Carol from The Walking Dead

@Miav

Do you have any idea what Ecbert is saying at the end of the bit i quoted?

no its too difficult to hear..

• 3 weeks later...

The Penguin and The Riddler from Gotham?

I considered it once they met but have been thinking of posting it since Penguin got put in jail this season (i.e. in spoiler). I was pondering on whether anyone would really react with "they hit it off too quickly and are concerned about eachother, so it can't be just friendship". And yah, since i was blind to the whole Athelnar thing, I'm pretty sure alot would've thought that.

i.e. since The Penguin asked his newly aquired friend to do something as intimate as visiting his mother's grave for him-- but this QPR may not be an ideal example because Penguin eventually crushes on him.

It's so obvious I almost forgot about it. One of my favourite movies. Leon and Mathilda in Leon the professional.

I suppose since no one has commented against them that they actually agree, but to confirm: Do you guys agree/disagree with the QPRs i listed in the opening post? Do you agree/disagree with anyone else's QP suggestions?

Inori and Shu from Guilty Crown?

They end up implying romantic feelings but me and other viewers of the show don't feel their relationship was romantic. I suppose it wouldn't count; it's their decision on what to call their relationship (though they don't actually call it that, they just don't correct anyone and Shu calls her his everything; though some QPs do just go with the public sometimes instead of begrudgingly explaining it every time). It just feels more like they're mistaking strong platonic feelings for romantic ones is all.

fabulous_unicorn

I guess Usagi and Takahiro's relationship counted as a queer-platonic one. That's what I see it as, even though Usagi was in love with Takahiro.

What? If my memory serves, they have sex. If so, then no, that's not a QPR. I already gave the definition of a QPR in the OP.

fabulous_unicorn

What? If my memory serves, they have sex. If so, then no, that's not a QPR. I already gave the definition of it in the OP.

No Takahiro and Usagi didn't have sex. Usagi had sex with Takahiro's brother Misaki.

But they were making out when his brother came in. Making out is not platonic and thus not QP. But if his friend forced it on him and they don't actually do that then yah, it could be QP. I haven't watched the show in like 5 years so i don't recall what little they did show of their relationship.

Skipper Valvoline

Lewis and Oswald from the Drew Carey Show (they live together, have their own song to cheer each other up, etc.)

Raj and Howard from the Big Bang Theory? (no hate! Just throwing it out here; they're super-duper close and all)

Shawn and Gus from Psych (best friends of all time, though when

Shawn proposes to Juliet he says how Gus is basically a package deal)

Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton from the Avengers (canonically best friends, though before Age of Ultron everyone paired them together)

Dodecahedron314

Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton from the Avengers (canonically best friends, though before Age of Ultron everyone paired them together)

Absolutely seconded. My friend ships them romantically and it drives me nuts, because their relationship is so clearly platonic that it would just be weird otherwise.

IKR; shippers drive me crazy when they insist a clearly platonic relationship is cannonically romantic (especially when both come off as aromantic and we platonic viewers are in the minority). You can't avoid the shippers of Yoite & Miharu (from Nabari No Ou) and Sebastian & Ciel (From Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler). Half of the reviews i looked up on Nabari No Ou (which is admittedly under 10) complained of it being too gay (in a bad way; they weren't expecting a shonen-ai/were borderline homophobic), and on top of that also complained it was a gay cop-out too (which annoyed some of them further). Which i do admit, the show does queerpandering, but their relationship is also genuinely queerplatonic.

I'd say Shawn and Gus from Psych are borderline a QPR, so that's why i didn't suggest them.

Nora and Ren from RWBY.

b580385a9d70f6865ea149b1c6059feb.jpg

We've been friends for soooooooo long! What are the odds we'd still be together? Well, not 'together-together'... Not that I'm not saying that you're not handsome; you are handsome, but that'd just be weird, right?

I'm a huge shipper, and even a lot of platonic relationships I do ship, but I agree on how it gets annoying when people start saying it's a canon romantic relationship.

As for Mathilda and Leon, I'm not sure I count them. She was in love with him, and in the original script they had a sexual relationship, but on his end I could see it being more of a queerplatonic thing.

As for the original list, JD and Turk are the only ones I recognize, and I can see how they are a QPR.

Archived